Third Party Press

Stock Color

MN-Mauser

I am curious about the color of my 1934 Banner. I have seen several examples of 34's in the same reddish color. I think the stock is walnut but what is the stain color?

Thanks

IMG_3083.JPG

Why do you think it's stained? Could it be just oil that has been exposed to UV and gotten darker over time?

May be of interest...

It's the base wood with an added sealer. Some are light some are dark.. I prefer this reddish dark wood on my Banners

It's the base wood with an added sealer. Some are light some are dark.. I prefer this reddish dark wood on my Banners
Did Banner rifles receive special attention when being finished? The stock is so well done and does not have the rough surfaces of later rifles. I understand that as the war went on production methods changed and things may have been rushed.:rolleyes:

Don’t know if the germans used it but Alkanet root has long been used for the red coloured stain steeped into BLO.

The Banner rifles were a commercial product and following the practice at Mauser Oberndorf, were finished to a much higher degree than the military contract guns, on par with the commercial hunting rifles produced at the same time. This goes for metal finishing (high polish) and finely finished and sealed stocks.

Even so, the Oberndorf produced military rifles of the time (1933-1936) were exceptionally well manufactured with superior quality.
Just reference that S/243G I posted up some time ago - immaculate finishing all the way around.

Military Rifle Journal
Back