Third Party Press

Real period pic or fake?

The photo grain looks wrong - too much of the soldier is in focus - the original pics tend to have a shallower depth of field, those old lens were pretty slow.
Even in bright light it was a pretty narrow level of focus.
His jacket and helm definitely appear crisp at all levels.
Just my unprofessional opinion - (smiling)

If they had closed down the shutter when taking the pic they could have faked an older lens somewhat.

Quite fake.

Unfortunately, photos of reenactors keep making their way around the web, being passed off as the real deal. And it's not just WW2 reenactors, either. I was recently searching for photos of IRA members with AR-18s, and kept stumbling across the same photo of IRA reenactors!

Last edited:
I have no idea how this pic is making the rounds but it has been for years.

Attachments

• mg42 fj.jpg
    mg42 fj.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 88
The period correct pics have a "look" all their own..if something doesnt look right..it isnt.

In the their zeal to make them look as good as possible they are making them look not legit.

A digital camera has the ability to do a lot of stuff...but the one thing it cant do is make pics look like the werent taken with a digital camera. Hard to replicate low/old technology with high/new technology...imo

If Bruce had not provided the background on the BBOTW pic where Jon had the original glass plate negative, I would swear that pic was a fake. It actually looks like it was taken with a digital camera yesterday!

The first pic is a fake from a WW2 reenactment. The photo was taken at Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia and sold as an original photo on ebay.

fort-mifflin-quarters-lg.jpg

fj with mg42 was taken at a WW2 reenactment at Zavalla, Texas 8 years ago. It's also being peddled as "original" on ebay.

The first pic is a fake from a WW2 reenactment. The photo was taken at Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia and sold as an original photo on ebay.

View attachment 94283

I hope the Seller is listing it as a rare photo of the little known SS raid on Ft. Mifflin in '43. Mission was to destroy the Dish Network satellite on floor 2. :facepalm:

Although it has been proven fake, here is the original picture in color.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 53

Military Rifle Journal
Back