Third Party Press

Swept Back Base, What was the original like?

swjXE

I have a pretty nice "Swept Back" Mount that I'd like to put to use, but sadly it came with a very disappointing base which I have trouble believing bears much similarity to what I would think the original could have been like. I've understand that someone on the Forum was able to make drawings of an "original" base and mount and was hoping that they might share the info so I can have a base made that might have a chance of standing up to repeated use. I'd pay for the info if it meets my purposes. Many thanks in advance for any and all input. :confused:

Thanks kindly Dave,
This will help determine size and pin spacing of the exposed portion of the base, now I'm mostly curious to find out if there's more to the base that's covered by the stock. I wouldn't be surprised if the base is wider than it appears, somewhat like a LSR base. :(

I have a repro that I put together , I got Pics from Bob Jensen of how the Base on his Swept Back is secured to receiver . His Swept Back is suppose to be an original , there is also one in Robert Spielers Book that also suppose to be original . I can send you detailed pics of how the Base is installed and pins size and location if you want .

I'm not sure if the dimensions of an original base would be helpful to work with "any" reproduction mount since it would need to fit to the mount itself.

Thanks for weighing in on this. Yes as usual you are " absolutely" correct, in that you wouldn't be able to change the mount much, except widening the dovetail slot to whatever the original dimensions are. My questions are mostly about how wide the original base is, or what we can't see where the base meets the receiver where it's hidden by the stock. The repro bases seem to be about 3/8" wide where the base meets the receiver where the LSR has about 5/8" in this area which would appear be a far more stable design. So I would really like to see photos of what's happening below the wood on an "original" Even if just for archeological curiosity. :oops:o_O:(

Military Rifle Journal
Back