Third Party Press

Laminated Stock Glue? Repair

RavenOps

What type of glue is best for repairing a separation of a laminated stock?

Thanks

Attachments

• pix328070051.jpg
    pix328070051.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I also saw that rifle. Stock may be best left alone considering so much of the outer laminations of wood are gone. It is a neat k98k. If one wanted to shoot it a replacement stock could be used to shoot it in, then put it back in this one when you are done. Because if you dont know what you are doing, you may make a bad situation even worse when it comes to "repairing" this one.

The original glue was a formaldehyde based phenolic, brand name today "Resorcinol". It was a great choice because the bond was stronger than the wood which surrounded it. Sure enough, in the photos above, it's the wood that failed and split and not the glue.

It's really unusual to see damage as extensive as this. There's going to be no way to properly stabilize and repair it. The same glue could be forced into the cracks, but this would yield an unsightly mess. The splits mean that the stock's original dimensions are lost as well.

Last edited:
Wow, I’ve never seen one in that condition. As has been stated I wouldn’t do anything with it besides set it aside. It is too far gone

These stocks were originally made of laminated Beech. The wood was chosen for its strength, dimensional stability and the fact that it doesn't readily absorb humidity. All of that theory fell apart here!

People fix violins from the 1700s so nothing is impossible. The question is whether or not it’s worthwhile.

You could injected watered down titebond using a syringe, and then clamp the hell out of it. Or, glue it and then seal it in a vacuum bag with clamps on the outside. .

Regardless, I wouldn’t shoot it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back