Third Party Press

Sporter Question

CamaroDMD

So, this is probably a silly question...but I will ask it anyway.

My grandfather owned this 1938 S.238 Mauser that had a sporter stock when he bought it. Some time later, he had it re-barreled and converted into 30.06 which is as it sits today. This was long before I was born. He hunted with it for years, then my father did. Now, it's my rifle having hunted deer with it as a child. I don't hunt much anymore...I'm more interested in target shooting and plinking.

I have no illusions of turning the rifle into anything other than it already is...a sporterized Mauser. I plan on refinishing or replacing the stock and putting a new trigger in it (trigger is horrible in this rifle).

As a child, I always, hunted with iron sights...never put a scope on the rifle. Even then, I just couldn't bring myself to drill and tap the receiver...even though nothing about the gun was original. I liked the history of the gun and didn't want to further damage it.

I haven't shot it in forever...and I was thinking it might be a fun rifle to rebuild and start using for some of the 300 yard events at the local range. Something modern...but with some history. But, to be competitive I need to put a scope on it. I pulled he rifle out of the safe the other night...for the first time in a long time...and looked it over. As far as I could see (didn't dissemble it)...not a single piece of the original German parts have matching numbers. It's a total mis-matched rifle that has been sporterized. But even still...there is a small part of me that doesn't want to alter it further by drilling and tapping it even though doing so makes sense. Am I crazy for thinking this way? I know that in it's present state it has virtually no collector value and it never will. Do I scope it and use it...or do I let it sit in the back of the safe forever as is?

I do want to pick up a real original WWII Mauser 98k someday. I purchased a Mitchell's rifle a number of years ago (I knew what it was and the price was fair...and I wanted one I knew would be a good shooter and it is)...but I feel like a nice original would round out the set one day.

Sounds like a lot of family history behind the rifle. Although it may not hold much collector value it sounds like from your description it has a lot of sentimental value. Honestly you can go either way. Do you plan to hand it down to another family member as your grandfather and father did?

You can find sporters all day long for fairly cheap if you know where to look. Just browsing some actual auction house auctions (not gunbroker) I see a lot of 30-06 and 308s all the time.

Military Rifle Journal
Back