Third Party Press

Ammunition

Turkish ammo does seem a little on the hot side. Very reliable though, I never had a misfire. When I had a crap load of it, I'd pull the bullet, reduce powder by 5 grains, resize the case and put the bullet back in. It was OK for plinking, but nowhere near as good as m75 Yugo and just as corrosive. Watch out for loose bullets and cracked necks. Reloading is the way to go for 8x57 in my opinion. 150 or 175 gr Sierra and mild load of IMR 4895 will be better than just about any surplus ammo.

in the forum trader i made an ad talking about my ammo and the dangers of turkish ammo. The cracked stock potential essentially depends on the type and condition of the turk ammo in addition to what rifle you are shooting it in. Best to stay a away from putting it in a laminate stock gun nor would i risk shooting it in all matching rifle. if you have a turk, sweed, or south american mauser i would say go to town and shoot the hell out of it

Yes, very corrosive. Not worth the money people are asking for it these days. Local GS has a bunch of it for sale in 70rd. bandoleers. Not moving very fast.

So so quality / corrosive as Hell / use only in bolt action guns

yeah for the love of god do please do not shoot it in a semi or machine gun. They are corrosive as all are surplus ammo. That being said just because someone shoots new ammo I would hope they would clean their gun within 12 hours. I am cheaper then gunbroker because i am trying to sell in bulk.

As far as the quality i believe it to have been top notch at the time. Keep in mind turkey was armed by german attaches and military advisors who helped the turks to copy german arms. They went to extreme lengths to copy the s.S. patrone round exactly. The powder destabilized in the worst case scenarios and caused it to become hot. Realistically the german ammo has also become hot but is not talked about as people are shooting original ww2 german ammo.

Personally I think the Yugo surplus is the one to look for, even the 50s stuff. I've had too many hang fires with the Turkish stuff and the Romanian steel cased stuff is crap.

I've got one batch of Yugo made in 1950 that I save for special occasions, it's better than the M75 I have. Corrosive as hell but that's what they make hot water for.

Personally I think the Yugo surplus is the one to look for, even the 50s stuff. I've had too many hang fires with the Turkish stuff and the Romanian steel cased stuff is crap.

I've got one batch of Yugo made in 1950 that I save for special occasions, it's better than the M75 I have. Corrosive as hell but that's what they make hot water for.

if you are using a stanard K98K ,

but that M-75 was made for sniper rifles and the M-76, my teeth grit when I read about guy shooting this stuff in the mis match mausers for plinking

the turkish stuff is only good for reload components, and at that price the projectiles are not worth the reload, I see .323 projectile still for sale, same with the Iranian 30'06 & 8mm stuff and the paki 303 ammo

cracked stocks not surprised, shooting 60-75 year old rifles with surplus what do you expect

if you are using a stanard K98K ,

but that M-75 was made for sniper rifles and the M-76, my teeth grit when I read about guy shooting this stuff in the mis match mausers for plinking

the turkish stuff is only good for reload components, and at that price the projectiles are not worth the reload, I see .323 projectile still for sale, same with the Iranian 30'06 & 8mm stuff and the paki 303 ammo

cracked stocks not surprised, shooting 60-75 year old rifles with surplus what do you expect

Somehow i think saying turk ammo is only good for reload components is going too far. I have friends with turk and sweedish mausers who have shot thousands of rounds of turk trough their rifles with no issue. The fatter walnut stocks will digest it no problem or the russian captures with double recoil lugs. its the laminates that occasionally fail

Somehow i think saying turk ammo is only good for reload components is going too far. I have friends with turk and sweedish mausers who have shot thousands of rounds of turk trough their rifles with no issue. The fatter walnut stocks will digest it no problem or the russian captures with double recoil lugs. its the laminates that occasionally fail

Swedish Mauser with turkish surplus? 7.92 bullet in 6.5 barrel might be a little tight, no?

What is your guys opinion on the Israel 7.92x57? I have heard good things about that ammunition

never used or saw it for sale, I did have some 9mm Israeli surplus that shot fine, but that was back in the early 80's. The only middle eastern 8mm, I have or have ever used was Egyptian. I picked up 100 rounds in a trade, some times again in the 80's . It was dirty and corrosive, but shot fine. I have used modern IMI ammo and its first class, no reason to think their 8mm was any worst.
early Israeli ammo was czech and german repack.

Hibbs not tryng to kill your deal, but for me, having listened to hundreds of guys and thousands of posts, this stuff is too hot , mis-fires and hang fires. for a guy like me its was worth projectiles at one time, those days are now gone. if folks want to use this fodder its up to them. I do know of a reloader who had this ammo, he pulled the heads and reduced the powder charge and re-assembled

just look at all the cracked stocks and cracked G-43 receivers.

Many thanks

Thank you for all the input, gentlemen. I think I’ll wait until Academy restocks its shelves and buy “modern” ammo. You never know where the surplus stuff had been stored and it sounds like there is a wide range of opinions. If the ammo fails, I’m sure Academy has good products liability insurance!

What don't you like about the Romanian? Are you referring to the stuff with the green steel cases?

What don't you like about the Romanian? Are you referring to the stuff with the green steel cases?

Green steel cases and green/red marker on the neck/primer respectively.
I don't know what sheepdog's problem was but my RC shooter won't chamber the stuff, and the bullets appear to be pushed in slightly compared to PPU/Yugo/East German/WW2 German rounds I have (before I chamber them lol, my rifle doesn't do that to them). Probably the RC's headspace is tight enough to chamber regular stuff but the Romanian is just out-of-spec enough to not chamber.
I've also heard it's dirty as all hell.

Swedish Mauser with turkish surplus? 7.92 bullet in 6.5 barrel might be a little tight, no?

haha i might be confusing it with spanish...

Sprat:
Ive shot a good four hundred rounds of the stuff in laminate stocks without problems. It will absolutely destroy an autoloader no question about it. If you are familiar with reloading one of the first signs of over pressure cartridges' is primer catering. In my shooting experience only a few of my rounds experienced minor cratering as I was on the look out for it. Is it possible that this ammo could have been affected by poor storage and different batches of powder that gave it the reputation? My stuff has been air conditioned and stored in cans for at least the past two decades.

I do hope this was sarcasm, because I would love to see someone try to recover for ammo failure related injuries. That would be one impressive set of lawyering skills.

If the ammo fails, I’m sure Academy has good products liability insurance!

Green steel cases and green/red marker on the neck/primer respectively.
I don't know what sheepdog's problem was but my RC shooter won't chamber the stuff, and the bullets appear to be pushed in slightly compared to PPU/Yugo/East German/WW2 German rounds I have (before I chamber them lol, my rifle doesn't do that to them). Probably the RC's headspace is tight enough to chamber regular stuff but the Romanian is just out-of-spec enough to not chamber.
I've also heard it's dirty as all hell.

This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrI_-W2rIX0

Surprising, the gun Jesus likes it, even thou it is out of spec size wise. The out of spec is on the shorter side, so should not have issues in chambering.

Insurance for product failure

I do hope this was sarcasm, because I would love to see someone try to recover for ammo failure related injuries. That would be one impressive set of lawyering skills.

I am sure that Academy requires all of its sources to furnish certificates of insurance which include products liability coverage, and for high limits. Whether an individual case of product failure of any kind would result in paid damages depends on the circumstances, the skill of the legal representatives and the jury.

Not to take this too much way off topic, but law school theory vs actual practice are often night and day. I would love to see an attorney show, by preponderance of evidence, that a manufacturing flaw in a particular case, that destructed itself while being fired by the way, was a cause of failure in a 70+ year old surplus rifle of undocumented history and maintenance. Yes, after you find expert witnesses to attest to it, you now will need to convince a layperson full jury that this war relic of a rifle that went through a war with a oil soaked stock of wood glued with god knows what from war torn Germany was actually perfectly fine, and it was the ammo that caused the injury. Unless you are part of a massive wave of failures, which would likely mean the ammo was recalled before it made it out of QC and onto the market, a lone case like this has snowball's chance in hell of getting a payment to the claimant.

I am sure that Academy requires all of its sources to furnish certificates of insurance which include products liability coverage, and for high limits. Whether an individual case of product failure of any kind would result in paid damages depends on the circumstances, the skill of the legal representatives and the jury.

Military Rifle Journal
Back