Third Party Press

Schutztruppen-Gewehr 98 teaser

MichaelWC

Well I added another Schutztruppen-Gewehr 98 to my ever growing Schutztruppen collection. This rifle was used in DSWA or German SouthWest Africa. This is one 10,069 Schutztruppen-Gewehr 98's recorded in the 1913 inventory. Very few survived the war.
From the description in the auction. The rifle was probably brought back by a South African veteran of the German Southwest campaign. More pictures will come in the future. When my lot of rifles arrive from South Africa. I am not 100% sure of this rifle is all matching. The condition is OK. The bore is in poor condition. I just need three more examples for my book I am writing. I am very excited to see it person when it comes.
Rifle data-1900/Spandau/6507/K.S.10784

Attachments

• received_1059426361212647.jpeg
    received_1059426361212647.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 95
  • received_177222104213270.jpg
    received_177222104213270.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
These are so rare and desirable a mismatcher would still be a great discovery, - add the importance it holds for you book project and this is doubly so!

Congratulations, try and show us more when you get it in hand!

Very cool! Thx for sharing. Looking forward to more pictures. On my list to acquire one.

I spent three weeks in Namibia during 2017. Went to three abandoned ghost towns (mining towns). Found some pre-WW1 German items. That may of come back with me 🤫. Every museum I could find, I would check out. Saw three of these rifles, their original leather scabbards too. They unfortunately all seemed to be deactivated. One of the guys I met, was telling me his friend dives a river that Germans threw out tones of equipment, right before they surrendered. Said his friend pulled out a boat load of small arms related parts/ammo. I believe all the rifles I saw in the museums were deactivated because they are private museums. Don’t think the Namibia Gov’t wants too many live rifles in private hands. The one museum that I went to, that was funded by the Namibia gov’t literally had no information about German colonialism. Even though Namibia was officially not part of Germany post WW1, being there was still tones of Germans living there. Nazism definitely existed there. Saw a lot of period photographs dating to WWII with the Swastika flag flying high. FYI if anyone wants to go to Namibia keep in mind.. I experienced quite a bit of racism while in Namibia. Most people thought I was a white Namibia, with German ancestry. I am American and white, but I look very European. Once I said I was an American, most people were much more friendly. Got threatened with a gun, knife, almost mugged like four times. Just be careful. Got a little off topic. But felt was semi related.

Thank you guys. I am hoping I can get a couple more in the future. Paul the book project is going very. I have been contacting a lot people in Germany and South Africa. Buying a lot of book on the topic.

PatickD I have heard racism part before. I have a friend who goes there a lot. Any wow. This is my second Schutztruppen-Gewehr 98. My other one is Landespolizei marked.

Thank you guys. I am hoping I can get a couple more in the future. Paul the book project is going very. I have been contacting a lot people in Germany and South Africa. Buying a lot of book on the topic.

PatickD I have heard racism part before. I have a friend who goes there a lot. Any wow. This is my second Schutztruppen-Gewehr 98. My other one is Landespolizei marked.

Wicked cool man! Yea, the racism part definitely made me very cautious. Wasn’t the norm at least, throughout most of Africa. Only experienced it in Namibia, and South Africa. Both, of course, had (have) problems with race.

Sorta interesting, I’ll add too. I was in Tanzania (German East Africa) came home with a wicked cool German East Africa silver coin. They had their own currency minted for East Africa, privately(?) in Europe. In German South West Africa they used normal German (Continental) currency. Which I found interesting when I learned that.

There’s tones of monuments honoring the Germans in SWA. Literally every city/town I went to had monuments or memorials for the Germans. In Swakopmund someone (plural?) dumped red paint (blood) all over a monument honoring dead German soldiers. Also, there was a antique store there called Peters Antiques, had tones of imperial German and Third Reich memorabilia. Tensions are still high in Namibia. A lot of race related problems still, including reparations.

I took a lot of photos, mostly of all the German related history I could find. Some of the old forts form the 19 teens. German cannons dated 1910, ect of such things. Have some pretty interesting photos of Namibia during WWII, Germans secretly practicing Nazism.

Would be more than happy to send a few. If I can find them. I think I have them on a flash drive.

Are you in need for details on additional KS Gew98 rifles? I'm asking since a friend of mine has two of them (one Spandau 1900 as yours, second one being Spandau 1901 in the no-letter block).

Are you in need for details on additional KS Gew98 rifles? I'm asking since a friend of mine has two of them (one Spandau 1900 as yours, second one being Spandau 1901 in the no-letter block).
Sure. Give me any information you have. I can always add it to my information.

First rifle is Spandau 1900 in the c Block, all matching numbers and near mint with K.S.10834 plate

Attachments

• KS1_1.jpg
    KS1_1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 38
  • KS1_2.jpg
    KS1_2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 39
  • KS1_3.jpg
    KS1_3.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 33
  • KS1_4.jpg
    KS1_4.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 38
Second is Spandau 1901 in the no-letter Block, also all matching numbers but metal-wise not as nice as the other one, this one with K.S.3904 plate. That one has damn nice stock cartouches though, and someone a very long time ago did really skillfully engrave scripted initials to the stock.

Attachments

• KS2_1.jpg
    KS2_1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 29
  • KS2_2.jpg
    KS2_2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 39
  • KS2_3.jpg
    KS2_3.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 37
  • KS2_4.jpg
    KS2_4.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 37
Second is Spandau 1901 in the no-letter Block, also all matching numbers but metal-wise not as nice as the other one, this one with K.S.3904 plate. That one has damn nice stock cartouches though, and someone a very long time ago did really skillfully engrave scripted initials to the stock.
Wow...thank you very much. They are in fantastic condition. I added them both to my Schutztruppe weapon database.

I have publishable quality pictures of those from both sides and various details, in case you want those for your book - in case just send me a PM. Yes, I really enjoyed myself laying my hands upon these samples.

Military Rifle Journal
Back