Third Party Press

1925 G98 sporter recommended smith.

pitfighter

Hi guys,

I am looking for a Mauser expert who has performed nice work for a member or two here, to send my Sporter to.

It's the basis for a lovely rifle (original fitted Syrius scope is crystal clear, two stage trigger is wonderful).
(It is 8X57 not 8X60.)

I am in no hurry, and I don't care where in the US they are located I will ship it to them and wait, I am more interested in fine work than fast turn around.

Any recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you!

Pit.

Last edited:
What are the issues with the bolt? They're relatively simple- it's possible you could repair it, unless you have your heart set on spending more.
Nice sporter!

It is difficult to close on a round - after firing, the bolt basically locks up - had to use a plastic mallet, to gently tap the bolt handle nob upward until it opened up.

Did this three times with different makes of 8X57 - with the same results each time.

It would be helpful if you showed some pictures of exactly what you have here, markings on the barrel and receiver, - the bolt looks like it might be commercially proofed. As you guessed there are probably collectors that could help, or at least point you to someone that could, but these pictures are not very useful for an evaluation.

Is this a military Modell98 action or a commercial Modell98?

The only marking referencing model is the very lightest remains of the gothic font "Gewehr" (too indistinct for the camera) which I presume would be Gewehr 98.
Here are the pics of any other writing I could find.

On closing the bolt with an 8X57 it feels like the cartridge is too long - scrubbed the chamber with a copper-wire chamber/barrel brush using powder solvent, still no joy.
Cartridge sits snug and upright in bolt when removed.
Tried a K98 bolt from a BYF43 in the rifle, the bolt cycled (with scope removed of course) and closed but trigger would not "fire" action.
I am really not thinking it is not such an easy fix - hence my looking for a good place to send - I am in no hurry to spend money - just know when I am in beyond my pay grade :)
("Hello Kitty" was supposed to be a smiley face? - I leave it for your amusement)

Last edited:
Lots of pics - sorry -
Here is the bolt - there is a nasty groove I have highlighted - it certainly doesn't look like a bolt that was matched to the rifle - it is obviously customized for a scoped sporter, just not sure if it is for my rifle.
The engraved number on the mag bottom is sometimes indicative of a GI bring-back - maybe it was matched with a bolt afterwar.
I don't know anything and am guessing, but, would love to get it running again.

If anyone can help, I know it is the gang here - I am always learning from these forums - thank you!!!!!

I have located a smith - it goes off this week :thumbsup:

If it cannot be fixed it goes into the movie-prop armory - which isn't such a bad thing, there are a lot of cool guns in there -

You have a very neat rifle, but it is commercial made, probably from a leftover Gew.98 receiver, - I won't pretend to know much about them, but I do have some information that maybe useful, Gebr. Rempt is also known by Remo (trademark), they are perhaps most famous for their shotguns and in Modell98 circles for their use of old Gew.98 receivers for the GEHA shotguns, - an internet search should pull up more on this, but many articles have been written on the topic, including one in the MRJ by Joe Steen.

Interestingly, in one of Gebr. Rempt's old catalogs they advertise a rifle that has some appearance to yours, the catalog is not dated, nor was the letter that accompanied it, but it was from the mid-1920's and your rifle has a date 7/25, which I assume is the date of the proofing. I will attach a picture of the page that shows a rifle similar to yours, - though I do not know what the problem with your rifle is exactly, and i do not know a great deal about commercial production, but that the barrel is marked 7,8 mm and you are using 7.92 mm might be the problem?

A gunsmith should be consulted before you fire it again, it looks like a very valuable rifle, you might just be shooting the wrong ammunition in it, - or not, but i would check with someone that knows for sure before shooting this rifle again.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 31
Thank you, Loewe,

I agree 100% with you, that is why it is shipping off to be looked at.

The 7.8 X 57 was intended for 1888 style commission rifles and has very different ballistics - I presumed it was the same as a 7.9 X 57 and some old way of writing - but it is not - and I should have known better, the German Dogmatic mindset would not have allowed for this.

Thank you for pointing this out!!!!!!

This is where it is going - I'll see if there is a way to safely convert it to 7.9X57 - http://www.boltandbarrel.com/Contact_Us.php

Thank you - for the nice pic, yes that one does look similar, for sure.

Pit.

Last edited:
I removed his posts and banned his account, I thought this was done yesterday before I got offline, but this was the first delirious halfwit that has forced me to censor actual content and ban them, and I seem to have missed a step in the process.

Hopefully it worked this time, but Craig and Mike will keep an eye on him also, - sorry for the intrusion into this thread.

Its probably too late, but you may have a .318" barrel vs. a .321" barrel. The ammo manufactured in the U.S. is made to lower pressures due to this very conflict.

Short of slugging the bore, there is no way to be certain, which your gunsmith will undoubtedly do. Gorgeous gun!

M

7.8mm = .318 bore

My understanding is that anything stamped 7.8mm will have a .318 bore. So you could have the chamber opened up to shoot standard 8mm but the bore would still be undersized. Not sure if anybody still imports J-bore ammo or if this is just a hand loading option. I think I still have 2 boxes of Norma 8X57J. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys -

Decided not to mess with the rifle - at the advice of the smiths I spoke to -

It will chamber and shoot commercial hunting 8mm - or vintage 8X57i or j - Old West Scrounger has some reloads.

The maker has some history and is well known, and a matching rifle/scope combination is pretty rare, so, I may just hang onto her.

Maybe there will be a movie that needs a hunting rifle for a gentle scene - and I can make back the purchase price.

Thanks for the valuable and helpful information,

Pit.

Military Rifle Journal
Back