Third Party Press

What do I have here?

Looks to be a district 10 or 11 depot build using a Walther made armourer receiver. Please post more photos!

That’s the kind of RC that’s worth owning, I don’t really look at these type of depot rifles often but that’s the first I remember with a “V” on the RR? A few years back I spotted another depot RC with a previously unseen depot marked RR, pretty neat stuff to find if only for the context of the BR.

This is the highest recorded Wehrkreis XI build known, and there is a complete absence of any conformity to the known examples, each rifle varies from the next and little consistency is notable. Almost all known are rc's, two or three exceptions, so these tend to have been consumed in Russia or the east.

The barrel is a BSW product, which is not especially common, - BSW was not a huge supplier to the ordnance system (depots), primarily they are subcontractors to JPS (apparently BSW supplied the ordnance system with barrels during 1937, as almost all are dated 1937, like this one...)

As likely as not the "V" is part of its "rc mystique", - perhaps representative of one of Stalin's concentration camps that get so little coverage (even though Stalin was twice the mass murderer Hitler was, - but most were eastern Europeans so no one in the west gives a shite..)

It is possible that it has a German connection, but so far as other examples in this category goes, it is unique, so more probable it has a connection to our mass murderer allied during the war...

That’s the kind of RC that’s worth owning, I don’t really look at these type of depot rifles often but that’s the first I remember with a “V” on the RR? A few years back I spotted another depot RC with a previously unseen depot marked RR, pretty neat stuff to find if only for the context of the BR.

It's actually isn't an rc... thought it was due to the metal finish, but perhaps its just the photographs. Actually worth picking up if it isn't refinished. Pretty difficult variation to find "German" (meaning un-mugged by the Russians...)

Very neat depot rifle!

Probably a stretch but could this RR V have any connection to the V markings found on Gustloff G43s? Merely coincidence?

As likely as not the "V" is part of its "rc mystique", - perhaps representative of one of Stalin's concentration camps that get so little coverage (even though Stalin was twice the mass murderer Hitler was, - but most were eastern Europeans so no one in the west gives a shite..)

It is possible that it has a German connection, but so far as other examples in this category goes, it is unique, so more probable it has a connection to our mass murderer allied during the war...

I care about the mass murder by Stalin and Lenin. It was quite true. He was a major mass murderer.

Having been to RF three times, the Russian people are being screwed again. That is their history. This has been going on for 100 plus years, or more, and they were given a chance to have rights under Alexander. Then he was murdered in St. Petersburg at the Church of the Spilt Blood.

It is very sad that they have only Putin to deal with their situation. Not sure they can ever break this cycle. Having talked to their Professors and their well educated, they admit that they know nothing else but a strong leader and accept that is their way. Yeltsen was only a temporary drunk exception.

This was especially sad in 2002, 04 and 06 when things seemed to be opening up. The people were great but they simply do not have q mindset to be free like Americans do. After a hundred plus years of what they are used to apparently is not enough to resist, especially when they are unarmed. It is very sad IMO. Putin is not the people, the people are pretty much silent officially.

Most are like us. They just want a good life and happiness.

It is a great place to visit with good beer, fantastic museums and palaces, history, women and the best Vodka. Now we have a cold war again. It is very sad IMO.

A worthwhile topic to be sure, but we did away with political focused posting, - though I do indulge in lacing a little period historical/political comment for context.

Maybe weave a Putin link to Stalin in one of the forums I moderate and I will bite... I can indulge you more there, though be forewarned, I have a weakness/greater tolerance for nationalists in this age of internationalism.

So what I gather is the serial number is the highest known the v is unknown and it's a Russian capture . With that being said is it undesirable or is it collectible or is it just one of those things that are rare and aren't very desirable? Thanks for all the information.

So what I gather is the serial number is the highest known the v is unknown and it's a Russian capture . With that being said is it undesirable or is it collectible or is it just one of those things that are rare and aren't very desirable? Thanks for all the information.

I'd say it is collectible. It is a German rifle, albeit an RC. It is not a 'knock it out of the park' rare rifle. You'd need to find someone who appreciates this to take it IMHO.

First - this rifle is NOT a Russian Capture in any sense of the word, not sure why some are leading you to believe that, they are wrong. And it is a "knock out of the park" rare rifle. It is desirable, and rare to find matching depot guns assembled from new components. Your rifle was assembled from parts at Magdeburg for the Nazi army, and finding matching examples of any depot assembled rifle is rare. This particular depot is extremely rare (I think I've only got 4 reported), and yours could be the only matching one left. Your rifle is about 5000 rifles higher than the previously high number reported (sn. 1753), which extends the estimated number made 3 fold. I appreciate (as I'm sure others do) that you posted it for us to examine, and thanks for the additional photos you posted which proved it was matching (at least those parts shown). Someone who collects depot rifles would love to own this.

I'd like to know myself if the stock is numbered on the keel, or inside, and if it matches, and whether or not its sanded. That would make this a really special rifle.

First - this rifle is NOT a Russian Capture in any sense of the word, not sure why some are leading you to believe that, they are wrong. And it is a "knock out of the park" rare rifle. It is desirable, and rare to find matching depot guns assembled from new components. Your rifle was assembled from parts at Magdeburg for the Nazi army, and finding matching examples of any depot assembled rifle is rare. This particular depot is extremely rare (I think I've only got 4 reported), and yours could be the only matching one left. Your rifle is about 5000 rifles higher than the previously high number reported (sn. 1753), which extends the estimated number made 3 fold. I appreciate (as I'm sure others do) that you posted it for us to examine, and thanks for the additional photos you posted which proved it was matching (at least those parts shown). Someone who collects depot rifles would love to own this.

I'd like to know myself if the stock is numbered on the keel, or inside, and if it matches, and whether or not its sanded. That would make this a really special rifle.

Really? I probably should have looked closer, kept my opinion in check and waited. I'm honestly shocked that this is that real and that rare. There is so much to learn here.

That's my bad. I'm not even replying to the correct thread. That x is obviously not RC. I feel quite foolish right now. I was good on the "it's still collectible" :facepalm:

Really? I probably should have looked closer, kept my opinion in check and waited. I'm honestly shocked that this is that real and that rare. There is so much to learn here.

Yes, these depot assembled guns are rare, and matching ones (to the stock) are even more scarce.

Yes, these depot assembled guns are rare, and matching ones (to the stock) are even more scarce.

Thanks Mike. It just adds more credence to the "depot guns are a minefield" quote I've been hearing since I got here. I'm guessing these are often faked and difficult to adequately vet.

Military Rifle Journal
Back