Third Party Press

? Two piece stock

jhv 41

This appears to be a two piece stock - could it be a g98/40? Rear sling swivel is different - maybe a 35M.

not a mauser.jpg

Here is another rifle trying to ID (second pic, rifle with sling swivel on bottom of stock).

These pics are the commander of 13. Waffen Gebirgs Division der SS Handschar (kroatische Nr 1) SS-Oberführer Karl-Gustav Sauberzweig at a shooting range with his soldiers during their formation and training in southern France, summer of 1943.

13 waffen gebirgs 1943.jpg

13 waffen gebirgs1 1943.jpg

They appear to be VZ-24 rifles, note the rear barrel band with bottom and side sling loops, the typical VZ-24 front sight protector, wrap around hand guard, grasping grooves and straight bolt.

Somebody needs to slap the recruit on the far left, absolutely unacceptable trigger discipline. They need(ed) to PT his a$$ into the ground.

Pat

Thanks Pat.

Here's another. I guess this unit cannot decide on one standardized weapon. :facepalm:

Quite an assortment of arms.jpg

With the exception of the Bergmann MP-28 on the right, the other two also appear to be VZ-24's.

What the hell was it with these guys and the apparently uncontrollable urge to put a digit on the trigger under non-combat/range training conditions? ND City right there.

Pat

That actually looks safer than those other two!

I'm viewing this on a phone so it's hard to tell, but does the soldier spotting targets have a small pouch piggy-backed onto his sub gun mag pouch? Good way to conserve space.

Pat

Still going thru a ton of pics sent to me this year. Here are a couple more.

Another bottom sling armed unit:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-005-0006-33,_Jugoslawien,_Polizeieinsatz.jpg

This one has been posted on the forum before - Rzhev area, January 1942:

Rzhev January 1942.jpg[SUB][/SUB]

The second one is a G.98/40. I believe the rifles in the first pic might be M1895 Mannlichers, but I'm certainly not sure of it. They seem to have straight bolts, a long distance between the front and rear barrel bands, bottom-only sling attachments and an open, drop-through opening on the bottom of the magazine.

Is that from the Med/Balkans?

Pat

1st pix is most likely Luftwaffe Field Division troops on the move.

I think these are actually men of one of the SS-Polizei Regiments in Northern Italy. Bozen maybe.

Rifles appear to be M41 Carcano. I have seen many pictures of SS-Polizei units in Italy armed with Carcanos.

That first pic is titled Jugoslawien Polizeieinsatz from the Bundesarchiv. That camo scheme I think was used in Italy - maybe it could be Yugoslavia or Italy.

Here is another pic from that series with what does not appear to be a Mauser:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-005-0015-17,_Jugoslawien,_Polizeieinsatz,_Truppentransport.jpg

I also found this site which has a good slide show of the Jugoslawien Polizeieinsatz 1011-005 series of photo's from the Bundesarchiv:

http://jtrowbridge5.smugmug.com/Oth...7QJ#!/Other/Wehrmacht-in-Yugoslavia/i-VpcNT3t

Another Carcano, and the photos show a lot of Italian weapons. The police units in southern Europe seem to have received large numbers of Italian weapons.

Another Carcano, and the photos show a lot of Italian weapons. The police units in southern Europe seem to have received large numbers of Italian weapons.

After the Italian's capitulated, many of those weapons/depots could have been commandeered by partisans with Tito or german police units in the Balkans areas. I think the camo material many are wearing may be Italian camo they probably confiscated and reissued to those units.

Must be a gag shot by this unit - SMLE equipted?

Sorry, no data on date/location of this pic......

smle.jpg

I've seen that one before, interesting picture. Gag or not, the SMLE's were probably issue weapons for them. There is one 'LK5' marked SMLE attested, and no doubt very many were seized after British and Dominion reverses at Dunkirk, across France, Greece, Crete, et al. Like other Beutewaffen, they probably went to second and third tier units, a number of which would be comprised of Luftwaffe ground personnel like the ones shown in the picture.

Thanks for posting these pics, especially the ones from the Police units in Yugoslavia. It's very interesting to see the M41 Carcanos in field use with Wehrmacht units!
Pat

Military Rifle Journal
Back