Third Party Press

Should i buy???

Not really enough photos to give a fair assessment. Looks ok so far. Semper Fi, former USMC Combat Engineer 1983-89.

The pics shown are all A-OK, but there are lots of other numbers to inspect.
Everything is relative, so how many frog pelts are required to buy said rifle?

Just talk to the seller. He said he didn't notice any proofs or stamps on the stock. I know that can be faint sometimes but that seems a little suspect. Here are the rest of the pictures that I can get. is this gun worth 800 with a Bayonet and ammo? Thanks guys.

K98 byf 44 https://imgur.com/gallery/7NiVW

Just talk to the seller. He said he didn't notice any proofs or stamps on the stock. I know that can be faint sometimes but that seems a little suspect. Here are the rest of the pictures that I can get. is this gun worth 800 with a Bayonet and ammo? Thanks guys.

K98 byf 44 https://imgur.com/gallery/7NiVW

$800 is great for an all matching rifle. I would get more pics, but looks good to me. If ammo he sells you is surplus... watch out for corrosion.

I think the stock may be an aftermarket / modern made stock. Or someone spent many many hours refinishing it and sanding out all the marks and dents. Yours should look more like this: byf-44-e-block.

I have no idea if the $800-$850 value takes into account the stock issues or if it should be much lower, even with the ammo and bayo thrown in. I leave that for someone else who knows more to chime in.

The stock doesnt seam legit to me ether but its less of a deal breaker than other mismatch parts. I supose i can always find a more correct stock out there for it later?

Is this one by the same seller as the bnz 44 that mrfarb identified as a fake? If so, you may want to raise an extra caution flag, get more pictures so members get a better look. I give you credit for asking the members here for opinions and advise before you buy. A lot of fakery, and a lot to learn. You may really want to consider your first investment in the field of collecting K98 rifles to be books. The current best books on the K98 rifle are authored by two of the moderators of this forum, bruce98k, and mrfarb.

Last edited:
No sir, different seller than the bnz fake. Knew that one was too good to be true. My only big concern with this one was re numbering and im pretty sure that inst the case anymore. I didn't really want to start out with an RC rifle and this seams to fit the bill for a non RC gun thats in good condition less than $1,000. My other big problem with getting into K98s is that i have no idea what fair prices are. Seams to be lots of fluctuation between price points within the last 5 years so most forum threads from the last few years regarding prices seam to be low compared to today. None the less,very glad i joined this forum, lots of good info here and ill definitely be looking into those books that were recommended.

Ok, now that I see the entire stock, it looks way less "refinished" than I thought previously. It appears that what I thought was "shine" or "gloss" was a scratch in the finish or wood. I would be comfortable purchasing at $800.

And don't knock RC's... I have one and it's one of my best shooters! :p

Not that im anti RC. Just has to be the right one. I came really close to buying an ax/ar 41 RC and still might in the future if it's available something about this one just grabbed me haha.

not seeing any marking on the front band. May not be all matching. Hard to see the stock but can't make out any markings there either.

Last edited:
Yeah the boar looks alittle rough. Think its beyond being an ok occasional shooter?

Well I think a lot of that will clean up. I like Wipe-Out or Gunslick foaming. The part I can see shows the lands are still pretty pronounced. Unfortunately the part that matters most, the muzzle and the crown are all blurry so I can't really make them out. If the lands are still strong right near the muzzle I'd say it will be a good shooter.

Military Rifle Journal
Back