Third Party Press

A sniper rifle so rare that it might start a controversy :)

I think they got it correct.. It would of been a dow scope if wartime. The rifle is prewar. Maybe original bases ?

postwar assembled

Scope is postwar Czech hunting scope
it looks to me assembled postwar maybe for Czech army.
But Czech army used G43 like sniper rifle and after that CZ vz.54
This type scope was not use prewar
and was developed on start of WWII

Stan

Scope is postwar Czech hunting scope
it looks to me assembled postwar maybe for Czech army.
But Czech army used G43 like sniper rifle and after that CZ vz.54
This type scope was not use prewar
and was developed on start of WWII

Stan

Scope S/N indicates it's very early 5 digit production (under 150 of them made prior to this one) not post-war production which had S/N in 6 digits. I purposely blanked out the last 2 digits.

It's also a VERY low S/N P-series rifle made around the same time the scope was. Again last two digits of S/N were blanked out.

Not to mention it has been Germanized and show all the signs of German use. ;)

Last edited:
Stippling is typically sporter rifle territory and not military. What German traits does the rifle have? The P series rifles were Japanese contract if memory serves me right, I've owned a few.

Stippling is typically sporter rifle territory and not military. What German traits does the rifle have? The P series rifles were Japanese contract if memory serves me right, I've owned a few.

P series were generally intended for export....mainly Japan and China, tho number of them were accepted into Czech service and have Czech acceptance stamps while others have been documented as being Germanized after occupation

Well other then the obvious traits of Germanization seen in the first two images, here's few more ;)

The scope rings are the civilean type of the Czech double claw mount. Usually they have rounded edges, but on this scope they are square. Regarding the earlier variant, there's the identical scope with serial #2449 currently for sale on eBay. Take this, combine it with a civilean type of the scope blocks (I do think I still have one rear block of those around), stipple the rings and the receiver - done. Oh, and of course bend and mill something off the bolt, to get the scope clearance.

Hello,
the Czech army only had a few (54 or so) sniper rifles for trials prior to occupation. The scopes came from Zeiss.
And I doubt that this is a German modified sniper rifle.
Thanks
Wolfgang

The scope rings are the civilean type of the Czech double claw mount. Usually they have rounded edges, but on this scope they are square. Regarding the earlier variant, there's the identical scope with serial #2449 currently for sale on eBay. Take this, combine it with a civilean type of the scope blocks (I do think I still have one rear block of those around), stipple the rings and the receiver - done. Oh, and of course bend and mill something off the bolt, to get the scope clearance.

Of course the rings will be "Czech civilian type", they never mass produced snipers.

Only problem with that theory is:

1) Find a pristine P-series with flawless bore that alone goes for +$500
2) Fine one of the above that's not import marked in any fashion
3) Find all the German Waffen parts to make it look like it served in German forces
4) Find very early Optikotechna scope to match the gun's period and also condition
5) Find period matching Czech rings.
6) Do all the machining to make those rings fit.
7) Stipple the receiver and mounts
7) Age/wear down the machining work and patina all that work so it looks like it was done +60 years ago.

Then after you do ALLLLLL that work and invest few thousands.....you sell the complete rifle for less than half of what the scope alone is worth :laugh:

BTW the bolt handle is standard curved bolt that has relief cut, seem them on other snipers before....

Last edited:
Did they produce any snipers at all? (prior to occupation!)

Reports are murky. There is some information that Optikotechna supplied optics to Brno at some point for trials. I'm trying to get a dialog going with the Army Musem in Prague to see if they have any records. I speak the language so that's a plus. Otherwise, I will be in Prague in few months so I will stop by if I can't get a reply via email. Apparently, they are moving their library right now so archives are not accessible.

But the Germans did match their parts. If it was in German service the parts would have been numbered to match

No they wouldn't. Czech rifles did not require it.

As matter of fact, as i recall Czechs under German occupation did not even start numbering everything on their occupation production until they fully shifted to the K98 platform with stamped parts.

Last edited:
There is some information that Optikotechna supplied optics to Brno at some point for trials. I'm trying to get a dialog going with the Army Musem in Prague to see if they have any records.

I did some research back in the 1980s concerning Czech snipers, when I got my first Norinab Zielvier. Back then, the Czech military museum did not have any records concerning sniper rifles used with the Czech Army. Only a few files about the Zeiss trial scopes.
Good luck!
Wolfgang

I did some research back in the 1980s concerning Czech snipers, when I got my first Norinab Zielvier. Back then, the Czech military museum did not have any records concerning sniper rifles used with the Czech Army. Only a few files about the Zeiss trial scopes.
Good luck!
Wolfgang

Did you deal with the museum directly or some english speaking middle man? 1980s probably wasnt a good time to seek information considering the whole Cold War thing! :)

Military Rifle Journal
Back