Third Party Press

Yugo K98 questions

sn3key1

Hello! I'd like to add a Yugo K98 to my collection at some point and I'm just wondering a little more info about them as info seems not so common for these particular weapons. Is it possible to find them numbers matching? Is it more common than not to find them mismatched as apposed to matching parts? What's the history behind the Yugos getting the K98s from the Germans? What would a fair price be for one in today's market and determines it's value? Thank you!

I’m going to answer each question best I can and then if someone finds an issue with it, I’d be happy if they added more color/corrected me.

1. Yugo K98s are captured German K98Ks that were refurbished in Yugo arsenals. Example: If a barrel was shot out, they’d manufacture a new one and replace it. If a stock was broken, they’d replace it. All waffenamts and German markings were scrubbed except for Mod 98 designation. They’d restamp the rifle with their markings and if everything was good for service, they’d force match parts and give it a new serial number. So, technically yes you can get one Yugo numbers matching.
2. I don’t own a Yugo K98, never even handled one. Given the above information I’d assume most are matching, but you know what they say about assuming.
3. After WWII, Yugoslavia wanted to rearm the military for potential future conflicts and capturing K98Ks was an affordable way to do so. A lot of these rifles were left behind in Yugoslavia and capture by partisans.
4. Few years back a good price was probably $400-$600 depending on condition, but now who knows. People are paying $1,000+ for Russian captures, so if I had to guess, people are probably selling them for $800.

Nice job Mariner, that sums it up really well 👏 (y)

I'd only emphasize that the Yugoslavs seemed very willing to replace original barrels with new ones. I think that right there is what makes these more desirable than slop-varnished Soviet captures. If you get one with a new barrel (we can confirm that for you here) you're looking at a shooter K98k that will outlive you, and then some.

Great! Appreciate it! I'm been on the hunt for a good one, going down to a big gun show in Dallas so hope maybe I can get eyes on one!

A new barrel does not mean it going to be accurate shooter , just that it may last longer . The barrel quality makes much more difference . Some of my best K-98k shooters are Russian captures .

Military Rifle Journal
Back