Third Party Press

For the experts. What are your thoughts on this? CE 44 K98K

DOU44Mauser

It's selling on a Canadian site. Not mine.

Seller claims:

Up for sale is a 1944 k98 manufactured by Sauer & Sohn. The rifle is not a russian capture and has a matching bolt & receiver.

The rifle is 95%-matching; only the small round cocking piece behind the bolt shroud does not match. The receiver, barrel bands, bolt, bolt catch, all match. The rifle has a blank safety, which could also be a replacement. The floor plate and lower receiver are unique in that they appear to be factory errors which were then restamped correctly in the 3rd digit of the serial. The barrel is excellent and the bluing shows some wear around the action, but is in otherwise excellent condition. Comes with a WW2 era German sling. Stock is matching in number (under the upper handguard) to the everything else.

Received this from a friend's estate, but it does not fit my collection

From the photos it appears to be acid dipped and then reblued. Can't say anything about the wood from the lack of decent photos except that it would be interesting to see if the stock matches, since in most cases the takedown discs should be the smaller size.

Last edited:
Ok, my simple test again, but seems it has a large takedown disk, which means the stock is not a JPS stock. Still, the picture is on an angle, so I could be wrong.

(I draw lines from end corners of sling cutout and just touching the disk. Notice they will converge noticeably for JPS rifles with smaller disk)

OP's rifle:
1707073666046.png

other CE44s

1707073707780.png

1707073868216.png

Reference CE44 script: https://www.k98kforum.com/threads/script-font-1944-jp-sauer.35995/

Military Rifle Journal
Back