Third Party Press

S84/98 n.A. Moeve Werke with sawback

Spielkind

Hello,
does anyone out there own an S 84/98 from Moeve Werke with an intact sawback?
Especially with the squared fullers?
Just a good picture or a link would also help me.

Thank You.

Möve Werke bayonets are elusive, sawbacks almost unheard of... the only one I have ever seen for sale was from an ebay sale in 2003, where many collectors took a shot at it, BruceK, MauserBill, Ron Reid, Jeff Noll and even I took an initial bid. It ended up going for over $1500 (almost everyone listed stopped at $500, only two stubborn bidders took it another $1k), and that was 13 years ago. It made the rounds on the forums as to the price and whether it was legit.

I have the pictures of it, will add them, but they are poor ones. Maybe they will help in some small way. At the time, no one had seen another Möve Werke sawback, but that may have changed since.

Text:

I BELIEVE THIS IS A VERY NICE GERMAN WWI SAWBACK BAYONET. IT IS IN GREAT CONDITION. THE BLADE APPEARS NOT TO HAVE BEEN SHARPENED. IT IS IN GREAT CONDITION. IT HAS A TWO PIECE HANDLE. IT IS MARKED MOVE WERKE, WALTER & CO, MUHLHAUSEN IN THR. THE SAW EDGE IS IN GREAT CONDITION AS IS THE BLADE. THE ENTIRE PIECE IS JUST OVER 15" LONG. THE HANDLE IS TIGHT. THERE IS MILD RUST TO THE METAL ON THE HANDLE AND THE CASE. THE CASE FITS PERFECTLY TIGHT. THERE IS A RED PIECE OF WHAT LOOKS LIKE FELT IN THE BAYONET GROVE. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS ORIGINAL TO THE PIECE. THERE IS NO DAMAGE TO THE PIECVE. THE BLADE IS 10" LONG AND IT HAS A PIN SHARP POINT. THERE IS A CROWN MARK ON THE TOP EDGE OF THE HANDLE. I DO NOT KNOW ALOT ABOUT BAYONETS SO I DO NOT KNOW ANY MORE THEN THIS. I CHARGE EXACT SHIPPING WITH NO EXTRA COSTS. I TAKE CHECKS, M/O'S, AND PAYPAL. THANKS TYL

Attachments

• blade.jpg
    blade.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 51
  • handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 49
  • mfg.jpg
    mfg.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 57
  • ov.jpg
    ov.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 51
  • pommel.jpg
    pommel.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 42
  • saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 42
Loewe, thank you very much!:hail:
Maybe I did a big mistake than.

I have 3 or 4 S 84/98 n.A. from Möve Werke, and also 3 from Mehlich, unfortunately no sawback.

But look at the pictures.
Last week this bayo was offered to me.
The teeth of the sawback seems to be different to all of my other sawbacks, the end up very flat. But they are exactly like the one shown above.
The bayo is original, no doubt, but the sawback too?
The regimentel mark is also nice, and possible, but?
The piece is also heavy polished, and a little bit to shiný.
And finally the screws with the acceptence mark kept me from buying.

Regards

Attachments

• DSC08746.JPG
    DSC08746.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC08739.JPG
    DSC08739.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC08813.JPG
    DSC08813.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC08737.JPG
    DSC08737.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC08797.JPG
    DSC08797.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC08742.JPG
    DSC08742.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Move-Werke

That sawback ended up in my collection and was serial number 87, a very early example.
I had sold it, along with the center fuller example I had some time ago.

By problematic sawbacks is help use the weight test, as normally the sawback blade should weight more or similar to plain version. b.r.Andy

S 84/98 Möve Werke sawback

New results:
There are at least 4 pieces known, but all with round fullers.
These fullers are very similar to S14 bayonets made by Samsonwerke Berlin.
So this could be fraud.
A few more pics for you.
Be careful with scarce sawbacks!
Regards

Attachments

• DSC08736.JPG
    DSC08736.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC08737.JPG
    DSC08737.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC08801.JPG