Third Party Press

SS Conversion Serial 13333

Hercules

Here is an SS Conversion. Has all the markings you would expect. Mostly matching, except the rear band, back end parts of bolt, and bolt extractor. Rear band is an unnumbered milled band. Back end of bolt is numbered 52 in SS Depot Font and matches itself. Bolt body matches rifle with crown N. Looks like it was re-worked at least twice and carried in combat.

I think these are really interesting. Please comment, critique, commend, or criticize all you like. Thanks for looking.

No 'SS' marked sling or muzzle cover?? Meh

Seriously though what's the receiver top? I'm ready for some learnin

I like what I see so far. Great example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not even “into” ss stuff but that rifle is drool worthy. Love that polished walnut, good stuff, thanks for the pictures!

Great rifle! Is that the handguard that is numbered 21 and does 21 show up anywhere else? Can we see pics of the rear bolt?

Looks like a blank side rail standard-modell as the base rifle. I just wonder configuration the rifle was before the original conversion date? I would think that with a conversion date that early that they would’ve accepted a standard in either early config or already updated to k98k specs. I wouldn’t be shocked to see an 8 39 SS Gew conversion that looked just like a standard (straight bolt, sling config etc). I love the rear sling plug over the old sling plug, I’ve never seen that! I wonder what made the original plug unacceptable?

Great rifle! Is that the handguard that is numbered 21 and does 21 show up anywhere else? Can we see pics of the rear bolt?

Looks like a blank side rail standard-modell as the base rifle. I just wonder configuration the rifle was before the original conversion date? I would think that with a conversion date that early that they would’ve accepted a standard in either early config or already updated to k98k specs. I wouldn’t be shocked to see an 8 39 SS Gew conversion that looked just like a standard (straight bolt, sling config etc). I love the rear sling plug over the old sling plug, I’ve never seen that! I wonder what made the original plug unacceptable?

The 21 is on the stock up from the serial number and there is a 21 under the wood line of the receiver as well. Maybe had some significance at some time like an assembler number. The hand guard is not numbered. The hand guard is not numbered on one of my other SS Conversion rifle either. I have 3 conversion rifles. 2 with unnumbered hand guards and one that does have a numbered hand guard.

Here is a picture of back end of the bolt. Only one I have. Cocking piece and firing pin are the same.

Attachments

• 3427 (6).JPG
    3427 (6).JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Here’s a pic of one of mine, it has 035 on the receiver and stock like yours. If I remember correctly, you posted another one a few years ago that had 45 in both places as well.

Attachments

• ED54B987-E5DE-4286-95F9-A9C9694CE3FE.jpg
    ED54B987-E5DE-4286-95F9-A9C9694CE3FE.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 39
I’ve seen H.W. and F.S. and of course the usual intertwined TS on the barrel shank. Is anyone associating initials like HW and FS to commercial makers that may have been involved in the conversion?

Here’s a pic of one of mine, it has 035 on the receiver and stock like yours. If I remember correctly, you posted another one a few years ago that had 45 in both places as well.

Yes that is correct. That is the first one I got. It has this same type number. My SS SSR has a matching numbered hand guard, but does not have these type of numbers. They are all three stamped with different intiail depot stamps.

I’ve seen H.W. and F.S. and of course the usual intertwined TS on the barrel shank. Is anyone associating initials like HW and FS to commercial makers that may have been involved in the conversion?

HW = Hermann Weihrauch? Also the manufacturer of the SSR mounts..

Military Rifle Journal
Back