Third Party Press

Reappraisal of a DSM 34 replacement stock

Deejay

As I was in a hurry to replace the stock of my sporterized Mauser DSM 34, I had not paid attention to all the clues it could provide regarding its origin.

XnPzKj6h.jpg

First of all, I had mistaken a number stamped onto the handguard for the serial number of the original rifle.

ejvB9eYh.jpg

lvRrQlKh.jpg

In fact, the serial number was stamped using smaller figures : 473.

uHq2ICWh.jpg

This serial number is matched by the one which is written on the stock. The eagle which is stamped to the right of the serial number is most probably a fake marking...

... as are the other markings stamped elsewhere on the stock.

t7x53drh.jpg

DD4jEE2h.jpg

There are yet other, less spurious markings on the stock and buttplate, but I am at a loss as to what they might mean :

OUYAwcsh.jpg

N I (the first letter seems to be missing) at the very bottom of the stock.

KOqVsKvh.jpg

141 (runic S 41?) or something of the sort on the inside of the buttplate.​

Bearing in mind that this can't be a Mauser stock, would any one of you have an idea where this stock might come from and whether the buttplate came with it ?

A_0475.jpgA_0444.jpgA_0468.jpgA_0450.jpgA_0451.jpgA_0454.jpgA_0461.jpgA_0463.jpgA_0453.jpgA_0442.jpg

Last edited:
The stock is off a Mauser dsm36 based off the serial # and the way the serial is applied. Only Mauser did them this way.

All the rest of the stamps are fake. :facepalm:

I fell we have discussed this one before.. ??? Looks familiar

Yes, we had, but I hadn't taken into account the correct serial number on the stock. Why that double serial number on the handguard, if I may ask?
I'm suprised this is a Mauser stock, as the cut in the wood below the cocking lever is not rounded but square - no Mauser rifles I have seen had square cuts.

A serial number of six digits could only be from a BSW DSM, if that is what the rifle is. I thought Jim had mentioned that? The 473 (or whatever it was) number, if indeed from a Mauser, would have been way before any DSM 36 changes were put in place, late in 1935. Wayne is right about all of the acceptance stamps and SS markings being bogus. I remember you had posted this before, but do not recall the maker of the rifle. I am thinking this was a Mauser DSM? At any rate, if you get a new replacement stock it will at least clean up the fake markings which someone put on this stock. Shame to see this done, but it happens.
Steve

Just looked at all this again, and the photos. The penciled "473" in the photo of barrel channel was likely done by same faker who added stamps, to give the appearance of everything matching there, maybe. Hard to say. Since it is a Mauser rifle, the six-digit wood has been transplanted. Sad that someone added the marks on it, as in so doing they really ruined a good stock.
Steve

The stock (of unknown origin) was sold to me to replace the sporterized stock of my Mauser DSM 34. The pencilled sn on the stock (473) is the ONLY visible serial number on it, so I suppose it is genuine. What puzzles me most is the dual numbering on the handguard : do you think it was somehow forcematched? The buttplate could very well be from another rifle, which would ultimately make my DSM 34 a mixmaster!

I can't understand why someone had to add fake markings on the stock as a DSM stock is already per se a much sought after item.

SS makings mean more money. The only maker that I am aware of that penciled the serial number on the stock and hand guard was Simpson/BSW. It is a shame about the fake markings.

The stock (of unknown origin) was sold to me to replace the sporterized stock of my Mauser DSM 34. The pencilled sn on the stock (473) is the ONLY visible serial number on it, so I suppose it is genuine. What puzzles me most is the dual numbering on the handguard : do you think it was somehow forcematched? The buttplate could very well be from another rifle, which would ultimately make my DSM 34 a mixmaster!

I can't understand why someone had to add fake markings on the stock as a DSM stock is already per se a much sought after item.

The pencil marking does not strike me as having been done by a German in the 1930s, but we will never know. The scratchings on the inside of the buttplate do look authentic as a "141" but forget the "rune" idea. The handguard likely came from a late BSW, but I think you have assessed the situation well that your replacement stock was assembled from "this and that." Whoever put the fake marks on the stock either wanted to impress himself, or boost its value to cheat someone else. No telling.
Steve

I had nurtured some hope that the stock and its handguard might have come from the same rifle, I must admit, but let's face it : my trainer IS a mixmaster!

Still, I do like the way it looks in its "non genuine original configuration" :biggrin1:

It's a sweet little rifle to shoot, that's for sure !

Here is a short video of my DSM at the range (the shooter is a colleague there who wanted to try it) :

I already planned on shooting one of my training rifles on Monday, this is only further motivation to do so. Not sure which one I will take though.

Military Rifle Journal
Back