Third Party Press

Short side rail scope/mount

Here is another photo this one is Russia 1944 . If You notice this SSR Mount holds a H/4X60 with Recoil Bar but no Center Locking Wing Nut . I would surmise that Mount did not have issue of loosening under recoil but Scope did . Only fix the problem that needs fixing .

I have also seen Zeiss 4X & 6X with Recoil Bars but the one Scope I have never seen with a Recoil Bar was Ajack 4X90 Scopes . I am not saying no Ajacks ever had a Recoil Bar installed , I am just saying I have never seen one.

For me the SSR Mounting System has to be the most interesting due to all the upgrades the German did to solve the multitude of issues it had .

Attachments

• Bild 101I-734-0012-04.jpg
    Bild 101I-734-0012-04.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Here is another photo this one is Russia 1944 . If You notice this SSR Mount holds a H/4X60 with Recoil Bar but no Center Locking Wing Nut . I would surmise that Mount did not have issue of loosening under recoil but Scope did . Only fix the problem that needs fixing .
Are you sure? Very tough to tell if this scope has a recoil bar due to the small resolution. Looks like it has the same glare behind the rear scope ring as well, so could also be a reflection and not a recoil bar?

PS: thought I should share the attached pictures, this is why I had to look twice at the rifle serial of the OP's SSR mount. Quite close!

Attachments

• ssr1.jpg
    ssr1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 47
  • ssr2.jpg
    ssr2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 40
  • ssr3.jpg
    ssr3.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 34
Are you sure? Very tough to tell if this scope has a recoil bar due to the small resolution. Looks like it has the same glare behind the rear scope ring as well, so could also be a reflection and not a recoil bar?

PS: thought I should share the attached pictures, this is why I had to look twice at the rifle serial of the OP's SSR mount. Quite close!

This same question was ask by a friend in an email . I am attaching my exact reply to him which explains why I believe this Scope has the recoil Bar and I am also attaching the same photo but this one can be enlarged .

Hello Wolfagang My Friend
I am going to tell You why I believe the Scope does have Recoil Bar and maybe You will agree afterwards and if not then maybe We can find a way to get better Quality Picture . I am not saying either of us is wrong or correct in his opinion .

Let me start by saying I also thought the same as You when I first saw this photo .
But after careful examination and comparison to period photo and of SSR Mounts with Kahles the one thing I noticed was always this if Scope was lacking the Recoil Bar the Scope always sat with Dial/Turret close or against forward Ring like in Middle attached photo . If the Scope had a Recoil Bar the Scope Dial/Turret was always centered like in Photo in question or like in photo of Mount . You can also see this in the First Photo I posted of the Group of Sniper on Normandy Beach look at the SSR in this photo that have H/4X60 Scopes and of these 2 the Dial/Turret is Center of Mount .

I am not saying I am 100% correct or Your opinion is incorrect I am only saying I respectfully disagree from what info I have gathered from Pics and or examples . One other thing I want to mention is look at position and placement area of Recoil Bar on Scope and Mount in attached it is identical area of one in questionable period photo . Looking forward to Your reply and thoughts of my reply .

Wolf is there a way to get a Digital Scan of the Original photo and then have it cleaned up to enhance the photo quality .

ATB
DaveR

Attachments

• Scan 130.jpg
    Scan 130.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 48
  • VDD110-T-F1-L.jpg
    VDD110-T-F1-L.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN5982.JPG
    DSCN5982.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 53
While I will not argue with you on the placement of the recoil bar where you for sure are right (I've never seen a recoil bar in any other position), I would not necessarily agree that it means this position was _only_ used by scopes with recoil bar. Once you untighten four screws you can adjust the scope in the exact distance you want it to be to your eye. Thanks for the better scan of the picture, despite of this I still have doubts on it having a recoil bar.

Military Rifle Journal
Back