Third Party Press

S28 mauser

Cfry

I'm new to the collecting world and I was wonder how hard it is to find a s28 rifle in any condition? Any responses will be appreciated.

According to Steves and Karem, k98 karabiner - about like finding "hen's teeth". I think they estimate only about 15,000 produced.

S28 rifles can be mistaken as a G98m and basically are the same thing.
The one I owned I sold to mrfarb. It was an only different via the markings on the receiver if I remember correctly ?

An S28 is a Kar.98b, at least originally, - most you come across are in Gewehr98 stocks, mostly because most known came out of the Albanian imports in the 1990's and are thorough mismatched.

It is impossible to know for sure, but Mike is probably about right at 15,000 S28/98b made, they seem to have started with assembling spare-leftover Oberspree (some 1919 dated) & DWM receiver into upgraded Gewehr98's (Gew.98M) and this lasted to about the mid-7500 range, then in the 9000 range the first S28/98b begin to show up and last until the 6000 b block, though more probably exist.

We can connect these two variations due to acceptance patterns and markings unique to the S28 being known on these early rifles, plus the fact that one seems to start where one ends.

As for the stocks, generally no, they are not S28 marked (perhaps inside), but you can count the known S28 rifles with original stocks on one hand and still hold a beer... not enough is known about the stocks to be sure of much, other than known "original" bolts and stocks make them Kar.98b originally.

Well I believe I have an s28 with the original stock and it's almost complete it's just missing the bolt and the floor plate is from a different rifle and there are no import marks on it.

Agreed, if it is an S28 then it is a scarce rifle, - if the stock and most parts match it is a rare rifle, valuable too.

[SUP]image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg[/SUP][SUP][/SUP]Sorry for the poor quality photosimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 84
I'd say you have the original stock- the Crown O inspections bear that out. However, you missed one important photo - the bolt cutout in the stock. Should be cut for the bolt knob relief like a K98b. This is probably the most complete one I have personally seen. The highest reported to date is in the 6000 b block of rifles. I have about 8 pages in the Karabiner98k book on the S/28 rifles, wish I had photos of yours when I wrote that chapter!

Your stock markings are interesting too, similar to other 98b that I have seen. Belonged to the Ausbildung Eskadron of the 10 Reiter Regiment. Here's a link to some info on them.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Kavallerieregimenter/KavR10-R.htm

I will try to get a photo of the stock cutout later sorry I missed it, I took the photos late last night. Well I guess I didn't do to bad for 75 bucks.

I agree with Mike, the rifle is about as nice as these come, though 1506 a is the nicest known by far, it appears to be fully matching and original. This is a nice rifle and very rare in this condition, - while many are known, nearly 30 recorded, the vast majority are really little more than barreled receivers, only a handful in "collectible" condition. Worse loose parts for a restoration are extremely hard to find...

Impossible to say what this rifle is actually worth, $75 is almost criminally cheap, but because I have never seen one for sale before (one with the stock and this many original parts), one would think it would be worth a considerable amount of money. Lacking a bolt really hurts value, probably more than it otherwise would on another rifle, - with the original bolt I would think $3k or better easily if listed right, lacking will hurt it a lot probably. (nice Simson 98b have done $3k and better often, this rifle is much more rare than your average Simson, - early Simson's in matching condition are rare, later blocks not so much)

Of course you have the challenge of many potential buyers not knowing the difference between a Simson 98b and an S28, some wouldn't realize any difference, - Mike's work on this subject is the first it has been put in print that was widely distributed.

Anyway, you have a very nice and rather rare rifle, - you didn't say whether there was any chance of finding the bolt, if there is even a small chance of doing so I would put some effort in doing so, I bet that bolt could, if it is the original one, make this rifle worth many hundreds of dollars more. I would offer the guy you bought it from $200 if he could find it, if he can, that rifle would probably be worth around $3k or more.

Very cool! This is awesome to see! I found one Jan 1st this year a mile from my house although missing the stock and bands. It is interesting to compare them and see how the stock might have been marked. Thanks for posting!

unit mark

just observed that it seems that these rifles were given to the cavalry training squadrons my S28 was at the 7th cavalry regiment , is this a rule ? ....

S28-16-.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back