Third Party Press

Stock re-stain project finally finished!

Schaftol is ideal for newly-stained stocks and touch up for. pre 43 stocks. Ballistol is great for touch up and for very late 44-45 stocks that are already stained. Only mr farb knows at what point late stocks were sent to the front with no finish.
My Kar. 98 stock is a 2021 stock now, newly-stained so Schaftol is what I need to use, correct?

Gerst, yes, unless you already have Ballistol. If you do, for the love of all that is good just use that and be done with it so we can put this subject to rest, hopefully forever. o_O 😵😭
Amen to that, lots of bandwidth being consumed here.

Hey, I’ve never done this before and you chaps have laid out three options. I want to select the right one.

Stain is almost dry. Any comments?

i used mineral spirits to lighten up parts that were too dark. The handguard I’m trying to match is lighter towards the front and darker close to the receiver. some areas I darkened a bit. Until I apply the linseed oil the wood is easy to darken or lighten. It doesn’t have to be a work of art but I want it to look realistic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
by Armee regulation, use only boiled linseed oil or if none is available, “cleaning oil”. See G.O.’s recent post & translation of the Wehrmacht regs on stock care…….

Tru Oil, a Birchwood Casey product, yes? IIRC, I used that ~40 years ago on a .45cal muzzle loading rifle I built from a kit. I think that tru oil is at least partly boiled linseed oil, with driers added, which can lead to runs & sags hardening, unless you keep rewiping the stock until it dries. You “could” use raw linseed oil, but be careful if you do, that’s the one where the rags may spontaneously combust if left in a pile!
I have been trying to locate the post by G. O. That discusses Wehrmacht regulations on stock care, no luck, was it in this forum? Date?

thanks

I have been trying to locate the post by G. O. That discusses Wehrmacht regulations on stock care, no luck, was it in this forum? Date?

thanks
I have to confess that I also have been unable to locate the post I referenced above, but I’m fairly certain that it was here on this forum, as I don’t participate in, or read other related fora. I’d further describe the post, but since I can’t find it either, I guess the hole I’ve dug myself is deep enough!

I have to confess that I also have been unable to locate the post I referenced above, but I’m fairly certain that it was here on this forum, as I don’t participate in, or read other related fora. I’d further describe the post, but since I can’t find it either, I guess the hole I’ve dug myself is deep enough!
It happens, thanks for trying 😀

by Armee regulation, use only boiled linseed oil or if none is available, “cleaning oil”. See G.O.’s recent post & translation of the Wehrmacht regs on stock care…….

Tru Oil, a Birchwood Casey product, yes? IIRC, I used that ~40 years ago on a .45cal muzzle loading rifle I built from a kit. I think that tru oil is at least partly boiled linseed oil, with driers added, which can lead to runs & sags hardening, unless you keep rewiping the stock until it dries. You “could” use raw linseed oil, but be careful if you do, that’s the one where the rags may spontaneously combust if left in a pile!
I’ll send the used rags to Tally-ban Joe.”

thanks

I think I found the reference I was thinking of, not from G.O. but from Stephan98k……..

thanks
[IMG alt="Stephan98k"]https://www.k98kforum.com/data/avatars/m/6/6280.jpg?1621612732[/IMG]

Stephan98k

aka 8x57IS​

Stock preservation
Due to inadequate delivery of the company with Leinölfirnis (linseed oil varnish) by the suppliers, tests are currently being carried out with other, equivalent materials for the stock preservation.

Until the conclusion of these tests Reinigungsöl 34 (cleaning oil 34) can be used for stock preservation in the absence of Leinölfirnis (linseed oil varnish). The cleaning oil must be applied thinly and rubbed into the stock wood with a cloth. After rubbing, the stock must be wiped dry with a clean cloth.

The substitutes for Leinölfirnis (linseed oil varnish) offered by private companies may not be used by the troops for stock preservation, since they are usually containing paint and are harmful to the stock wood.
All existent requests are rejected.

Supreme High Command of the German Army,
January 23, 1936. AHA/In 2 (III).

Stock preservation product
As a substitute for the previously used stock preservation product, gun cleaning oil may be used until further notice for the treatment of rifle and carabine stocks.

The oil should be applied to the stock wood with a clean cloth or cleaning string and wiped dry after a short time.

O.K.H. (Ch H Rüst u. BdE), July 3, 1940
85 – 4910/40 AHA/In 2 (VII).

yes, I remember that post. Stephan also posted some excellent original regulations concerning rifle disassembly by the troops. Unfortunately, Ike disagreed😏.

I‘m almost ready to apply the linseed oil, just touching up here and there with mineral spirits. It isn’t easy to match the upper guard which is not native to the rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back