Third Party Press

Police depots!

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
The police depot system is unfortunately not very well documented, but its really quite straightforward.

Hauptzeugamt der Ordnungspolizei

There was only one main depot, the Hauptzeugamt der Ordnungspolizei, which was located in Berlin as a part of the Polizeischule fur Technik und Verkehr (Police School for Technology and Traffic), abbreviated the PTV. Opened in 1927, the PTV was a complex located at Friesenstraße 16 (or Golßenerstraße 4) directly across the street from the now defunct Templehof airport. The complex survived the war and still serves as Police Direktion 5.

Starting sometime in 1935 or 1936, the PTV is referred to as the Technische Polizeischule (or TP), but it appears this may have simply been another name as "PTV" still shows up in documents as late as 1944. So either both names remained in use or the TP reverted back to the PTV name at some point. The depot had three different names: Hauptzeugamt der OP, PTV-Zeugamt, and TP-Zeugamt.

As the main depot, this is where all of the heavy repair work was routed. Unsurprisingly, the work you see is pretty much all WW1 era Lugers. I don't think I have ever seen a rifle, though I am sure they exist. Early ones will be marked with a very unusual and distinct fireproof under 'PTV' while later ones use the same distinctive fireproof under 'TP'. Just like its Army cousins, the depot also assembled new Lugers out of spare parts in addition to the usual barrel replacements.

The Orpo depot supplied police units but not SS security units. That included the local German cops, police battalions on duty outside the Reich, and later the SS-Polizei Regiments which, despite the name, were Orpo men. The RSHA (Kripo, Gestapo, SD, etc.) had its own depots and supply system. I know its confusing, but you can blame Himmler.

Nebenzeugamt der Ordnungspolizei, etc.

There is significantly less info on branch depots. I can only find reference to two: Nebenzeugamt Schneidemühl (Piła, Poland) and Wien. If there were more Orpo NZa, I have been unable to locate any reference to them. There was also a Nachtrichtenzeugamt in Waldau and several Kfz-Depots (Berlin, etc.). Further down the supply line were the Polizei-Nachschublager (supply storage), which seem to be the forward supply points in the regional HQs (PV or BdO) where equipment was shipped by the Zeugamt and stored. These were located in various cities (Kiev, Lemberg, etc.), and police supply units would presumably supply attached units from these as well as with direct shipments from the main and branch depots.

The American document referenced earlier also provides a very long list Waffenmeistereien der Deutschen Polizei taken from a 1942 Orpo document. It provides absolutely no information on what these were, so I am unsure if these were the "local armories" of the various police departments/battalions or if these were a step up the repair echelon.

For the sake of completeness, I guess I should also mention the Polizei-Bekleidungs- und Beschaffungsämter. The BKA supplied clothing, but I am not sure what a Beschaffungsamt would supply in a WW2 context. Just other stuff (including clothing) I guess. The list from 1944:
Pol.Bekleidungsamt: Konigsberg, Posen, Breslau
Pol.Beschaffungsamt: Berlin, Weimar, Köln, Nürnberg, Prag, Wien

Photos

Some attached photos of the PTV/TP in Berlin including post card from the late 1930s/early 1940s showing an aerial view of the complex (or at least the northern side) as well as a Google earth view of the complex today.

The men in the period photos are Orpo leadership, Kurt Daluege and his lieutenants (Winkelmann, etc.), inspecting radio equipment and communications vehicles at the school in May 1940. The demonstration is setup in the northeast corner of the complex.

Attachments

• 2625324.jpg
    2625324.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2625324r.jpg
    2625324r.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 40
  • PD5.jpg
    PD5.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_121-0385,_Berlin,_Besichtigung_der_Technischen_Polizeischule,_Daluege.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_121-0385,_Berlin,_Besichtigung_der_Technischen_Polizeischule,_Daluege.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_121-0386,_Berlin,_Besichtigung_der_Technischen_Polizeischule,_Daluege.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_121-0386,_Berlin,_Besichtigung_der_Technischen_Polizeischule,_Daluege.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_121-0387,_Berlin,_Besichtigung_der_Technischen_Polizeischule,_Daluege.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_121-0387,_Berlin,_Besichtigung_der_Technischen_Polizeischule,_Daluege.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Bundesarchiv_Bild_121-0388,_Berlin,_Besichtigung_der_Technischen_Polizeischule,_Daluege.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_121-0388,_Berlin,_Besichtigung_der_Technischen_Polizeischule,_Daluege.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 46
  • waffenmeisterei.jpg
    waffenmeisterei.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 48
  • OrgChart.jpg
    OrgChart.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 47
Move to Greifswald

In July 1944, the Hauptzeugamt was packed up and moved north to Greifswald on the Baltic coast, presumably to protect it from Allied bombing. An American intelligence document from 1945 lists the new address as "Luftwaffen Kaserne" so I would guess the depot was setup on the large airfield there at Greifswald-Ladebow.

The airfield at Greifswald was northeast of the town in the small village of Ladebow. It was a large and fairly important airfield before and during the war, hosting several bomber squadrons, Lehr squadrons, as well as a combat pilot school. Late in the war, it was home to several night fighter squadrons.

The depot stayed here for the rest of the war until it was evacuated on 29 April 1945. The Soviets entered the town on 30 April without resistance. After the war, all of the infrastructure was either ripped up or blown up and the airfield reverted to farm land which it seems to remain today.

The aerial photo is from 1943.

Attachments

• Greifswald-Ladebow 1943.jpg
    Greifswald-Ladebow 1943.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 23
  • GW.jpg
    GW.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 23
PTV/TP Reworks

A few photos of PTV/TP reworks and depot builds. Some are poor quality, so my apologies. Note the really strange eagle. The PTV marked builds appear to be very early (1933/4 or even earlier), so as you can see German depots were assembling stuff out of parts well before the problems of 1941/42.

The most interesting one is a TP build using a 1942 Mauser receiver. Probably 1943 or even 1944 assembly. Has a couple of HZA depot made parts and a Steyr barrel. In retrospect, not buying this one was a mistake...

I'd be very curious to know if anyone has ever seen one of these eagles on a rifle. Probably more likely to be seen on a K98a than anything else. They have to exist!

Holsters

For a very brief time in 1935/36, police holsters were marked with TP acceptance. 1934 and earlier were marked with the Prussian star, and in 1936 the typical Police Eagle replaces the TP.

Attachments

• 0002_12.JPG
    0002_12.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 2015-03-26 09.54.18.jpg
    2015-03-26 09.54.18.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 55
  • PT g.jpg
    PT g.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 52
  • img_1327_1_3.jpg
    img_1327_1_3.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 51
  • img_1331_1_3.jpg
    img_1331_1_3.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 47
  • img_1338_9.jpg
    img_1338_9.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 47
  • img_1343_1_4.jpg
    img_1343_1_4.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 47
  • img_1344_1_4.jpg
    img_1344_1_4.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 47
  • img_1347_17.jpg
    img_1347_17.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 49
  • img_1348_15.jpg
    img_1348_15.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 48
  • TP marked 1935 holster.JPG
    TP marked 1935 holster.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 58
I have several transcribed period documents (courtesy of online German forums), some more interesting than others, but I picked a couple of the more interesting ones to post. These are mostly machine translated and then cleaned up a bit by me, but I didn't check everything and probably missed a few things. I am going to try to quote these to not overload the post, so we'll see how it goes.

In January 1944, the Orpo Hauptzeugamt issues out Kampfpistolen (the grenade launching variant of the flare pistol) to several battalions of SS-Police regiments. Note the weapons were shipped to the Pol.Nachschublager in Bialystok and Reichshof, and from there, the SS-Polizei supply units would deliver them to the battalions.

The Reichsführer SS and Berlin, January 26, 1944
Chief of the German Police
O-Kdo In WG (1b) 43.050 No. 7/44

Subject: Equipment with Kampfpistolen.

To
den Höheren SS –und Polizeiführer Russland-Mitte und Weißruthenien - with 3 copies each for SS-Pol.-Rgtr. 2 and 13,
den Höheren SS –und Polizeiführer – Befehlshaber der Ordnungspolizei Ukraine - with 3 copies each for SS-Pol.Rgt 10 and 11,
die staatlichen Polizeiverwaltungen in Königsberg, Erfurt, Kassel, Weimar, Chemnitz, Halle, Aussig, Hannover, Magdeburg and Braunschweig - with 1 print each,
die Polizeischule für Technik und Verkehr – Zeugamt – in Berlin - with 2 prints

1) The following units of the Ordnungspolizei will be equipped with Kampfpistolen with accessories and ammunition:
I - III/SS-Pol.Rgt 2 = 234 )
I - III/SS-Pol.Rgt 10 = 234 ) each Pol.-Schützenkomp.= 26
II. and III./SS-Pol.Rgt 11 = 156 )
II. and III./SS-Pol.Rgt 13 = 156 )

2) For each Kampfpistole is initially supplied:
1 ammunition pouch for carrying ammunition during operations (to be attached to the belt)
20 explosive grenades K,
10 rounds of smoke ammunition K

3) The special effectiveness of the weapons, the range of which is about 250 m, lies in their mass use at short distances. In particular, they can be used to replace heavy weapons in the attack, to hold down and blind the enemy in the area of the breach by means of explosive and smoke grenades, to make it possible to approach the fighting positions and to intercept counterattacks in good time.

In defense, Kampfpistolen can be used in the same way to engage broken-in enemy elements and to support counterattacks.
The light and mobile handling of the weapon also allows its successful use in repelling ambushes, fighting suddenly appearing enemies, fumigating enemy-occupied houses, bunkers, etc. When fighting tanks, smoke grenades can be used to blind and camouflage the enemy.

4) Kampfpistolen with accessories and ammunition will soon be supplied by the Police School of Technology and Transport - without prior request - to the units designated in 1.) above. A leaflet (Merkblatt) for the previous weapon will be sent along with it.

5) The supply will be carried out within the framework of the current transports by the Pol. Nachschubführer at SS-Pol.-Regt. 2 and 13 via Pol.-Nachschublager Bialystok and both SS-Pol.-Regt. 10 and 11 via Pol.-Nachschublager Reichshof.
... By order of Fischer
(T175 R8 2 509 664 - 665)

In March 1944, the Germans begin making plans for the occupation of Hungary. The first unit setup is Stab z.b.V (Polizei), a headquarters unit that will eventually become HSSPf Ungarn (Higher SS-Police HQ in Hungary). "PV" seen a few times in the document is the Polizeiverwaltung (Police Administration), a regional police HQ. Weapons in this case were the responsibility of PV Berlin, likely from a Pol.Nachschublager under its command. Note the very specific list of weapons that could be issued: K98a, b, p, or t. No j or k (as seen on other documents).

The Chief of the Ordnungspolizei Berlin, March 10, 1944
Kdo g I Org. (3) No. 409/43 (g)
Quick Letter

Subject: Establishment of a staff z.b.V.

To
a) the Höheren SS- und Pol.-Führer – Befehlshaber der Ordnungspolizei - in Posen and Breslau,
b) the Höheren SS- und Pol.-Führer Böhmen – Mähren – Befehlshaber der Ordnungspolizei - in Prague - with 1 auxillary copy
c) the Pol.-Verwaltung Berlin - with 5 auxiliary copies for the Kdo. d.SchP. Berlin,
d) the Pol.-Verwaltung Posen
e) the Pol.-Schule für Technik und Verkehr in Berlin
f) the Beschaffungsstelle f. Kraftfahrzeuggerät und Kraftfahrzeugdepot der Ordnungspolizei in Berlin
g) the Pol.-Kraftfahrbereitschaft z.b.V. in Berlin
h) the Kommando der Polizeinachschubdienste in Schönwalde
i) the Gemeindepolizeiverwaltung in Görlitz
k) Pol.-Rechnungsamt für auswärtige Einsätze in Grünheide über Erkner
l) the Rechnungshof des Deutschen Reiches in Potsdam, Waisenstr. 30 – 34 - with 5 auxillary copies

(1) A z.b.V. staff is to be set up immediately at the PV Berlin.
(2) The home base for the z.b.V. staff will be the PV Berlin.
(3) The following shall join the z.b.V. staff
(a) Officers:
Gen.Lt. d. Pol. Winkelmann, Hauptamt Ordnungspolizei,
Hptm. d.SchP. Mahler, Hauptamt Ordnungspolizei, as adjutant,
Hptm. d.SchP. Schmidt (Arthur), PV Posen, seconded to the Hauptzeugamt d. OP as ordnance officer

b) Unterführer
Hptw. d.SchP. Krause, PV Berlin, SAK Pankow, as typist
Rev.Obw. d.SchP. d.Res. W. Achtermeier, PV Berlin, Kdt. Abt. Mitte, as clerk
Rev.Obw. d.SchP. d.Res. W. Marquardt, PV Berlin, SAK Köpenick, as orderly

(4) The economic supply of the staff z.b.V. is incumbent on
a) at the installation site of the PV Berlin according to the site regulations,
b) from the day of leaving Berlin, the special staff still to be assigned to the z.b.V. in accordance with the provisions of PDV 33.
The members of the staff are to be informed of the foreign exchange regulations before they leave.

(5) The provisions of the circular of 12.7.1941 - MBliV p. 1303 - corrected by the circular of 5.8.1942 - MBliV p. 1644 - and amendments are valid for the compensation with service clothing.

(6) The officers and subordinate commanders are to be supplied by PV Berlin with
1 Pistol 08 and 7.65 (with 80 and 50 cartridges, respectively),
1 gas mask,
Unterführer also with each
1 Carbine 98 a, b, p or t with 120 rounds of ammunition,
1 sidearm
to be equipped.

(7) Drivers and motor vehicles
The following motor vehicles will be assigned to the z.b.V. staff
a) From the Procurement Office for Motor Vehicle Equipment and Motor Vehicle Depot of the Ordnungspolizei in Berlin:
1 passenger car 5 (Steyr commander's car) RMdI no. 28 628/43
1 Wkw 3 (Ford), 27 859/40
1 motorcycle m. B. (BMW), 016 676/77/43
b) from the Polizeikraftfahrbereitschaft z.b.V. in Berlin
1 passenger car 4 (Tatra) RMdI-No. 29 092/41
c) from the PV Berlin
1 motorcycle (BMW), 03 014/37
d) from the Kfz-Depot Tabor at the BdO in Prague
1 Mlkw 14 (Steyr) RMdI-No. 30 358/43

The above-mentioned motor vehicles are hereby allocated to the PV Berlin, insofar as they have not yet been allocated, and are to be accounted for to the P.O. in excess of the budget.
Change of documents has to take place. All motor vehicles have already been assigned to the staff.

As drivers for these vehicles are assigned to the PV Berlin for the staff z.b.V:
Master of Police Rasch, Görlitz Municipal Police Administration, with cancellation of his secondment to the Main Office of Ordnungspolizei,
Hauptwachtmeister d.SchP. Rupprecht, Polizeikraftfahrbereitschaft z.b.V. Berlin, under
Cancellation of his secondment to the command of the police supply services.
The remaining 4 drivers are to be provided by the Berlin PA.

(8) The z.b.V. staff is obligated to keep a war diary in accordance with the decree of 23.5.40 - O-Kdo O (1) No. 371/40 (n. v.).
(9) The assignment of a field post number will be regulated by special decree.
(10) Accommodation of the z.b.V. staff is regulated by PV Berlin.
A special order will be issued regarding deployment.

On behalf of Flade
T175 R8 2 309 997 - 999

The second unit setup for Hungary was the Sonderstab z.b.V. This would become the BdO Ungarn (Commander of the Ordnungspolizei, Hungary), directly subordinate to the HSSPf Ungarn. This time weapons had to be provided by Nebenzeugamt Wien who was required to deliver them to Brünn. Again, there is a very specific list of rifles that could be provided: K98a, k, p, and t. Weird.

The Chief of the Ordnungspolizei Berlin, March 11, 1944
Kdo g I Org. (3) No. 412/43 (g) NW 7, Unter den Linden 74
Quick Letter

Subject: Establishment of a special task force

To
a) the Höheren SS- und Pol.-Führer Russland-Mitte und Weißruthenien - zugl. f. Pol.-Schützen-Rgt. 31,
b) the Höheren SS- und Pol.-Führer Ostland u. Russland-Nord
c) the Befehlshaber der Ordnungspolizei Prag (with 5 additional addresses), Paris (with additional addresses for KdO Marseille - without attachments), Brandenburg, Münster, Kassel, Dresden, Danzig, Hannover, Stuttgart, Wroclaw
d) the Reg.-Präsidenten in Frankfurt/O.
e) the Pol.-Präsidenten in Berlin (with 4 subsidiary prints, including 1 for the leading Pol. physician)
f) the Kommando d.SchP. in Berlin (with 2 secondary adr.)
g) the Pol.-Verw. in Frankfurt/O., Gdansk, Erfurt, Essen, Leipzig, Recklinghausen +, Magdeburg +, Breslau (+ each with 1 additional address (without appendix) for senior police physician). Pol. doctor)
h) the Pol.-Waffenschule I Dresden-Hellerau
i) the Pol.-Nachr.-Ers. u. Ausb. Abt. Eilenburg
k) the Zentralsan. Lager Reichsarzt SS und Pol. Ausgabestelle Pritzwalk
l) the Pol.-Schule f. Technik u. Verkehr in Berlin (with 1 each for the Hauptzeugamt Bln. u. Waffenm. Geh. Ers.-Abt. u. 2 auxillary copies f. Nebenzeugamt Wien
m) the Pol.-Schule (Schutzpol.) Heidenheim,
n) the Pol.-Schule (Gend.) Suhl,
o) the Pol.-Schule für Kraftfahrwesen Iglau (with 1 sub-department)
p) the Pol.-Rechnungsamt für auswärtige Einsätze in Berlin-Schöneberg, Gothaer Str. 19
q) the Rechnungshof des Deutschen Reiches in Potsdam, Waisenstr. 30 – 34 - with 5 subsidiary copies - without annex.

1) The BdO Prague is to establish a staff in the quarters of III/SS-Pol. 21 in Brno according to the enclosed strength diagram. According to the enclosed strength diagram.
The staff will initially be designated "Sonderstab"
PV Berlin is designated as the home base.

2) The following will join the special staff
a) Officers:
Major d.SchP. Olbrich, Erhard Hauptamt OP, as Chief of Staff and zugl. Ia
Hptm. d.SchP. Weidig, Erich PV Berlin, 18.tactics course, under cancellation of the
Secondment to Staff Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 31, as Auxiliary Officer Ia,
Oblt. d.SchP. Becker, Richard PV Frankfurt/O, as Adjutant
Hptm. d.SchP. Heinrich, Gerd PV Berlin, currently Pol.-Schule (Schutzpol.) Heidenheim,
as Ib
Oblt. d.SchP. Holtz, Herbert PV Berlin, as Ic
Hptm. d.SchP. Künkel, Ernst PV Magdeburg, as IIa/b
Oblt. d.SchP. d.Res. Hunold, Leonhard PV Erfurt, as IIc and court officer
Major d.Gend. Liepelt, Herbert RP Frankfurt/O., seconded as KdO Marseille, as III
Major d.SchP. Jung, Georg PV Berlin, as K-Offz.
Hptm. d.SchP. Borchard, Heinrich-August, PV Berlin, as N-Officer - with cancellation of the
secondment to BdO Brandenburg
b) Administrative officers
POI Preugschat, Max PV Essen
PI Lutz, Georg Pol.-Schule (Gend.) Suhl
POS Ochowiak, Adam PV Berlin
c) office staff
BdO Prague from Ers.-Abt. Mährisch-Ostrau in agreement with Sonderstab
In addition Rev.Obw. d.SchP. d.R. Strojewski, Hans, PV Berlin
1 Waffenmeistergehilfen from Waffenmeistergehilfen- Ers. Abt. at Pol.Schule für Technik u. Verkehr.

3) Assembly
All officers, administrators, subordinate leaders and men have to arrive, if not already ordered, until 13.3.1944 in accommodation III./SS-Pol. 21 in Brünn (by telex or telephone in advance).

4) Economic supply
Sonderstab is designated as the cashiering unit. The economic supply has to be carried out according to PDV 33. The accounting office for foreign missions in Berlin-Schöneberg, Gothaer Str. 19, will be responsible for the accounts.
For the Stab z.b.V. established by decree of 10.3.1944 - Kdo. g I Org. (3) No. 409/43 (g) - the special staff is also responsible for the economic supply.

5) Medical care
Medical care will be provided by Dr. Oberheide - PV Recklinghausen, who is no longer seconded to the PV Magdeburg.
The following are seconded for this purpose
Rev.Lt. d.SchP. Bernhard Zdunek PV Berlin and
Rev.Obw. d.SchP. Heinz Baltroweit PV Berlin
The Central Medical Camp Reichsarzt SS und Pol. - Pritzwalk - keeps 3 complete TSA on call. If necessary, they are to be ordered directly from there, stating the exact shipping address.

5a) Dental care is to be provided initially by the dental station in Brno. A special decree will be issued regarding subsequent care.

6) Clothing
For the equipment with service clothing of the subordinate leaders and men joining the special staff, the circular of 19.9.1941 (MBliV p. 1695), corrected by circular of 5.8.1942, appendix 2 (MBliV p. 1644), applies, however, Tschako is not to be carried.

7) Armament
For the equipment of the officers, administrative officers, subordinate leaders and men of the special staff, the following must be delivered immediately by the Nebenzeugamt Vienna:
2 le. MG 34 with accessories and 2,000 cartridges each
36 carbines 98a, k, p or t with accessories and 120 cartridges each
106 pistols 7,65 mm with accessories and 50 cartridges each
80 Seitengewehre 84/98
5 bicycles, complete
18 Reinigungsgeräte 34
1 kleiner Waffenmeisterwerkzeugkasten für MG und Handwaffen
½ year's supply of cleaning materials for above weapons.
Bookkeeping of weapons, etc. is the responsibility of the state PV Berlin.

The Nebenzeugamt Wien has to arrange for the immediate supply under its own responsibility. Arrival of the weapons and equipment must be guaranteed in Brno by 12.3.44.

8) Motor Vehicles:
In motor vehicles the Special Staff will be assigned:
a) From the Berlin PV
1 passenger car 4 (BMW) RMdI No. 7296/38
1 passenger car 4 (Mercedes-Benz) " 12633/38

b) from the PV Leipzig - Kfz-Depot:
2 motorcycles w. B. (BMW) RMdI no. 03686/87/38,
04616/17/37
c) from the motor vehicle depot Tabor at the BdO in Prague
1 passenger car 5 (Mercedes-Benz) RMdI no. 6339/38
5 passenger car 4 (Wanderer) " 17671/39
13610/37
19902/37
13483/36
12179/38
2 Mlkw 14 (Phenomen) " 27748/43
27717/43
2 Wkw 3 (Borgward) " 27103/44
27104/44

The above-mentioned motor vehicles are herewith allocated to the Berlin PZV, if they have not yet been allocated, and are to be allocated to the PZV in excess of the budget. Change of documents has to take place.
All motor vehicles are to be transferred by land to Brno (Protectorate) for reasons of urgency.

The following motor vehicle personnel are to be provided
a) For the staff
Rev.Lt. d.SchP Otto Müller PV Berlin
Mstr. d.SchP Walter Deutschmann PV Berlin
Rev.Obw. d.SchP. Kranz PV Danzig

b) for the Kraftfahrstaffel
Rev.Lt. d.SchP Bernhard Teßmann PV Berlin
2 Unterführer or men from PV Berlin and
14 Unterführer or men, including
1 master craftsman and 1 locksmith, from the Pol.-Schule für Kraftfahrwesen in Iglau -
Kraftfahrer-Ersatz-Abteilung
These forces, as far as they do not belong to the PV Berlin, will be seconded to there for the Special Staff.
Deployment to the Special Staff in Brno has already been ordered by telephone.

9) Communications
Joining the Special Staff are:
a) Rev. Hptm. d.SchP. Irrgang, PV Breslau, with cancellation of his detachment to the Special Staff.
Höh. SS- und Pol.-Führer Ostland und Russland-Nord,
b) 1 Unterführer from the Pol.-Nachr.-Ers. u. Ausb.-Abt. Eilenburg, suitable as a clerk.

The Nachr. squadron intended for the special staff will be assigned later. A special decree will be issued on the assignment of a Nachr.-Komp. (Author's note: see Pol.-Nachr.-Komp. 304)

10) The required service and printing regulations are to be requested from me, as far as they cannot be obtained in the free trade, cf. RdErl. vm 21.7.1942 (MBliV S. 1557).

11) The readiness of the Special Staff for deployment must be ensured in the shortest possible time; it is to be reported by Fs.

12) The special staff is obliged to keep a war diary according to my decree of 23.5.1940 - O-Kdo O (1) Nr. 371/40.

13) Field post number will be assigned in due course.

By order of. Flade
T175 R8 2 309 989 - 996

In October 1944, a Gendarmerie bicycle platoon (Zug) was quickly setup in Fraustadt from students of the Gendarmerie school which was then supplied by NZa Schneidemühl. Note the Hauptzeugamt's new location in Greifswald as of July 1944. This platoon received some Italian submachine guns!

The Chief of the Ordnungspolizei Berlin, October 6, 1944
Kdo g I Org./Ia (4) No. 65/44 (g)

Quick letter: (Secret)

To:
Commandant Pol.-Schule (Gend.) Fraustadt (with 2 subsidiary copies and strength and equipment statement),
das Hauptzeugamt der OP in Greifswald/Pomm. - with 1 copy -
das Nebenzeugamt der OP in Schneidemühl - with 1 copy -
nachr.
a) BdO Breslau
b) Rechnungshof des Deutschen Reiches in Potsdam
c) Pol. Rechnungsamt für ausw. Einsätze in Grünheide ü/Erkner b/Berlin

Subject: Installation of Gendarmerie-Radfahrzeuges Nr. 1 (Note: this appears to be a Zug or platoon)

(1) Pol.-Schule (Gend.) Fraustadt establishes the Gendarmerie-Radfahrzug Nr. 1 at an accelerated pace.

(2) Structure according to enclosed proof of strength and equipment

(3) Personnel provisions
The platoon commander will be Heinrich Edel, presently Police Commander Fraustadt, home station: KdG Württemberg.

Sub-leaders and men are to be drawn from bed. kv.-Kräften of year 01 and younger and kv-Kräften of year 00 and older. The gendarmes must be fully fit for service in the territory of the Reich.

(4) Weapons, equipment and ammunition, bicycles
The following are to be handed over by the Hauptzeugamt der OP from stocks held by Nebenzeugamt Schneidemühl:
24 carbines a, k, p, t or j with accessories and 120 cartridges each.
36 pistols cal. 7,65 mm w. accessories and 50 cartridges each.
5 MPi w. accessories and 500 cartridges each.
3 le. MG 34 w. accessories and 1500 cartridges each
35 service bicycles w. accessories
1 Leuchtpistole w. accessories and 10 cartridges each white, green and red
4 marching compasses
4 binoculars

(5) The vehicles foreseen in the strength statement are to be taken by the Police School (Gend.) Fraustadt/Schles from the returned motor vehicle stocks. Instead of Stkw 4 passenger cars under 1,7 Ltr are to be used.

I request vehicle type, make, RMdI-No. and home office be reported to me.

(6) The completed formation of the platoon is to be reported to me by FS.
For the correctness on behalf of (illegible) Major d.Gend. signed. Rogalski

Last edited:
How about one more cool document? The release of 100 men for the Polizei-Begleit-Bataillon "Steirmark" armed with 100 G24(t) from Nebenzeugamt der Ordnungspolizei Wien. This was Himmler's personal bodyguard.

Der Chef der Ordnungspolizei Berlin, den 7.Juni 1943
Kdo I O (3) 1 Nr. 301/43

Telex
An
den Inspekteur der Ordnungspolizei in Wien,
das Pol.-Begleit-Batl. Steiermark
den Polizeipräsidenten in Berlin
den Polizeipräsidenten – Nebenzeugamt – in Wien
die Pol.-Schule für Techn. u. Verkehr – Zeugamt – in Berlin

Subject. Replenishment of the Pol.-Begleit-Batl. Steirmark

1) From the Inspector of the Ordn. Pol. Vienna, 100 NCOs or men found fit for war are released immediately from the forces by the special representative of the Fuhrer, General der Inf Unruh and set on the march to Pol.-Begleit-Batl. Steirmark

2) Pol.-Begleit-Batl. Steiermark reports immediately to the Inspector of Ordnungspolizei in Vienna the unloading station and the destination by Fs.

3) Clothing
For the equipment with service clothing the RdErl. of 12.6.1941 (MBliV S. 1303), corrected by the RdErl. of 5.8.1942 (MBliV S. 1644) is authoritative.

4) Armament
The subordinate leaders and men are to be marched with only 1 gas mask each.
For armament, the Nebenzeugamt Wien is to provide immediately
100 Gewehr 24 (t) with accessories and 150 cartridges each,
100 Seitengewehren 84/98 and
50 Reinigungsgeräten 34 (1 for every 2 men)
to the Inspector of Ordn. Pol. Vienna.
Exchanges of documents for the above weapons must be made with the Pol. Verw. Berlin as the home office.

5) Deployment:
Notification of the transport and immediate assignment of the transport number to IdO Vienna will be made from here. The loading and unloading station, as well as the loading and the assigned route number, are to be reported immediately by the Fs to the Main Office of the Ordnungspolizei - Ib Transportoffizier.
On behalf of Flade (T175 R8 2 509 767)

Fascinating write up Ryan. Excellent work. A topic I’d never investigated. Always nice to learn some new stuff .

A collector generously shared a document with me from August 1944 that appears to include a complete list of Orpo depots.

Hauptzeugamt der OP - Greifswald (moved from Berlin in July)
Nebenzeugamt der OP - Schneidemühl
Nebenzeugamt der OP - Wien
Nebenzeugamt der OP - München

And another document I ran across by accident. Polizei-Nachschubkompanie "Albania" was setup in May 1944 as a supply unit for Orpo security forces in Albania. It was composed of German officers/staff, but its members were mostly Italian volunteers. Its transport seems to have been horses and covered wagons. Its weapons were somewhat interesting:

- 6 light machine guns, either Belgian or Yugoslavian (Yugo guns would have been the ZB30J but unclear which Belgian LMG this refers to. FN MLE D? Belgian MG08/15? Probably didn't matter.)

- 154 rifles, either K98a, K98k, Polish rifles, or Czech rifles.

-And 6 Steyr M12, presumably conversions to standard 9mm Parabellum. These were probably for the German officers.

Der Chef der Ordnungspolizei Berlin, den 5.Mai 1944
Kdo g I Org (3) Nr. 16 II/44 (g) Unter den Linden 74

Quick letter

Subject: Formation of a supply company for Albania

(1) The RFSS Commissioner to the Special Plenipotentiary of the German Reich in Albania - Kdr. d. OP - is to set up a police supply company immediately with German skeleton staff and Italian volunteers. In accordance with KStN 1253 n of 1.10.1943, a Pol.-Nachschubkomp. is to be set up immediately. The company is to be called
Police Supply Company "Albania"

(2) The group leader as well as the leader and sub-leader positions of the platoons and the convoy are to be filled by German personnel. The other positions are to be filled by Ital. Auxiliaries are to be called upon.

(3) The following shall be seconded for use in the supply company
a) Officers
Rev. Hptm. d.SchP. Heinrich Brandt, PV Hamburg
Rev. Lt. d.SchP. Hermann Kammeier, PV Hamburg

b) Subordinates and men
From the Pol.-Ers.-Abt. in Mährisch-Ostrau are to be provided
1 company commander
2 platoon leaders
9 squad leaders
1 accounting officer
1 catering sub-chief
1 kitchen sub-chief
1 clerk

(4) Medical care
Medical care shall be provided by the medical officers of the Wehrmacht, Waffen-SS or RAD.

(5) Dental care
Dental care is to be provided by Wehrmacht stations, etc.

(6) Horses
As far as possible, the need for horses (one R., 10 le. Z. and 2 s. Z.) and equipment is to be covered from own stocks. An application must be submitted to me for any additional horses and equipment required.

(7) Armament
For the equipment of officers, subordinate leaders and men with weapons on the march, my RdErl. of August 3, 1943 (MBliV p. 1292) applies in conjunction with BAV No. 39 No. II of August 14, 1943
To equip the supply company, the Nebenzeugamt Wien is to provide
6 l.M.G. (b or j) with accessories and 3000 cartridges each,
154 carbines 98 a, K, P or T with accessories and 150 rounds each,
6 pistols Steyr, M 12
158 bayonets 84/98 and
57 bicycles, complete
to be handed over.

Deliveries to (7) and (8) are carried out in rail wagon transports, which for transport reasons can initially only be dispatched to BdO Belgrade.Registration of the transports and immediate allocation of the journey no. is arranged by the Main Office of the Order Police - Ib/To - which must be notified by FS of the readiness for loading, the loading station and the required wagon space as well as later the completed loading together with the allocated journey no. and wagon designation.
B.d.O. Belgrade and the head of the Albanian police are also to be informed by FS of the departure of the transports, stating the journey number
Arrange for forwarding from Belgrade B.d.O. Belgrade and Commander of the Ordn.Pol. Albania by mutual agreement.

(8) Covered vehicles:
The Hauptvet. Park of the OP provides 6 field wagons 40 complete with tarpaulin and entrenching gear as well as
39 sets of shoeing material (nails, studs)
6 wrenches
6 sets of cleaning tools
from.
Shipping address and horseshoe sizes are to be sent directly to the Hauptvet. Park of the OP in Cottbus, Markgrafenmühle 1.

(9) Deployment
The forces are to be deployed to Tirana by 20.5.1944 as individual travelers via the Pol.-Einsatzleitstelle Wien.

(10) The deployment of the supply company is to be reported to me.
For accuracy By order of
Sincerely yours Hauptmann d.SchP. gez. Rogalski
Distribution list within (including Rev. Hptm. Lange, Pyck, Grasse, Min.Reg. Vorwerk, OBR Frank, AR Eckstein, AR Riemer)

Military Rifle Journal
Back