Third Party Press

Stock Check in Aisle K

Hi Folks!

Long time lurker, first time caller.

Actually, I'be been hanging around here for awhile, mainly in the Small Bore section. And because of that, I jumped at the chance, a few weeks back, to buy an Erma K98 small bore conversion kit, and that required me to buy a K98:

main.jpg

But I'm not entirely sure exactly what I bought. Yes, I know the basics:

byf.jpg

It appears to be Mauser made (byf).The stock is laminate. It definitely, if very carefully, was duffle cut. There are no import marks I can find. All the easily visible numbers match.

Someone did, however, carve a name into the stock:

nameinstock.jpg

From all of this, I conclude this is an original Mauser build, not a rebuild, Russian or otherwise. Most likely, it was a GI bring back gun. Agreed?

I should note that what you see is the result of nothing more than a basic cleaning. However, the bore was simply filthy with plain old dirt. It cleaned up well, although it was definitely shot:

bore.jpg

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks! I didn't want to overload my first post with photos, but I know they would be helpful. So ...

boltnumbers01.jpg

boltnumbers02.jpg

boltnumbers03.jpg

floorplate01.jpg

floorplate02.jpg

foreend.jpg

Serialnumber.jpg

dufflecut.jpg

If there's anything else that would be helpful, just let me know.

Thanks again!
Dave

I like it even better. Nice undoinked with 98k.
Inquire here before you attempt to clean anything up.:happy0180:

Nice rifle. Good job! You mention the acquisition of a .22 Erma conversion- will this rifle be it's new home? I'd like to see a range report, if so!

I like it even better. Nice undoinked with 98k.
Inquire here before you attempt to clean anything up.:happy0180:

Thanks! I've lightly lubed all the exposed metal with CLP, greased the obvious wear points on the bolt and cleaned the bore with a gentle bore cleaner (Bore Tech Eliminator). The wood got a very thin layer of Renaissance wax (a very fine museum grade wax).

Really, I don't see any need to do anything more, and I have absolutely no desire to modify or improve any part of this gun.

Thanks again!
Dave

Nice rifle. Good job! You mention the acquisition of a .22 Erma conversion- will this rifle be it's new home? I'd like to see a range report, if so!

Yes, hopefully. I'm still not 100 percent sure this conversion kit is for a K98. Erma made very similar looking ones for other guns of the era. (For more info, visit https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207047)

But yes, I'll post a range report when I get the kit installed.

Thanks!
Dave

Nothinig at all on the barrel? Especially in the area near where it screws into the receiver?

Everything looks just right for a Mauser-Oberndorf build. This is a great example of a war trophy that a GI grabbed, cut down and stuck in his bag. One thing, make sure to swing that rear band around ;-)

newly acquired k98 byf 43

That's a very nice looking 98k. Looks absolutely righteous to me, a real combat vet.
Thanks for showing and the good pics,
Bob32268

Huh? Something out of place?

Thanks!
Dave

The rear band is backwards. The sling loop should be facing to the left.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20201229_094001.jpg
    20201229_094001.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 32

Military Rifle Journal
Back