Third Party Press

Slip-on recoil pads for VZ.24

33yn2

I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a slip-on recoil pad that would fit a Czech VZ.24 and potentially a Yugoslavian M24/47 rifle (they seem to have the roughly the same butt plate dimensions from my quick measurements)?

I was unable to find anything that would fit the tapered sides (the bottom of the butt plate is about 2 inches wide while the top portion narrows down to about 1 1/4"). Is DIY my only option?

Going to give the LimbSaver Airtech Slip-on recoil pad a shot. Hopefully it fits okay, despite being a bit too long.

Depending where you live, just wait for cooler weather & wear a vest/coat with padding. Or hunt with the rifle, I never feel (& sometimes don’t hear) shots fired at game. But interested in what you find out, 8mm does hurt after a bit.

Limbsavers work very well but will become very sticky and gooey and
deteriorate over time. Especially if you stand the rifle on its butt because
all of the guns weight will be constantly pressing down on the pad.
The problem is the composition of the rubber. This has been a problem
for years. Thought they would have that problem corrected by now.

Last edited:
Going to give the LimbSaver Airtech Slip-on recoil pad a shot. Hopefully it fits okay, despite being a bit too long.
Hi, just joined the forum as recently bought a Yugo Model 98. Having shot it I really need a recoil pad and wondered if the Limbsaver Airtech slip on recoil pad actually fits the Mauser butt. As you pointed out, contrary to many rifles and commonly available recoil pads, the Mauser butt is narrow at the top, wider at the bottom.
Can anyone recommend any other makes which also fit the Mauser please?

Everyone is different anatomically and recoil effects everyone differently. Proper position is key. I have no problems with K98k and Vz.24 recoil. With a M1903 and M1 Garand, don't care for the recoil from those. Let us know what you use and how it works for you.

Hi Hambone, I totally agree! I have Lee Enfield No4’s in both .303” British and 7.62Nato and target shooting from a bench the recoil from both is tolerable. However, having just bought the Mauser and shot it the same way I found the 7.92 rounds hard going! Maybe my positioning and technique needs some work!?
I would like to find a slip on recoil pad for the Mauser but most rifle butts are wide at the top, narrow at the bottom, hence all the recoil pads I can find online are this shape. I want to keep the rifle unaltered so will keep looking for a suitable slip on and post details if I find something - unless someone knows the answer already?!

Military Rifle Journal
Back