Third Party Press

Grafs has 7.9 x33mm brass

get the brass now, then get on their notification list for the projectiles these do not stay in stock long

What options are their for projos? I know guys were using the Hornady 125s when they were available, and some have even cast them. The Privi brass is popping up more frequently.

graf carries the 125 gr 323 projectiles, so do a few others midway had them a while back

they will come back in stock, again sign up for the e-mail notifications ( thats how I knew about the brass) patience, get what you can while you can

as a avid reloader ,Im all for forming cases I can not buy IE 5.45x39mm, but if I can buy virgin brass for a specific caliber I always go that route. especially if the price is fair, my time can be utilized better, this also goes for 7.7 jap its easier to buy the brass, than making it from 30'06

yes i do make my own 5.45x39mm with custom lee dies and resize .223 projectiles to .221

5.45X39 brass

as a avid reloader ,Im all for forming cases I can not buy IE 5.45x39mm, but if I can buy virgin brass for a specific caliber I always go that route. especially if the price is fair, my time can be utilized better, this also goes for 7.7 jap its easier to buy the brass, than making it from 30'06

yes i do make my own 5.45x39mm with custom lee dies and resize .223 projectiles to .221

Interesting. What case do you start with Jack?
Pete

casting

What options are their for projos? I know guys were using the Hornady 125s when they were available, and some have even cast them. The Privi brass is popping up more frequently.

Casting seems like a pain in the arse but actually kind of fun once you get on a roll. I did 1150 or so of the 125 gr. 8Kurz lately using linotype. Polymer coated them and sized .324 with gas checks. They'll shoot just a little bit larger group than the Hornadys but the steel gongs don't know the difference!
I figure they cost me about 7 cents each considering buying the linotype, checks and the coating material.
We don't talk about the LABOR though!
Pete

Interesting. What case do you start with Jack?
Pete

originally we started with 223 range pick ups ( some cheap guys still do) most of us realized 222 remington cases worked best and less malformed and split cases,
these virgin cases need to be annealed first. I use 222 rem load data. no need to modify the 5.45 bolt either
jack

originally we started with 223 range pick ups ( some cheap guys still do) most of us realized 222 remington cases worked best and less malformed and split cases,
these virgin cases need to be annealed first. I use 222 rem load data. no need to modify the 5.45 bolt either
jack

Is there a case forming die set you are using? I have two rifles in that caliber and about 2500 rounds of imported ammo. But reloading this caliber is something I would like to try.

Is there a case forming die set you are using? I have two rifles in that caliber and about 2500 rounds of imported ammo. But reloading this caliber is something I would like to try.

most of us are using a custom group buy Lee reforming dies and resizers, this group buy started on gunco, then weaponsguild, then the two main ak sites. lee will only make them in large groups.( same guy running the buy). I did see a set for sale recently, but forget what site.. there is another company that makes the dies, since I do not need them I forgot the name sorry getting old too many beers under my belt!
also hornady sells 221 projectiles with ballistic tips

bolt

jack
Interesting that the 5.45 bolt works OK with the 5.56 case head size considering the 5.56 being smaller and having a thinner rim.
Pete

Wow! You will not save any money at those prices!

I paid $600 plus shipping for a thousand rounds last year from Coles Distr. I shot half of it and have been reloadig the cases with cast lead bullets.

Last time that I bought Hornady125 grain bullets, they went for $22 a box of 100 bullets.

So, $400 for brass, over $200 for bullets, plus primers and powder and your time. Now, I love to reload, I have my Dillion 550B set up to kick out a complete 8x33 round with each pull of the handle. I have loaded thousands of rounds for my PTR44 and MP44, including over 1000 rounds of lead cast 125 grain 8mm bullets.

I would recommend that you check with Coles before you pay that much for brass! Buy the rounds, shoot them and then when you reload your first thousand, it is like you just saved $400��

Grafs & sons has 7.9 x 33mm brass /8mm kurz back in stock

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12654

Last edited:
Interesting that the 5.45 bolt works OK with the 5.56 case head size considering the 5.56 being smaller and having a thinner rim.
Pete

shortfal and I bought alot of 7.9x33mm from Coles last year, this was aheads up for those who want brass

pete

yes few and I mean very few have a problem using the 5.45mm bolt with 222/223 rimmed brass, in fact some guys doing conversions from 5.45 to 223 are retaining the 5.45 bolts because 223 bolts do not fit in 74 bolt carriers, 223 bolts only fit in 47 bolt carriers.
I have one conversion using a 5.45mm bolt I have never personally had a ejector or extraction issue.

some folks modify the extractor inside to fit tighter, some file back the bolt under the extractor ( since the bolt head is hardened I do not recommend this)

also the 222/223 cartridge is thinner towards the base, so the 222/223 converted case will fireform for the next reload

Jack

reloading 8X33.

I paid $600 plus shipping for a thousand rounds last year from Coles Distr. I shot half of it and have been reloadig the cases with cast lead bullets.

Last time that I bought Hornady125 grain bullets, they went for $22 a box of 100 bullets.

So, $400 for brass, over $200 for bullets, plus primers and powder and your time. Now, I love to reload, I have my Dillion 550B set up to kick out a complete 8x33 round with each pull of the handle. I have loaded thousands of rounds for my PTR44 and MP44, including over 1000 rounds of lead cast 125 grain 8mm bullets.

I would recommend that you check with Coles before you pay that much for brass! Buy the rounds, shoot them and then when you reload your first thousand, it is like you just saved $400��

Something I have never seen discussed is the 8X33 fired cases needing trimming. I've seen once fired FNM cases needing more than .020 trimmed off to get them to the published trim to length. They vary a lot with some being quite long and some dead on the correct length after firing.
I give my lead bullet reloads a light kind of taper crimp using the size die so it's important they all be the same length.

Anyone else seeing this case length issue?
Pete

A mystery.

Pete, I have never needed to trim my FNM cases, once fired cases come out at 1.280, this is strange with trim length at 1.290 and a Max length of 1.299.

Now, I have to watch my Prvi brass, i have had trim the Prvi and I still I have a can of Prvi that needs trimming.

Did you ever try my lead cast bullets? The groups got worse since I started crimping with the Lee crimper? I was getting better groups before?

Pat

Something I have never seen discussed is the 8X33 fired cases needing trimming. I've seen once fired FNM cases needing more than .020 trimmed off to get them to the published trim to length. They vary a lot with some being quite long and some dead on the correct length after firing.
I give my lead bullet reloads a light kind of taper crimp using the size die so it's important they all be the same length.

Anyone else seeing this case length issue?
Pete

Military Rifle Journal
Back