Third Party Press

To buy or not to buy.....

xwarp

I'm a sucker for k98's, but aren't we all...

Stopped in at a local gun shop and spotted a R/C. Typical r/c, but untouched. Shop owner stated that he got from an estate. Specs are as follows:

S/243 1936

Flat buttplate stock, but I think was laminate. I believe it was a oberndorf.

Could not identify bolt mfr.

No counter bore and this rifle looked like a very clean r/c.

Price is 445, but I could have walked with it for 390.

He's closed tomorrow and open again on Monday.

Thinking about it. I have 2 r/c's and two "bring backs".

A good maker-date, not as good as MB/35, but still elusive. Of course its only a refinished barreled receiver, but not many were made. If you like rc's, at least that is in its favor, as you aren't likely to find a really nice MB/36 loose for under several thousand.

I'm a sucker for k98's, but aren't we all...

Stopped in at a local gun shop and spotted a R/C. Typical r/c, but untouched. Shop owner stated that he got from an estate. Specs are as follows:

S/243 1936

Flat buttplate stock, but I think was laminate. I believe it was a oberndorf.

Could not identify bolt mfr.

No counter bore and this rifle looked like a very clean r/c.

Price is 445, but I could have walked with it for 390.

He's closed tomorrow and open again on Monday.

Thinking about it. I have 2 r/c's and two "bring backs".

I would buy it for that price. If you don't want to keep it, then sell it to me...:biggrin1:

A good maker-date, not as good as MB/35, but still elusive. Of course its only a refinished barreled receiver, but not many were made. If you like rc's, at least that is in its favor, as you aren't likely to find a really nice MB/36 loose for under several thousand.

hmmm...will have to think about it. I do like r/c's, but outside the 36 date, there wasn't much that stood out that made it a "had to buy".

Good news.

I did not buy the rifle, but a buddy of mine did.

He ended up getting that 98 and a 1948 Fazakerley No4 MK1 for a total of 650 otd.

He brought the 98 over today and it's a really nice example of a R/C.

His first and he's glad he bought it.

The Enfield is pretty decent too.

Military Rifle Journal
Back