Third Party Press

Reworked Gew.98 help...

Dr.Mauser

So Ive been looking at getting this rifle for a while, but dont know much about them, I have a deep appreciation for German firearms because of my family history and want to know more about this particular rifle. Its a Danzig dated 1917/1920, its been cut down to the size of a K98 and also has the same rear sights as the K98, there are a few Nazi era Waffenamts on the rifle..it looks almost like this one (note this IS NOT the rifle im buying this is a reference picture):
danzig.jpgdanzig18d.jpg

Welcome Doctor Mauser, - how is this rifle similar to the one you are interested in?

Regarding Gew.98-98k conversions, they are not common, and most that exist are not really conversions, rather they are either reworks or depot builds using a Gew.98 receiver. How the barrel is marked means a great deal, and this rifle, as a example, is not very practical.

Describe the markings on the barrel and receiver, and if the stock matches, it is important.

Regarding the Danzig 1917/1920, it just means the receiver (any original parts) remained in German government hands through the disarmament act. Any configuration is possible and the marking isn't particularly helpful beyond this.

Good luck with the rifle!

While anything is possible, it isn't likely and how would you authenticate such a rifle?

There were portable machine shops, and they probably did what repairs were practical but shortening a barrel to 98k is not typically a practical solution for a busy organization dealing with many more pressing repairs. I suspect if an upgraded Gew.98 came into a field repair shop (probably not often consider these were second line rifles and not front line rifles) it would be scraped for parts, or sent back to a depot.

Converting a Gew.98 to 98k is more involved than just shortening the barrel, and it would be more practical to re-barrel a Gew.98 receiver with a ordnance spare barrel, essentially using the receiver and some incidental parts mixed with ordnance spares and or salvaged parts.

If a field unit would go this far is anyone's guess, I suspect they had more pressing tasks at the front and most would just part out rifles that demanded significant work.

The main thing is how would you "today" determine a period field unit conversion or re-barrel from one cobbled up today, as while the Ordnance staffs and depots marked their work with acceptance, but I doubt a field unit would, and if we know anything about such field expedients (WWI it was common place, as Imperial-Weimar era they were rather frugal, but nazi era very wasteful and tended to use a lot of ordnance spares) they did not generally mark the rifles at lower level repair (Tikki Hut repair depots)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
GREAT pic, thanks for sharing!

I'e seen the same thing, just different period and context, but oh so similar...

Pat

Is it worth the buy or should I get what I really want...if you can help that would be amazing, I'm looking for an Early/Pre-War dated K98 something 1936-1940. I'm just wanting something I know has a lot of history behind it, my Opa was in the 1 SS LAH from the invasion of poland until mid 43 when he transfered to the 12th SS HJ as an NCO and served through the end of the war...my point is, from all the stories he told ,me and everything he went through I really would enjoy a piece of history that saw as much action as he did.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back