Third Party Press

SS Rifle Conversion No Commercial Proofs

Hercules

I saw this rifle at SOS a few years ago. I thought it looked good at the time and think it might be again. It had no commercial proofs or the date info on the barrel. It was quite expensive. These are the only pictures I have of it. They were taken from my cell phone and were done quickly. These are the only pictures I have left of it. Poor quality in some cases. It was all matching. Maybe this rifle was OK. Just wanted more opinions please.

Brian

Attachments

• IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 177
  • IMAG0021.jpg
    IMAG0021.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 130
  • IMAG0022.jpg
    IMAG0022.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0023.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
More Pictures

More Pictures

Attachments

• IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0039.jpg
    IMAG0039.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I agree with Mauser 99 that it may be the same boat, but to me this one has a glaring difference - the early style skull is nearly always seen together with the commercial markings. I wouldn't be so keen to jump on this one myself, but only because it's not typical of the type - even the 98b conversion is not typical. When you buy non-typical guns, you have to accept that you are risking getting your money back. I always tell guys to buy the bread and butter and save the oddball SS stuff for people who can risk not getting their money back.

I agree with Mauser 99 that it may be the same boat, but to me this one has a glaring difference - the early style skull is nearly always seen together with the commercial markings. I wouldn't be so keen to jump on this one myself, but only because it's not typical of the type - even the 98b conversion is not typical. When you buy non-typical guns, you have to accept that you are risking getting your money back. I always tell guys to buy the bread and butter and save the oddball SS stuff for people who can risk not getting their money back.

Sound advice as always: never buy something you will have to explain later when you try to sell it.

Maybe someday all this will be explained but, I wouldn't hold my breath. If you want to spend you hard earned $$$$$ on an SS rifle buy a textbook example.

Sound advice as always: never buy something you will have to explain later when you try to sell it.

Maybe someday all this will be explained but, I wouldn't hold my breath. If you want to spend you hard earned $$$$$ on an SS rifle buy a textbook example.

I was given advice a couple of years ago not to buy it. So I did not. I have always thought it had possibilities. Thanks guys. That other rifle made me think of this. All this stuff is way too interesting.

The more I look at these photos the less I like this rifle. I'm now nearly certain that the skulls are fake (the white out in the markings is a good way to hide stuff), which makes sense due to the anomaly of the missing commercial proofing. The wrist marking as well, just isn't quite giving me any good feelings. Lastly, that band arrangement is not what the SS did. Whoever told you to pass on this one was wise, most likely the faker didn't understand the meaning of the skulls in relation to that reworking being done to them.

You need to learn to separate the different types of SS reworks and what they are. For one, there are early Gew.98 reworks where rifles were converted to a short version of the Gew.98 (not quite 98k's). These early Gew. reworks are the ones with all of the different skull markings that have the lazy S, SS, gull (or whatever), etc. and have commercial proofing. These were all done in one place most likely. The SS2 skull marked guns were a completely different animal, and not Gew. reworks specifically, but rather mostly reworks of the Gew.reworks, along with other reworking of existing 98k's in SS inventory. The SS2 facility (of which I am 90% certain I know where/when these were done) was not the same place as the original reworks. I sounds complicated, but it's actually simple.

One thing that I discovered since the last book, or at least realized since, is there is an oddity about the commercial proof marks on these early Gew. reworks. If you notice, none of the commercial proof markings have the proof house marking on them - upside down heart with fir tree is Zella-Mehlis, Sole with Axe is Suhl, Antler is Württemburg in Oberndorf. These proof house marking identifiers are universal on other commercially proofed rifles. So, the SS Gew. conversions were pressure tested at what I am starting to believe was a branch office of one of the proof houses, somewhere in Berlin is my feeling, or outside Berlin. The German proof law of 1939 allows for branch offices of the official proof houses, so it would be legal. This may be the meaning of the additional numbers with the commercial proof marks.

I have been studying the SS depot system and rifles a lot for this next book and have some cool revelations coming, most of which I am biting my tongue right now trying not to share so I don't ruin some of the surprises.

I'm very interested to learn about the ss depot system. Well pretty much the whole system and can't wait to
Learn more.

I'm very interested to learn about the ss depot system. Well pretty much the whole system and can't wait to
Learn more.

Our original goal was to have this book printed and for sale by December, but we've added so much information this year that it's going to be impossible to get it finalized and done by then. Spring of next year it should be ready for sale.

Our original goal was to have this book printed and for sale by December, but we've added so much information this year that it's going to be impossible to get it finalized and done by then. Spring of next year it should be ready for sale.

Will those of us who have the numbered versions of 1 and 3 be able to get the same number for volume 2?

thanks,

Will those of us who have the numbered versions of 1 and 3 be able to get the same number for volume 2?

thanks,

Yes - we will be numbering books to match so you will have a matching set.

Ss k98

I am glad to hear you have new information about the SS rifles. Back in the early 80s I found one at a LGS. I am sure it was real as I paid $75 for it. I keep it for several years and finely sold it to finance some new project. However I did keep notes and drawings. So I am sure I will be able to tell more about what I had. As to the numbering of books my KM book was numbered 028. I am not sure just what happened, but probably I didn't send in all the correct information to get book number 2 numbered 028 also. Will I still be able to get 028 in book number 3.

can anyone make sense of the markings?

Attachments

• DSC_0193.JPG
    DSC_0193.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0196.JPG
    DSC_0196.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0197.JPG
    DSC_0197.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 68
can anyone make sense of the markings?

That rifle has commercial proof markings, the commercial proof date is 4 38, or April 1938. The skull is an odd type - I have seen another recently just like it (a few months ago) on another SS Gew. conversion that was done Jan. 1938.

The "35" on the sight base is a subcontractor marking, seen on sight components and triggers on various 98k's and SS Gew. conversions. I suspect it's C.P. Görz, as they were assigned the "35" code. No guarantee on that though, but it seems likely.

Here's a photo of that other skull.
Ken

Attachments

• 20160918_185302.jpg
    20160918_185302.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20160918_185224.jpg
    20160918_185224.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 38

Military Rifle Journal
Back