Third Party Press

MP40 with capture papers

BostonMark

Long story short the guns were found in the attic of an old house when the widow was moving out. Two MP40's from the vets estate the stg44 was missing from the collection on the capture papers dated 30 may 1945 but both guns were on form 6's dated March 5, 1946 so they were good to go with the Registry. They are now on form 4's.

I sold one MP40 but the kept the other with the original capture papers.

Kinda cool battlefield pickups from Maj. Kennedy. I also received a P.38 with papers, a Browning HP with papers and a rare Astra 900 in the German contract range.

The Astra is unfired with cosmoline still in the gun

http://p38guns.com/Astra900.htm

Mark

Attachments

• MP40post.jpg
    MP40post.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I only have some "beauty" photos of the guns.

They are all matched numbered.

I got some internals from another collector and have shot the MP40 many times since I won't break a numbered part and the "tube" is solid, so I shoot it with mismatched parts ... rarely.

The mag pouches and belt with buckle came from the vets estate, the P.38 was added for photo value.

Mark

Attachments

• Astra900post.jpg
    Astra900post.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 106
  • P38 and MP40post.jpg
    P38 and MP40post.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 131
Novice question, but is the "lower" part of the MP40 made out of the same material as the grips of the P38 (circled in attached picture)? Would it be bakelite?

BostonMarksMP40_(Question).jpg

Regardless, what an awesome find. Finding an MP40 like that would be like a dream come true, let alone the other firearms, and the capture papers just make it that much better. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

The grips of the P.38 and the stock on the MP40 are made of phenolic resin. Bakelite is a term used for these resin items but it not 100% correct. Bakelite is a material that was patented by Leo Bakelite and is copy write protected. When he invented the first thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin, he got a patent on it in 1909.

Leo's first successful product was the common comb. Before Bakelite's plastic comb most all combs were made by hand from bone or a similar material and very expensive!

A comb was a luxury item in the 1800's that most folks spent big bucks on as gifts. Leo made combs available to the general public for penny's and he made millions on this product.

When his patent on the process expired folks still referred to all these items at "Bakelite" but they are only plastics made from the same process.

So yes, the grips are phenolic resin, the Germans used this process and incorporated wood chips or textile scraps in the matrix to make them stronger. At one point a company called Durofol also made grips and handguards out of pressed Beechwood and resin.

Mark

The grips of the P.38 and the stock on the MP40 are made of phenolic resin. Bakelite is a term used for these resin items but it not 100% correct. Bakelite is a material that was patented by Leo Bakelite and is copy write protected. When he invented the first thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin, he got a patent on it in 1909.

Leo's first successful product was the common comb. Before Bakelite's plastic comb most all combs were made by hand from bone or a similar material and very expensive!

A comb was a luxury item in the 1800's that most folks spent big bucks on as gifts. Leo made combs available to the general public for penny's and he made millions on this product.

When his patent on the process expired folks still referred to all these items at "Bakelite" but they are only plastics made from the same process.

So yes, the grips are phenolic resin, the Germans used this process and incorporated wood chips or textile scraps in the matrix to make them stronger. At one point a company called Durofol also made grips and handguards out of pressed Beechwood and resin.

Mark

Wow, that's really interesting. I didn't realize the stock of MP40's were made of that material (I just assumed they were metal with patina), let alone the actual history behind Bakelite... Thanks for the info and reply Mark!

Niiiiiice. I have wanted an MP40 for a looooong time. Considering it and finally take the NFA plunge. My main concern has been finding a well functioning weapon to buy. Looks like you totally scored.

Dog

Military Rifle Journal
Back