Third Party Press

Reloading for the G43

Do you have a shooter's kit installed?
Generally, the start and lower loads from the reloading manuals is where I got data from; Hodgdon and Vihtavuori online data and Hornady's manual.
I used data for the same group of powders commonly used for the M1 Garand and M1a/M14.- the various 4895s, 4064s, N135, N140, Varget.
Follow Apfeltor's guide to adjusting your shooter's kit. He has video on the "tube".
:Disclaimer: Data that follows is what I use, I don't recommend others use my data. It's just commentary on what I do. Work up your loads using published manufacturers data.
I aimed at 2400 to 2500 fps with 150 grain spitzers and 2400 with 170/175 grain boat tails. Mild loads that don't tax the old girl and close to the lowest sight setting at 100 yards for mine. Flat based shoot better in my rifle than boat tail. Spears are cheap, Sierra's and Hornadys are good, PRVI 175 grain HPBT are also very good, but flat base hunting bullets do better for me.
After experimenting, my rifle likes 44 grains of Any 4064 or N140 with 150 grain. With 175 grain, 42 grains of 4064 or N140.
Nice light and smooth cycling. My rifle seems to function best with the smallest port plug and 4064, N140 speed powders. My rifle didn't really respond well to the faster powders like TAC, H4895, and N135. Just my preference on perceived function. YMMV.

Last edited:
44 grains IMR4064 with a 150gr is my favorite, accurate and does not beat it up. 45 grains of 4895 works fairly well too. Both are tame. 4895 seems to beat the casing less but that may be a fluke.

If you really want to take it easy on your rifle, shoot cast lead bullets.
I'd be careful with cast lead bullets in a semi-auto. Even with a good load you can end up with leading issues in the gas system. At the very least you want some kind of hard coated lead.
Looking for reloading data for the G43.
I just shoot my general purpose 8mm loads that I use in the K98k and Gew98s. The key is to dial your gas system in for the load and shoot only that through it.

I like the H-150 sp at about 2400 / 2500 with a powder like I-4064 in mine also . Shot more accurate than I was expecting . I would not use cast in that rifle . With 30 years at my public range and as a gunsmith , I have seen more rifles screwed up with cast than anything else . Massive leading , bulged barrels from shooting a light cast load that sticks in the barrel and shooting again .

4064 works well. I stick to lighter bullets (150-170) with tuned gas system. IMR 4166 is even better but its hard to come buy lately.

38 grains of varget with a 200 gr bullet with resized .30-06 military brass.

Plus a steel blind rivet in the throat of the gas piston to act as a restrictor.

Enough energy to cycle the action even with new springs but doesn't bang things around too much.

Also, as the headspace in mine runs way long (beyond field gauge) I size the brass to the chamber. Extraction is tough enough such that brass is not reused.

Military Rifle Journal
Back