Third Party Press

Thought this was all matching...

Keefe73

...until I read through a few posts on this forum. Wow! Lots to learn.

Supposedly an AX 41. Picked this up about 5 years ago for I think $1100.

Questions I have:

- serial number has a capital letter
- Side font on receiver for Mod 98 is not script. I've found where some Erma receivers were like this but no in this serial number range.
- Bolt handle grove is shallow, not flat

Otherwise everything appears correct. Serial number is consistent on parts and stock. 280 proof marks look correct.

Appreciate it if someone could take a look and tell me if I got screwed on this.

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpeg
    IMG_0431.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0432.jpeg
    IMG_0432.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0434.jpeg
    IMG_0434.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0435.jpeg
    IMG_0435.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 115
Hate to break it to you, but every marking you show photos of is probably fake, even the code marking. I suspect you had a feeling... the pics suck on my phone or I’d be sure of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to break it to you, but every marking you show photos of is probably fake, even the code marking. I suspect you had a feeling... the pics suck on my phone or I’d be sure of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, even at that angle in the picture you can tell the code is a different stamp.

Unfortunate

Unreal. I'd love to know who wanked this one. On a positive note it was $1100, not 4k if that's any consolation.

Nobody likes telling somebody this type news but as everyone has stated this rifle is fake sorry to break it to you. And I would know I own three AX coded rifles in my collection.

Thanks for confirming what I already kind of figured. This is why I'm restricting all of my purchases to modern firearms from now on.

I thought at least some of it was original. It's a nice enough rifle but definitely not $1100 nice. Shoots and functions really well. I won't feel bad about shooting the crap out of it now.

Thanks for confirming what I already kind of figured. This is why I'm restricting all of my purchases to modern firearms from now on.

I thought at least some of it was original. It's a nice enough rifle but definitely not $1100 nice. Shoots and functions really well. I won't feel bad about shooting the crap out of it now.

Put it on GB and get the four thou! Spell out the facts. It will sell anyway.

Just post up pictures of whatever you want to buy here first and ask questions. There are many knowledgeable people here that can help and we all started somewhere and we are all still learning.

Do you remember where you purchased it? I was amazed to learn that there are several serial forgers known to this forum. Guess I shouldn’t be- if you lack the moral fiber to fake, why would you stop at one?

Just post up pictures of whatever you want to buy here first and ask questions. There are many knowledgeable people here that can help and we all started somewhere and we are all still learning.

I wish I would have 5 years ago. I won't be buying any more Mausers for the foreseeable future. 3 kids and a lack of disposable income has taken care of my time and money. At least it's a decent shooter with a smooth action.

Do you remember where you purchased it? I was amazed to learn that there are several serial forgers known to this forum. Guess I shouldn’t be- if you lack the moral fiber to fake, why would you stop at one?

Don't remember where I picked it up since this was 5 plus years ago. If only I knew back then what I knew now.

I wish I would have 5 years ago. I won't be buying any more Mausers for the foreseeable future. 3 kids and a lack of disposable income has taken care of my time and money. At least it's a decent shooter with a smooth action.

That's the spirit! If it is a good shooter you can still enjoy it! Plenty of time later to seek out a legitimate all matching rifle. This forum is the place for that.

Military Rifle Journal
Back