Third Party Press

Prefered Years for the k98

dfris

Ok, So iv been reading up on the K98 Mauser, mainly I want to evently purchase one, and want to have some knowledge of this rifle. This rifle seems to require a bit more knowledge to buy one, than say a Swiss K31. Also I have been told there are many fakes out there, so one must know some about this rifle.

So i was reading the book Mausers Militry Rifle, by Neil Grant, he stated that as production of the 98k was ongoing through WW2, the rifles got more crude in production. And by the end of the war, they were mostly laminated stocks and rough finishes, and started to stamp parts instead of milling.

So my question is, are the early years 98k the ones to get? I know many of these rifles were re-armored, and have mixed serial numbers, are these still considered quality rifles to get for collections?

I am not looking to have an orginal Hilter owned K98 Mauser. lol just trying to get a nice WW2 german mauser, and has some history behind it, and start collecting, other countries ww2 rifles.

It's more of a personal preference. Some people lust over kriegsmodell (late war with crude finish and many omitted parts) some prefer pre war, etc... my suggestion is to browse the picture reference and find something you'd be interested and focus on that. Do your searching on this forum for the already existing information. The books written by the authors who own and frequent the forum are also incredible pieces of information.

Warning though....one rifle will not suffice and usually ends in a large collection/addiction!

Last edited:
Laminated stocks were used from about 37 onward mixed with walnut to the end.
Some guys put a premium on a walnut gun, some don't.

Stamped parts were coming on rifles from factories in 1943 and the guns were still very solid. Some makers never had their quality suffer and some went faster and farther then others. But this really only started concurring in late 44.

There is a banner on the website for the books about k98k by the owners of the forum. If you only want one gun, it may be a lot to invest but nice you decide on a period they are a good tool.

As to the best year? There is no right answer. Some guys love 45 stuff, some guys love prewar, some love mid war. Its really all preference.

I personally prefer the pre/early war variety. The bluing and craftsmanship is a lot more consistent and of higher quality than mid/late war rifles.

I say, being completely new to it all and knowing very little ( I'm learning) , that the best is one is the one you're happy with.

Most people in your position (wanting 1) usually choose to buy a 98k made by Mauser Oberndorf, and usually a wartime made rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think If I were starting today, I would want a nice byf made in early 1944 as a representative piece.

It’s a matter of preference, the late war rifles reflect the desperate times and show shortcuts while the very earliest war rifles are more like civilian hunting rifles in terms of fit, finish, and quality. I recommend starting with with something mid-war, as advised above a mid war byf code would be easy to find in good condition. Watch the trader on the forum here, it is absolutely your best bet to get a legit, honest, non-humped rifle!! And welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They take a lot of looking and a degree of luck not to spend the GNP of a small country, but my preferences are all-original high condition Mauser Oberndorf or Borsigwalde with four digit dates. The craftsmanship on these set nearly a unique standard. Some buddies prefer the late wartime rifles but I recall some German vets cautioning me about shooting them. This may be nonsense, but they believed it. Toni F. recalled being at the range late in the war and having a new rifle split nearly the length of the top of the barrel but the shooter was unharmed.

1939-1944 (early letter block '44) ;) I like earlier if it's reworked or depot/armorer repaired.

My first bring back k98k was a byf43. It was a bolt mismatched but I was happy as hell with it and was a great shooter.

My first K98 I found as a kid in 1984 in the forest where she was from the war. She stood by the tree. It was rusty but complete. I remember she did not open the bolt. Manufacturer CE44. The quality of the mauser rifle quality has been Mauser and Zbrojovka Brno, all over the war.

I would concentrate on finding the best rifle you can find at the right price regardless of maker. It can be hard to find honest/decent K98s without paying a premium. Once you have a solid example, you could be more patient to find the maker/year that you want the most for your second K98.

I personally like the look of the cupped butt plate, walnut stock with a H style front band. So i guess if I were looking, I would be going after an early war manufacture that has those things. Take your time and figure out what you want. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for the replys. I am thinking of an early or early mid war, Since my thoughts right now, are just one rifle, so i think a nice well made, matching number would work just fine, just have to gather up with some coins.

Military Rifle Journal
Back