Third Party Press

Zimmerit coating

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
We see helmets advertised as "zimmerit camo". Here is a good article on what it actually is, its composition, and application:
http://www.stugiii.com/zimmerit.html

Zimmerit
Zimmerit was first made available during the summer of 1943 as a counter to magnetic and adhesive anti-tank mines. The British had an adhesive "sticky bomb" for this purpose, and the Germans had lost several panzers to it during the attacks on France and the Low Countries, Greece and North Africa. Oddly, the German’s were the only large scale users of magnetic AT mines.

How It Works
The coating worked by providing a non-conducting, irregular surface that would reduce the area of contact between a mine and the tank's hull, as well as putting more distance between the hull and the mine. This would cause a magnetic mine to fall off due to its own weight and the vibration of the vehicle. Zimmerit possessed no anti-magnetic properties of its own; rather it defeated the mines by simply disallowing contact and providing distance.

The reported anti-magnetic properties of Zimmerit stem from a British war-time report, "'Zimmerit', Anti-Magnetic Plaster for AFVs", ( by Major J.W. Thompson and Mr. C.E. Hollis, July 1945).
According to the report, Zimmerit was a mixture of:
40% barium sulphate
25% polyvinyl acetate
10% saw dust
10% zinc sulphide
15% ochre pigment

Zimmerit was factory applied to all tanks and closed top SP guns but rarely to anything else. There are however, pictures of a Marder III Ausf. M and a SdKfz. 251 Ausf. D with Zimmerit application.

A report from the East suggestedthat Zimmerit could potentialy catch fire, in September of 1944, Germans ceased applying it to vehicles.

Long time passion for Panzers... Thanks for the details.. Since they used a torch as part of the application process I tend to believe the switch to the defensive as the primary withdraw of it's application. That and they needed to speed them out the factory door..

I loved appling it to my Armortek Tiger!

Attachments

• MRLS 021.jpg
    MRLS 021.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 79
  • MRLS 019.jpg
    MRLS 019.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 41
Long time passion for Panzers... Thanks for the details.. Since they used a torch as part of the application process I tend to believe the switch to the defensive as the primary withdraw of it's application. That and they needed to speed them out the factory door..

I loved appling it to my Armortek Tiger!

Awesome looking Tiger KDF.

Nice model.

attachment.php

Military Rifle Journal
Back