Third Party Press

Gewehr 98 question, need help!

Hello I was wondering if someone could tell me, or direct me to where I could find how the Imperial Gewehr 98 looked when issued. Ive been in the process of getting parts together to build
a good shooter, and possibly reenactment gun(something with no collector value). What I cant seem to find is exactly which parts were blued, and which parts were left bare/polished? I know that the bolt, receiver, butt plate were "in the white" but what about the recoil lug, barrel band springs, trigger, bayonet lug? The trigger I have appears to never have been blued, but the other parts, I just cant tell due to their age. Any help is much appreciated!

Hello I was wondering if someone could tell me, or direct me to where I could find how the Imperial Gewehr 98 looked when issued. Ive been in the process of getting parts together to build
a good shooter, and possibly reenactment gun(something with no collector value). What I cant seem to find is exactly which parts were blued, and which parts were left bare/polished? I know that the bolt, receiver, butt plate were "in the white" but what about the recoil lug, barrel band springs, trigger, bayonet lug? The trigger I have appears to never have been blued, but the other parts, I just cant tell due to their age. Any help is much appreciated!
The reference section is a great resource.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I looked at many of the reference pictures, but due to the 100+ years of patina I still cant be sure. Im hoping that someone knows this info and is willing to share. If not Im gonna need a time machine!

MauserBill made a list in 2002 that may help a little:

This seems to be so often asked ?. Anyhow the blued parts on gew98's are :
1) Barrel
2) triggergaurd & floorplate
3) bands
4) rear sight assy
5) buttplate screws
6) Q/D sling boss & it's screws
Everything else was a dull bright polished part with the exception of the trigger & bandsprings. These were actually sort of straw colored from the tempering process and not actually blued. MauserBill

** there are some variation to this list or analysis, some changes in 1918, but as a general guide it is accurate. Good luck with your reenacting!

On second thought, here is another, more detailed....

DocAV
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

Australia
981 PostsPosted - 12/18/2004 : 11:02:25 PM

There are still some details missing from the "colour scheme" for the Gew98, as at WW I.
Starting from the butt, here we go:
Buttplate:White; Buttplate screws: Blue
Disk (pre 1916) White: Disc-screw Blued.
Dismounting Washer&ferrule (post 1916) White

Butt sling swivel base and screws: Blue.

Receiver Body: White; Bolt latch on side: Blue
Bolt complete: White.

Mag /trigger guard/ Floorplate: Blue; Mag. elevator plate : White

Trigger parts, White, with blue-straw flame finish to trigger curve.
Magazine floorplate latch pin: White
Receiver main and lock screws: Blue
Rear stock screw ferrule : White
Stock Recoil Bolt: usually Blue, have seen some with White head & Body and socket screw.
Cleaning rod retaining plate in forestock :White.

Rear sights: Body and "Hump" and Slide Blued, EXCEPT for side and top plates where numbers are inscribed. These areas are in the White, with the Blue actually blending in after the last Numbers forward.
Bands (sling and "H") Blue.
Bayonet stud socket: White
Retaining Springs for bands "Straw" White or White.
Cleaning Rod : White

There may be some minor variations due to wartime changes, especially in the period 1916-1918, when a lot of smaller parts were simply blued; A lot of Interwar replacement parts were Blued, as were the receivers from the 1920s onwards.

Cleaning : Bronze or brass Brushes/"Wool" with solvent oil/kerosene/Diesel oil. I use Fine Steel Wool #0000;

Patina of Age or "To New Restoration"? depends on the rifle and its History.
I have a Aussie capture ( Stock marked) Gew98, AMN, with rod, that still has most of its original Blueing scheme, incl. the rear sight.
It has been "Restored" to its 1917-capture condition. (The period 1918 -1970 was spent in a veterans hall display, with several coats of Furniture wax. Note I said "1917 capture" condition, Not "1917 NEW factory" condition. There is some field patina on both the Buttplate and receiver, but most of the other parts ( after wax removal) are "as in service".

This restoration was done by Steelwool/ Brass brushes and elbow grease for the metal work, and Hot water, soap, scrubbing brush, and more elbow grease for the Stock wood. Stock was "de-dented" by using a steam iron, although some of the "crushed fibre" dents were not fully expanded, giving it that "trench use" look.
Stock was then BLO treated and rubbed to a medium blond colour (beechwood). A 1917 MauserWerke SG98/05 "Butcher" bayonet rounded off the assembly, as well as an original, if shrunken, leather sling with QD attachment.

Regards, Doc AV

MauserBill made a list in 2002 that may help a little:

This seems to be so often asked ?. Anyhow the blued parts on gew98's are :
1) Barrel
2) triggergaurd & floorplate
3) bands
4) rear sight assy
5) buttplate screws
6) Q/D sling boss & it's screws
Everything else was a dull bright polished part with the exception of the trigger & bandsprings. These were actually sort of straw colored from the tempering process and not actually blued. MauserBill

** there are some variation to this list or analysis, some changes in 1918, but as a general guide it is accurate. Good luck with your reenacting!

Wow! Thank you for this info, I will follow all of this exactly. It will be neat to see the contrast between the different finishes, and to see what these rifles used to look like!

Wow! Thank you for this info, I will follow all of this exactly. It will be neat to see the contrast between the different finishes, and to see what these rifles used to look like!
I know you mentioned you are going to gather one out if parts . Are you interested in buying a complete reenactor grade rifle? The sum of the parts can often be more than the whole and people enter into restorations trying to save money- it doesn't usually work out that way.

Do you have a budget you are trying to be within? I or someone here may be able to help in finding a rifle.

I know you mentioned you are going to gather one out if parts . Are you interested in buying a complete reenactor grade rifle? The sum of the parts can often be more than the whole and people enter into restorations trying to save money- it doesn't usually work out that way.

Do you have a budget you are trying to be within? I or someone here may be able to help in finding a rifle.

Well its a long story really, but I already have all the parts and I just cant stand to let this project beat me. I definitely did not save any money, but I do enjoy working with guns and I hope to feel accomplished when I take these junk parts and assemble them into a working pile of junk parts! Thank you though for the help, maybe I can post a picture of it whenever its finished.

Well its a long story really, but I already have all the parts and I just cant stand to let this project beat me. I definitely did not save any money, but I do enjoy working with guns and I hope to feel accomplished when I take these junk parts and assemble them into a working pile of junk parts! Thank you though for the help, maybe I can post a picture of it whenever its finished.
Please do post when finished. Would love to see it. I've done a few k98k restorations in my younger and more wild days. It can be pretty fun.

Military Rifle Journal
Back