Third Party Press

Vz.23 Mod. Su27

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
Purportedly brought back from a vet who picked it up at Monte Cassino. Waiting on further information. Vz.23 reworked and rebarreled, with replaced Vz.23 stock and handguard numbered with pencil and other matching characteristics. It was an untouched rifle that has been stored for a very long period, was covered with dust, dirt, and air rust. It shows heavy use. Not "mint" but it's an old war horse.

Attachments

• Vz.23 szd (1).JPG
    Vz.23 szd (1).JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Vz.23 szd (2).JPG
    Vz.23 szd (2).JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Vz.23 szd (3).jpg
    Vz.23 szd (3).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Vz.23 szd (5).JPG
    Vz.23 szd (5).JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Vz.23 szd (6).JPG
    Vz.23 szd (6).JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Vz.23 szd (7).JPG
    Vz.23 szd (7).JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Vz.23 szd (8).jpg
    Vz.23 szd (8).jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Vz.23 szd (9).jpg
    Vz.23 szd (9).jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Vz.23 szd (10).jpg
    Vz.23 szd (10).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 102
More pics.......

Attachments

• IMG_3654 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_3654 - Copy.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3646 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3646 - Copy.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 73
Craig
Very Nice VZ23 , I really like the VZ German Reworks . Looks to me as if it Cleaned Up nicely .:thumbsup: Best Regards

Vz23

Any VZ23 is a scarce rifle and German reworked as well. Even has the original rear band.
Many collectors are unaware of the differences between VZ23s and the later 24 model.
Really like the older variation Brno logo.

Tks guys. It was reworked back into Vz.23 configuration. The stock was evidently off of another Vz.23, and the original lower band no. on the front of the lower swivel loops was x'd out. The front band and lug are numbered to the rifle. Bolt is German no.d to the rifle. What is odd is that it has a german replaced barrel of '38 vintage but a Vz.23 front sight. The rifle has been carried and fired quite a bit. I didn't clean it beyond the orange air rust and bore, and give it a light wipe / protective wipe of ballistol. Waiting on history on it.

Craig nice rifle, I do have a question why does it seem that the rework BRNO rifles come from Italy. The last few that I have picked up from vets or their family have all came back from their. Logistics, supply, bombing or second line troops ( conscripts from non-German countries ) thoughts ?? GR

nice..

I tried landing that one as well... He was a little flighty. Glad you got it at least.. I love the stock markings.

Edit: I see now the su/27 forget what I said...

Last edited:
I was worried this one was going to dissappear into a collection and fall off the face of the earth. Glad to see you got it, Ham.

Tks guys, I appreciated it. Seller was completely straightforward and squared away with me, very easy to deal with. I collect and shoot, modern stuff included, so I think I had a range of things he was looking for and something he wanted.

Great rifle Ham. Nice pickup. I have two 23's, one German modified and one unmodified, and they are among my favorites.

Tks JP. It's seen better days, but the more wore out looking I get the more I appreciate such rifles ;)

[The piece is marked with 7 IR which was located in south Slovakia, when reworked by Germans so it must be already in late 30ies replaced by Vz.24 and stored in Czechia, the replacement barell is of 1938 production.

Thanks Andy. The stock is apparently from a different rifle as it shows evidence of scrubbing of a previous external number and renumbered over that.

Military Rifle Journal
Back