Third Party Press

Rust on Conversion Kit Barrel

flareman

Gentlemen, just acquired a conversion kit barrel, attached to "receiver" with bolt, floor plate and one
magazine for K98K, no box, no other accessories, the bolt and receiver, magazine and floorplate,are blued,
original blueing, all parts matching numbers including barrel, , early waff.. eagles, serial number 6534, receiver marked, EL 24 in one area, another area- 4./J.R.4.7, Here are my questions:(1) Barrel apparently produced
"in the white", has suffered some serious rust, probably some shallow pitting, have seen all types of
rust removal from naval jelly to immersion in half acetone/transmission fluid, electrolysis, etc., (a) can
the barrel be removed from the receiver and if so how for immersion, (b) the best way to remove the rust, (use of steel wool), etc, inside of barrel, great condition, good rifling, (c) The markings what are they, particular
group, etc? Thanks so much for any assistance, Flareman

Flareman, I'm a little unclear on the problem. Is the subcaliber unit frozen in a barrelled receiver by rust between the two barrels?

Edit, I understand now, I have one installed in a Spanish Mauser but have never examined it as far as how the liner barrel is attached to it's receiver. If no one chimes in, I'll remove the unit and try to see if liner separation is possible or practical.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, just acquired a conversion kit barrel, attached to "receiver" with bolt, floor plate and one
magazine for K98K, no box, no other accessories, the bolt and receiver, magazine and floorplate,are blued,
original blueing, all parts matching numbers including barrel, , early waff.. eagles, serial number 6534, receiver marked, EL 24 in one area, another area- 4./J.R.4.7, Here are my questions:(1) Barrel apparently produced
"in the white", has suffered some serious rust, probably some shallow pitting, have seen all types of
rust removal from naval jelly to immersion in half acetone/transmission fluid, electrolysis, etc., (a) can
the barrel be removed from the receiver and if so how for immersion, (b) the best way to remove the rust, (use of steel wool), etc, inside of barrel, great condition, good rifling, (c) The markings what are they, particular
group, etc? Thanks so much for any assistance, Flareman

Best thing to do is like I did on this Dutch Beaumont. 0000 bronze wool and 100 weight motor oil. No steel wool.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?12965-1871-88-Dutch-Beaumont-Vitali

I might wipe with kroil several times a day keep it kroil moist, then come back with bronze wool and ballistol or clp or remoil etc.

I have had luck with a product called Barricade. I just followed the instructions on the bottle. I went slowly using 0000 steel wool and wiping with a clean patch between applications.

Rust on conversion kit barrel

Update on Rust on conversion kit barrel, took all the good advice, bought Kroil penetrant, got a
1/2 inch PVC pipe, cut it to 22 inches (length of barrel only), immersed in Kroil for 4 days,
top of PVC pipe fit perfectly such that no blued area of the receiver was exposed to Kroil,read that
Kroil if left on blued surface for any length of time, will remove the bluing (1-2 days, not sure?)
(barrel in the white)took it out and used bronze fine wool, really great result, still some staining, no pitting,
back in the tube for another four days with additional bronze wool, thanks to all that
responded to my thread, Flareman

Rust on conversion kit barrel

Update on Rust on conversion kit barrel, took all the good advice, bought Kroil penetrant, got a
1/2 inch PVC pipe, cut it to 22 inches (length of barrel only), immersed in Kroil for 4 days,
top of PVC pipe fit perfectly such that no blued area of the receiver was exposed to Kroil,read that
Kroil if left on blued surface for any length of time, will remove the bluing (1-2 days, not sure?)
(barrel in the white)took it out and used bronze fine wool, really great result, still some staining, no pitting,
back in the tube for another four days with additional bronze wool, thanks to all that
responded to my thread, Flareman

Oh, Yes, forgot, put cap on one end of pipe and stood up straight in gun cabinet, no spillage
of Kroil, Flareman

Military Rifle Journal
Back