Third Party Press

Sporterized trainers

Shootin Shack Guns

I've noticed that there are a bunch of sporterized trainers on the on-line auction sites and they seem to be priced (in my opinion) way too high. Maybe I'm wrong but what is the consensus for the price of a sporterized trainer? I've seen a couple lately that have SA or retailer's stamps but if half the stock is missing does anyone care???

I haven't looked in a while, but when I have, it always seemed like the same folks were offering the same sporterized trainers for non-sporterized prices. Some have been offered with the same photos and same prices for over a year. Perhaps more than a couple years. So it goes.

I haven't looked in a while, but when I have, it always seemed like the same folks were offering the same sporterized trainers for non-sporterized prices. Some have been offered with the same photos and same prices for over a year. Perhaps more than a couple years. So it goes.

These conversions range from gunsmith to kitchen table quality - for me they are are all fascinating rifles and well worthy of valueing and collecting - It doesn't get any more authentic than a WW2 bring back that has been turned into a rabbit and pheasant rifle.

In fairness the minters are the rifles that never got any post war use.

I think there are still lots of bargains to be found now. At the moment rifles are still turning up from veterans and their families, in the future only rifles from collectors will be available.

Last edited:

I agree with this 1000%. There is a nice Mauser DSM-34 that is unmolested but not at $1200.00. I offered $800.00 and I think I offended the seller. If you don't ask you will never know. I personally stay away from sporterized or non matching rifles. They are extremely accurate and well made so I could see someone using them for small game but if sporterized their value is affected greatly.

There are no shortages of moronic sellers out there. I have been doing this for years. I have waited out a year on a rifle till they finally gave up and sold for my offer price.
You have to be patient and persistent and smart enough to walk away.

There is also a line between a sporterized trainer and one that's just been duffle cut and missing parts. Trainer parts are so scarce that a few missing parts can cost you far more than the rifle ends up being worth. It comes down to the example. I have rescued scarce rifles with the help of other members here.

Also, knowing enough to buy parts for a rainy day or a complete train wreck rifle dirt cheap for a project is also a good idea if you are in it for the long haul.

To me there is a definite difference between a duffle cut rifle and one that is sporterized. Most of the sporterized rifles are missing the top wood and barrel bands. Most of the time they aren't even good parts guns. I've bought duffle cut guns before and was glad to get them but for the right price.

Military Rifle Journal
Back