Third Party Press

Who made it?

Any pictures, any details, any serials? WaA253 early could be any Solingen area firm 1935-40.

1593350342570.jpg1593350402464.jpg1593350383087.jpg
The scabbard doesn't match. The blade is totally unmarked.
The guard is numbered. Is that a post war addition?

Last edited:
It looks like late 30ies export ,the scabbard is probably post 1940 production, frog is not correct with that trodell. Its similar to Mo937 for Portugal it could be delivered to other country, when not other marked on blade spine. The press button looks like proofed too.This is not obvious by Behoerden blanko pieces. b.r.Andy

Thank for al l the information gentlemen. I appreciate it. The scabbard and frog and troddel
could be from the war years then?

The bayonet could also be a contract overrun which was handed off to one of the German military branches or outside organization. With the WaA acceptances, even though unattributed, it skirts the edge of what might be considered a "behoerden" example. By chance, is there any marking on the underside of the blade flat directly in front of the crossguard?

Last edited:
It looks like late 30ies export ,the scabbard is probably post 1940 production, frog is not correct with that trodell. Its similar to Mo937 for Portugal it could be delivered to other country, when not other marked on blade spine. The press button looks like proofed too.This is not obvious by Behoerden blanko pieces. b.r.Andy

No date on the spine. So this bayonet is worth the value of the individual components
since its a total mismatch?

Its missmatch, for someone who collects similar exports or blanko bayonets a nice condition piece, looks like grips are correct there no problem, sometimes is some letter stamped on lower ricasso where the edge starts, the trodell is probably prewar Heer? and frog is LW type. I dont known how is marked scabbard? b.r.Andy

No date on the spine. So this bayonet is worth the value of the individual components
since its a total mismatch?

IMHO bayonet is nice. In all likelihood the original scabbard was unattributed, had no serial number, but bore a E/WaA253 acceptance on the finial ball. If you like the bayonet, you can keep it as is and/or look for a proper scabbard in commensurate condition to swap out.

IMHO bayonet is nice. In all likelihood the original scabbard was unattributed, had no serial number, but bore a E/WaA253 acceptance on the finial ball. If you like the bayonet, you can keep it as is and/or look for a proper scabbard in commensurate condition to swap out.

That's what I'm considering. What's a ballpark value?

That's what I'm considering. What's a ballpark value?

As I went back to read your original post, you stated there were no markings on the sheath. The condition on both bayonet and scabbard appear to be commensurate. I believe thoughts expressed about the scabbard being mismatched was due to the approximate time period of manufacture, as evidenced by the "stick eagle WaA253" acceptance markings found on the bayonet. The same time period scabbard would likely have a set of parallel lines on the frog stud and a WaA253 acceptance on the scabbard finial ball as well. However, no one has a crystal ball to see just how both bayonet, scabbard and frog/knot came to be together. That being said, having a unnumbered scabbard, I would leave the entire rig as found... unless you are not that interested in behoerden-type bayonets and prefer straight military issue. As for value, you could divide that into the bayonet & scabbard as one item and frog/knot as another. But again, IMHO keep it together or sell it together as you see fit. You might want to review this link first:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...ONETS-DURING-THE-THIRD-REICH-(REV-II-w-PHOTOS

Last edited:
Thank you VERY much for the insight pw. The link is very welcomed indeed. If I can learn just ONE thing
about bayonets daily I will be miles ahead. Thank you.

Thank you VERY much for the insight pw. The link is very welcomed indeed. If I can learn just ONE thing
about bayonets daily I will be miles ahead. Thank you.

Ah, that is so, grasshopper! There is much to learn. Only when you can take the bayonet from my hand, will it be time for you to leave...

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back