Third Party Press

Sporterizing 98k

Hello,
Super new to forums so please deal with me.
My Grandfather gave me 98k "parts" (will attach pictures), and he wants me to sporterize it for him.
I have come across 2 issues with this.
First, I found some scope mounts from Warne that looked like they would fit but at the front of the receiver there is a band of metal on top of it preventing the scope mounts from properly mounting to the receiver. What can I do?
Second, I would like to have the bluing redone but all the information I see online is how to do it myself. I am pretty handy when it comes to mechanics and firearms, but I feel rebluing the firearm correctly may be out of my league.
Again, I will attach pictures about all of this.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attachments

• 20240213_193322.jpg
    20240213_193322.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240213_193237.jpg
    20240213_193237.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 24
Looks like the receiver is already drilled and tapped for sight bases try weaver bases # 45 & 46 2 piece mount system . the front base will fit right behind the ring on front of receiver.
as far as bluing goes, if you want a nice job leave that to a professional. Seems the nature of this sight is not geared towards modifying, customizing, sporterizing Mausers. Mostly original leave it be Mausers. Good Luck

...Seems the nature of this sight is not geared towards modifying, customizing, sporterizing Mausers. Mostly original leave it be Mausers. Good Luck
Well it's a 'Collectors' forum, so if you think you're coming here to get an atta boy for your quest to chop up an original, matching piece you're correct... this is the wrong forum. You'll want to try Fakebook or Reddit for your likes and thumbs up. I can't fathom how this is such a difficult concept for some to wrap their nug around.

Military Rifle Journal
Back