Third Party Press

ŒWG IG71 Export Rifle

AN-94

While not an Imperial German accepted rifle, this one is a relatively nice example of a IG71 and my first pre 1900 Mauser. The rifle is all matching and in overall nice shape though not without its faults, the worst of which being the barrel has a slight bulge about 12 inches from the muzzle and the rear action screw being quite marred. There are a few differences of note between these export rifles and German accepted examples that I thought I'd point out. Aside from missing the obvious acceptance stamps on the right side of the stock, the receiver has no date of production on the right side, and the barrel is missing the caliber marking. The serial numbering is a bit different on some of the smaller parts and most acceptance is noted via letters thought the cocking piece appears to have Imperial style acceptance. No unit marking present on the butt plate as expected of an export rifle. Break down is as follows:

Receiver: 8191U
Barrel: 8191U
Bolt Body: 8191U, "G" inspection
Bolt Head: 8191
Extractor: 8191
Firing Pin: 8191
Safety: 8191U
Cocking Piece: 8191
Bolt Stop: 8191
Bolt Stop Screw: 91
Rear Sight Ladder Cover: 8191
Rear Sight Ladder: 91
Rear Band: 8191
Middle Band: 8191
Front Band: 8191U, "R" inspection
Triggerguard: 8191
Tang: 191
Trigger: 91
Sear: 91
Trigger Spring: 91
Stock: 8191
Buttplate: 8191
All Numbered Screws: 91

OEWG M1871 IG71 Export.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Receiver Serial.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Receiver Proofs.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Receiver Right.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Receiver IG71 Marking.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Barrel Serial.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Barrel Proofing.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Barrel Markings.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Receiver Markings.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Trigger & Sear Serial.jpgOEWG IG71 Export Trigger Spring Serial.jpg

That’s an exceptional find for sure, congrats! Wonderful condition and thank you for taking such thorough photos. Even without German usage these are great Mausers. I’ll get it in the reference.

By similar non DR exports it would be interesting to find marking for other contract, this barell looks like is crown FW marked which fully corespond with the german rifles same as the fraktur letters are german inspectors presented by Steyr for their contract, a Steyr for other country contract would be normally not marked similar way only by normal austrian letter proofs. Is then possible when really not visible the proof on buttstock that the parts were diverted partly from german contract.
Lack of unit marking only speaks for typical reserve storage piece rifle nothing more. Not all rifles were used by units, they were some numbers in reserve.
Hintermeier speaks for 1873/4 for 212000 rifles made for Prussia, so the U range was certainly already serialed for them but only in 2000 range, possible the over production were serialed to end and possible used for market sales,when not german contract.

Nice example. I just love the machine work on these. Thanks for the great photos.
Thanks! Definitely impressive for the 1870s, the receiver still being in the white under the wood line was a pleasant surprise.

That’s an exceptional find for sure, congrats! Wonderful condition and thank you for taking such thorough photos. Even without German usage these are great Mausers. I’ll get it in the reference.
Thanks! It unfortunately doesn't qualify for my first Imperial German firearm, that goes to my little Mauser 1914 pistol that I posted over on the pistol forum but it is a very interesting rifle and the condition is what caught my eye on this one.

By similar non DR exports it would be interesting to find marking for other contract, this barell looks like is crown FW marked which fully corespond with the german rifles same as the fraktur letters are german inspectors presented by Steyr for their contract, a Steyr for other country contract would be normally not marked similar way only by normal austrian letter proofs. Is then possible when really not visible the proof on buttstock that the parts were diverted partly from german contract.
Lack of unit marking only speaks for typical reserve storage piece rifle nothing more. Not all rifles were used by units, they were some numbers in reserve.
Hintermeier speaks for 1873/4 for 212000 rifles made for Prussia, so the U range was certainly already serialed for them but only in 2000 range, possible the over production were serialed to end and possible used for market sales,when not german contract.
The mix of German accepted parts and Austrian commercial parts is quite interesting and your theory makes sense to me. I'm not really well versed in these and only recently got Storz' book on the 71's and it doesn't really cover export variants aside from brief mention of the Serbian 1880. If the U block was seen through to the end, then did Steyr restart letter blocks or use a different serial numbering style for export contracts?

This is a great one, the condition is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Aside from the bulge in the barrel, the bore is pretty nice too. Would be curious to track how this one got to the states since it didn't see German service.

I dont known how were marked other years but germans got other 178000 rifles next year from Steyr, what i known by Steyr normally didnt use a non letter range and started from A series, so the U series falls into range of 1873/4 reported fiscal production. Lack of inspector proofs on bolt and other parts would be possible by remains of production and reuse in sales per belgian agent. The barell here was evidently diverted from german contract as fully proofed. In listing of Heino he reports that A.Schriever prior 1912 sold on market around 63000 rifles M1871 made in Steyr.

Last edited:
I dont known how were marked other years but germans got other 178000 rifles next year from Steyr, what i known by Steyr normally didnt use a non letter range and started from A series, so the U series falls into range of 1873/4 reported fiscal production. Lack of inspector proofs on bolt and other parts would be possible by remains of production and reuse in sales per belgian agent. The barell here was evidently diverted from german contract as fully proofed. In listing of Heino he reports that A.Schriever prior 1912 sold on market around 63000 rifles M1871 made in Steyr.
Thanks for the insightful information Andy!

I had missed this one when you posted. This is a great example. To Andy's point, this shows some signs of a diverted Prussian rifle. I had one years ago that had the "EN" Argentine rebel marking on the receiver and stock. It still had a Prussian barrel and many of the other acceptance stamps.

Also guilty in having originally missed this thread. A great first antique pickup that's for sure, and still has the brass trigger guard to boot. Appears to have had an interesting history given it's possible diversion from Germany.

I had missed this one when you posted. This is a great example. To Andy's point, this shows some signs of a diverted Prussian rifle. I had one years ago that had the "EN" Argentine rebel marking on the receiver and stock. It still had a Prussian barrel and many of the other acceptance stamps.
Thanks, that's interesting to hear about your Argentine 71. Thinking on it, it's pretty logical that spare or overrun Prussian parts would end up used elsewhere on exports but still weird to see. This one is close to being my first true Imperial German rifle but not quite there.

Also guilty in having originally missed this thread. A great first antique pickup that's for sure, and still has the brass trigger guard to boot. Appears to have had an interesting history given it's possible diversion from Germany.
Thanks! It's not my first antique but it's my first foreign antique and oldest Mauser. I thought only the 71s still in German service ended up swapping out the brass trigger guards for steel during WWI, all the rest kept theirs iirc.

OP, very nice rifle. I am so jealous. These are becoming harder and harder to find in all-matching, collectible condition. Thank so much for the very detailed photos. Great find!!!

Military Rifle Journal
Back