Third Party Press

Finished the Suhls

PrayingMantis

Well, counting one of each Suhl maker. Next, one of each, of each year; this is a long term goal.

Paul, more pictures of the '17 Haenel to come soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2674.jpg
    IMG_2674.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 101
Cool. I have a VC Schilling and a JP Sauer, guess I need to get the other 2. :facepalm:

What a nice little group!

That VCS/15 is a real rarity, only a few known, only b & e blocks so far. They are probably the lowest production maker of the consortium that year, possibly of all the Suhl makers. While Simson is assumed the lowest wartime maker, in 1915 they made at least 2200 rifles and the same can't be said of VCS in 1915. No way to tell how many they made as the consortium collaborated in production, but one thing is for sure, more Simson/15 are known and documented than VCS or CGH from 1915 (more JPS/15 are known though, probably the highest maker from Suhl in 1915 because they number more than CGH & VCS combined in 1915).

I would bet Simson made rifles are more common than any of the consortium makers individually, though collectively they probably made more. Storz figures would probably tell from a contractual perspective, but going by survival rates I think this holds true. (Simson rifles are more common than any of the others individually, but collectively they made more than Simson, and as they made rifles collectively they probably should be considered one makers from a production perspective.)

A little off topic but where does a 1918 MO that never saw Ottoman Service stand on the rarity scale? I saw one on gunbroker a month ago.

What a nice little group!

That VCS/15 is a real rarity, only a few known, only b & e blocks so far. They are probably the lowest production maker of the consortium that year, possibly of all the Suhl makers. While Simson is assumed the lowest wartime maker, in 1915 they made at least 2200 rifles and the same can't be said of VCS in 1915. No way to tell how many they made as the consortium collaborated in production, but one thing is for sure, more Simson/15 are known and documented than VCS or CGH from 1915 (more JPS/15 are known though, probably the highest maker from Suhl in 1915 because they number more than CGH & VCS combined in 1915).

I would bet Simson made rifles are more common than any of the consortium makers individually, though collectively they probably made more. Storz figures would probably tell from a contractual perspective, but going by survival rates I think this holds true. (Simson rifles are more common than any of the others individually, but collectively they made more than Simson, and as they made rifles collectively they probably should be considered one makers from a production perspective.)

Finding MO/1918 in "Imperial" is tough, interwar not so much... 1917 can be hard too, but either exist in interwar configuration (property marked, reworked, upgraded, etc...)

Thanks everyone.

Chris, I got my first Suhl in 2009, a '17 Sauer not pictured that I still have, and I just got the '17 Haenel this week.

I saw the post about your E block Haenel; it an exquisite rifle and Lewis did an excellent job on the stock. Mine appears to be a q block, but I'm not great at reading the letters. I'll try to get some pictures of it up tonight, still working on a damn stuck screw though!

Awesome set!

What letter block is your '17 Haenel? I have a '17 "E" block:thumbsup:

Cheers
Chris

Military Rifle Journal
Back