Third Party Press

Synthetic ester lubrication?

ReiseReise

I wasn’t sure the best place to post this topic, but since oilers were an “accessory”, I figured oil might be, too :).

I know that there are tons of opinions on gun lubrication, but I was wondering if anyone has used a synethetic ester-based oil? I have a sample of Aeroshell 308 turbine oil, and it seems like it would be an excellent protector for gunmetal surfaces: it coats very uniformly and has a tenacious grip to metallic surfaces, even with a very thin application; it has a viscosity of 11.5 cSt at 40°C and, being for aerospace, it is made for a wide temperature range (-55°C to 230°C+). Of course, that’s a wide temperature range for a turbine, not necessarily for the fine details of a gun, but even traditional gun oil gets gummy at super low temps. I only plan to shoot in the spring/summer/fall anyway!

We get very humid summers where I am, so something to coat bore, action and outside surfaces is essential.

Any thoughts on synthetic ester oils for guns would be appreciated!

I use Ballistol on all my German rifles and Eezox on all my commercial firearms. I used to use RemOil but it was not working well to prevent rust: it just didn't seem to last more than six months. When I cleaned my firearms the first time with Eezox I noticed a difference. For example, I have an old Winchester 94 that has been in the family for many years and thought it was a goner from neglect: heavy patina on the barrel and magazine tube. When I hit it with Eezox, I noticed a break in the "patina" and with some more Eezox and careful scraping with a brass penny, found the majority of the factory bluing was intact and bright--the patina was many coats of dried oil that RemOil had failed to remove. I also found Eezox easily removed WD-40 build-up on some of my other firearms, again bringing out the beauty of the factory bluing.

Good call D-K. I use Remoil on my hunting shotguns and rifles I use on a regular basis. Of course they're all new manufacture and some have stainless or chrome lined barrels. Plus I'm not worried about finish condition on them. I still stick with the clp on stuff I touch rarely (hmmmm, is this what I should use on my wife?)

All the above are good suggestions. I've been using "3-in-1 Oil" for over 50 years. Black powder guns, all types of military firearms even when using corrosive ammunition, my M1 Carbine, my Browning semi-auto shotgun, my 3 barrel German, all .22 caliber rifles and my Stevens .410 .22. Everything, revolvers, semi-auto handguns and never had a problem.

In a pinch, I've used all kinds of stuff. Aside from the various kinds of gun oil, I've used grease, motor oil, chainsaw oil and transmission fluid. Some of these obviously aren't preferable, and few should be used on a collector grade weapon, but my point is that pretty much anything works, especially with a bolt action.

Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic flows at -69 Degrees Celsius. Amazing oil for vehicles and many other uses, guns included.

I'd heard motor oil was good. Our gun course instructor suggested SAE 10 weight oil, and SAE 20 at the heaviest; I use Mobil1 0W-20 in some of my cars, so that'll likely be what I go to.

As tempting as it is, I'll likely not bother with the Turbine Oil 308, given that most processes associated with old guns are petroleum-based. The last thing I want is some bad reaction that jams everything up :).

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Military Rifle Journal
Back