Third Party Press

Bayonet identification needed

reich1900

IMG_4314 copy.jpgIMG_4315 copy.jpgIMG_4316 copy.jpgIMG_4317 copy.jpg
I just bought this bayonet to go with my WW1 J.P.Sauer & Sohn Gew 98 dated 1917. When I tried to put it on the rifle it wouldn't go, the cutout for the bayonet wasn't long enough. Forgive my ignorance, I am not a WW1 German collector (I collect German WW2) and just wanted the correct bayonet to go with my WW1 Gew98 rifle example. I hope someone can tell me which rifle this bayonet goes to and any information that would help id it. I plan to sell or trade and get the correct one for my Gew98. I would like to give the new owner as much information as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bernie

Ryan is right for brazilian M1908 rifle, made by Germans, there is short 3cm slot in pommel, germans didnt use barell rings for Gew98 system rifle.b.r.Andy

View attachment 115815View attachment 115816View attachment 115817View attachment 115818
I just bought this bayonet to go with my WW1 J.P.Sauer & Sohn Gew 98 dated 1917. When I tried to put it on the rifle it wouldn't go, the cutout for the bayonet wasn't long enough. Forgive my ignorance, I am not a WW1 German collector (I collect German WW2) and just wanted the correct bayonet to go with my WW1 Gew98 rifle example. I hope someone can tell me which rifle this bayonet goes to and any information that would help id it. I plan to sell or trade and get the correct one for my Gew98. I would like to give the new owner as much information as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bernie

As mentioned above, German made Brasilian M 1908 bayonet, but not with the original scabbard. Scabbard should come with the same number as the bayonet. This scabbard is a Brasilian one, made by FI, Fabrica de Itajuba.
You should use a S 98/05 n.A, or a S 84/98 n.A. for your G 98.
Regards

Military Rifle Journal
Back