Third Party Press

"Late war" Krieghoffs

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
I apologize in advance for the length. It rambles a bit too.

So in doing Luftwaffe BAL research, I also happened to look at some Luftwaffe stuff, including HK Lugers. I didn't really intend to look that closely at it but what I saw bothered me. Basically, I think post-1940 Krieghoff Luger production is a problem. For a few reasons.

1. The first and most obvious problem are the serial numbers. Take a look at the attached serial number list that was kept over on Still's forum. Abandoned since 2015 because of petty egos, but useful. I've cleaned it up and I've added a few pistols to it. Take note of what happens around SN 11200. Its a mess. Production didn't work this way!

The claim, per the 1980 book by Gibson, is that Krieghoff manufactured all pistols that it ever shipped prior to end of the original 10,000 pistol contract in 1937. There is apparently no basis for this, it appears to an invention by Gibson (and presumably other collectors at the time) to explain away the absolutely bonkers serial number progression. HK is alleged to have produced more than 13500 pistols (or at least kits), and these were apparently at least partially numbered (!!!) but presumably undated and unfinished. When the contract ended these pistols were then "moved" and forgotten about.

In 1940 the Luftwaffe calls up and orders roughly 1000. Somehow serial progression is normal until 11200 when things go completely off the rails. After this, things go almost backwards for some reason, with ridiculously tiny yearly production numbers. Yet, somehow, pistols in the 11900 range are completed in 1940? How does anyone look at this and take it seriously?

Why one earth would the Luftwaffe even bother to contract HK to produce an absurd 200-300 obsolete Lugers per year when they were receiving shipments of thousands of P38s every month? There is just no explanation for the crazy SN distribution or tiny supposed production totals. None of it makes any sense.

2. A second problem is that something seems to happen at Krieghoff in late 1942. Before then, everything HK is BAL2 marked. Suddenly, fzs marked items like flare guns and MG15 are BAL22 marked. An fzs 1943 dated aircraft MG barrel (MG81 I guess) used on a VG1 rifle is completely BAL22 marked also. One of two things happened:

A. Whole production lines were moved elsewhere, possibly Belgium. Very possible! Honestly, probably the most likely explanation.
B. BAL2 left Suhl (obviously a big problem for Lugers). Like WaA offices, BAL did sometimes move.

I've been looking for a good pic of a first pattern FG42, which still have BAL acceptance, but unfortunately I cannot find any that are legible. One pic I have almost looks like BAL22? Second pattern FG42s have no BAL acceptance, and I think I know why that happened, but we won't get into that.

Another related question: would a branch plant far from Suhl still use the fzs code? I can't think of any other instances where that happened. The two Richard Rinker M24 plants had different codes (brb and dbk), so did MO and MB. Certainly, if parts were made in Belgium (or wherever) and then sent back to Suhl for completion I could see the fzs code being used, but if BAL2 didn't leave Suhl, the BAL22 stuff was made and inspected elsewhere. Why no code change?

2a. By the way, why aren't the late pistols fzs marked? HK continued to mark things "HK" into 1940 (see 1940 MG15) but by 1942 everything was fzs marked. HK collectors lean on, "well all the parts were made in 1937", but I don't like that explanation at all.

3. Third, we know that bogus chamber date changes were occurring. Ralph Shattuck was caught red-handed all the way back in 1980. Harold Skinner owned SN 11278 a matching mag 1940 in decent shape which was photographed for the HK book on pg.175. On pg.179, Shattuck owns the same pistol which is now in mint condition and dated 1941. Oops! To HK collector's credit, they do acknowledge the "large font" 1941 guns (at least a handful known) are all fake but only because ol' Ralph was dumb and/or greedy and got caught.

4. All of the 1945 pistols (which are all unquestionably fake) seem to originate with ol' Ralph too. When some collector died (no one I can find says who, maybe Ralph), all of the dies used to make 1945 guns were found in the his basement along with some unfinished 1945 parts. Ralph was a huge Luger collector and dealer for decades. How many pistols did he fake over the years? As an aside, the 1941 font Shattuck used looks like a match for the 1945 font.

5. Fake 1944 pistols in the 12000 range are also known and have been since the 1970s. They are good fakes, and the date font used looks different than the font on the Shattuck 1941/1945 guns. Partially scrubbed or good total fakes, I don't know. I think faking these has been going on for a very, very long time.

I'm open to being wrong, but my own gut feeling is that HK Luger production ended in 1940 probably around 11300. I'm guessing the Luftwaffe originally planned to receive the P38 but production delays led them to ask for more Lugers in 1940. Once P38 production ramped up, the Luger production was just not needed anymore and the HK aircraft MGs were at the top of the Luftwaffe's priority list.

In the 1950s/1960s, maybe over time some 1940s were "converted" into more profitable 1942, 1943, 1944, examples. There are large gaps in the commercial Krieghoff guns as well as the so called "PX" post-war guns, so perhaps those were another source for good fakes as they are usually undated and sometime even have some initial BAL acceptance on the parts. GIs also looted the factory when they left. Maybe ubiquitous Mauser spares or WW1 Erfurt parts (HK tooling came from Erfurt) were scrubbed and possibly reshaped? Crazy? I don't think so. A guy was making 1945s in his basement in the 1960s/1970s that fooled everyone (and still fools people). Why not 1942s and 1943s too? Think he was the only one doing this?

Its possible that 1940 production continued to 12000 but I think we would see more 1940s in the later ranges. The HK lists are now "secret", of course, so I can't be sure what has turned up over the years, and there is only so much I can do on the internet.
Bottom line: HKs are an enormous mess, and I have no idea how it will be sorted out. As I said maybe I am wrong, but I think something is very, very wrong here.

Edit: Just noticed that I forgot the 1943 MG barrel pic.

Attachments

• HK Military Serials.pdf
    446.7 KB · Views: 34
  • HK Commercial-Postwar.pdf
    488.3 KB · Views: 15
  • MG15 HK 2.jpeg
    MG15 HK 2.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 50
  • MG15 HK.jpg
    MG15 HK.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 52168a2x4.jpg
    52168a2x4.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 53
  • fzs-5.jpg
    fzs-5.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 52
  • on3772__13.jpg
    on3772__13.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 48
  • PLF_L_ 005.jpg
    PLF_L_ 005.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 51
  • fg42.jpg
    fg42.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 58
  • fg42 190_01.JPG
    fg42 190_01.JPG
    447.3 KB · Views: 61
  • CYT0R6.jpg
    CYT0R6.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I know I put Ryan on the spot with this, but it’s an important exercise that shows how critical thinking is important.

As collectors, it’s important to question everything, especially established ideas about things, even our own. So HK collecting is just an example - most people here will never collect HK Lugers, but the general principles remain- data drives research. You don’t have to own HK Lugers to research them from the data perspective. But what I find interesting is how the online data collection was halted in 2015 - did someone discover something they didn’t want to see once the serial number patterns became public?

HK Luger collecting is big $$$. When the champagne rune scandal broke it took someone within the field to break it. If post 1940 HK is proven to be a problem, unfortunately some people will be stuck with the bag.

But what I find interesting is how the online data collection was halted in 2015 - did someone discover something they didn’t want to see once the serial number patterns became public?

According to Ed Tinker, Pete Ebbink "forcefully" took over the spreadsheet (whatever that means) from Tom Whiteman. Apparently both got angry and went home abandoning the public data collection, deleting a lot of posts in the process. Petty, teenage girl drama.

I was actually thinking the same thing this morning. I might be persuaded that assembly picked back up at 11300 in 1943. Maybe another 500 pieces? But again, why? And why no fzs markings? Still bothers me.

You also have the late 11900 range 1940s which are a problem for 1943 assembly. The only one I have actually seen good photos of is 11994 which I don't think I like. SN font looks wrong.

Maybe another 500 pieces? But again, why? And why no fzs markings? Still bothers me.
Well as an observer with no skin in the game looking at the prices these things realize there's certainly greed as a motivating factor. Why would that be any different for Lugers? Why would it be any different 40 or even 50 years ago? Seems especially plausible if 1 or 2 knowledgable guys got a hold of dies that passed muster among most collectors. They'd have a 'golden ticket' to continue to enhance them.

This is very interesting work. Thanks for this Ryan. Would you like additional serial number information? Can send via PM .....

One of the prizes in my collection is a 43 Krieghoff. Sn #11428....2 matching mags!
It has been gone over several times by Luger guys I trust..no sign of shenanigans..

Last edited:
One of the prizes in my collection is a 43 Krieghoff. Sn #11428....2 matching mags!
It has been gone over several times by Luger guys I trust..no sign of shenanigans..
Have you ever posted photos of it? I’d have no idea If yours is legit or not, and no offense, but I trust “Luger guys” about as much as “SS helmet guys”. With that said, it seems plausible the 43’s could be legit.

Last edited:
Some quick pics I have on my phone... I get what you say about experts...My buddy studies them with micrometers and various lenses.. He has over 400 luger mags in his possession to compare for fakes....This one passes all Kreig tests ..thumbprint in back...etc.
Have you ever posted photos of it? I’d have no idea If yours is legit or not, and no offense, but I trust “Luger guys” about as much as “SS helmet guys”. With that said, it seems plausible the 43’s could be legit.

Attachments

• Kreig1.jpg
    Kreig1.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Kreig2.jpg
    Kreig2.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Kreig4.jpg
    Kreig4.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Kreig4.jpg
    Kreig4.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Kreig5.jpg
    Kreig5.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 87
  • kreig6.jpg
    kreig6.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Some quick pics I have on my phone... I get what you say about experts...My buddy studies them with micrometers and various lenses.. He has over 400 luger mags in his possession to compare for fakes....This one passes all Kreig tests ..thumbprint in back...etc.
Thanks. When you have time, can you take some better pics of the 1943 and the SNs? Don't care if you take it apart or not.

IMHO these 43's are certainly legit. There are enough consistent examples that have been studied. 44 and 45's not so sure...

Attachments

• kreig7.jpg
    kreig7.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 96
  • kreig8.jpg
    kreig8.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 91
  • kreig10.jpg
    kreig10.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 90
  • kreig11.jpg
    kreig11.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 86
  • kreig12.jpg
    kreig12.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 90
  • kreig9.jpg
    kreig9.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 80
I was perusing the serial study posted. Of 31 1943 HK Lugers reported there, 10 have 2 matched magazines. That's 33% of the ones reported. Incredible.

Me, if I had a post 1940 HK, I'd be nervous because of all the late HK fakery which has been admitted to.

So I have a question, why are they still numbering mags in 1943 when Mauser stopped in 1941? That is odd

I wouldn't base total fraudulence on that alone. Mauser stopped numbering items on the k98k where others continued. Mauser stopped p08 production in 42 due to being swapped over to the p38 but, HK was HG's private little factory he liked to play with and kept the p08 production going.. I have only seen one or two 44/45 HK p08's and neither impressed me much.

Reading the collector grade series of books on Volkstrum weapons, the fg42 and mp43-stg45 rifles really shows how dysfunctional it all really was.

Some factories simplified items and others did not. Uniforms , field gear ect. all vary in grades of derogation.

I wouldn't base total fraudulence on that alone. Mauser stopped numbering items on the k98k where others continued. Mauser stopped p08 production in 42 due to being swapped over to the p38 but, HK was HG's private little factory he liked to play with and kept the p08 production going.. I have only seen one or two 44/45 HK p08's and neither impressed me much.

Reading the collector grade series of books on Volkstrum weapons, the fg42 and mp43-stg45 rifles really shows how dysfunctional it all really was.

Some factories simplified items and others did not. Uniforms , field gear ect. all vary in grades of derogation.
Was numbering the magazine removed from the TL by WaPruf2 though? If it was, would HK be obligated to follow it? HK did number parts in odd ways, but wouldn't the TL still be the controlling document? Or would the Luftwaffe just ignore it?

I didn't say numbered mags confirmed total fraudulence. It is merely one more question about these pistols that needs answering. As Mike has pointed out, every other Luger with two matching mags is uncommon. Yet so many 1943 HK lugers have them? When 1943 HK's are rare? Seems odd. Unless they were all found in a depot some where, which is possible.

The thing about these HK lugers that strikes me as odd is not only are they weird (which I am ok with that) but they are inconsistent. Most other German firearms can have weird things but they will be consistent with each other. Such as byf44 L block. We see all types of parts used but they are all numbered the same.

And just out of curiosity, what things did Mauser stop numbering a full 2 years before other factories? 3-4 months I understand, even 6. But 2 years?

A detailed study of numbering would help, but the problem is quality of photos, angle of those photos, and lighting can all lead to misleading results. I still can’t get over the sheer number of 2 matched mag guns that doesn’t seem to have bothered anyone. Of course fakery is probably the reason but you can report anything without photos and it would go unnoticed.

Im not discrediting anything here... I just made a statement .. Im sure the research done by Ryan will bare fruit. I have seen highly faked and restored HK lugers. They are out there and typically the guys in the know don't get stuck with them. Just like the SHam-pain-ruin helmets the guys in Michigan never sold or got stuck with them. Hmmm, and seemed to know they were faked long before the rest.

We know Ku guns had some with matching mags..in the mid-40's. It is quite easy to make matching magazines for the small amount of guns produced. I have skin in the game here, but IMHO there are good post 40's assembled or made by Kreighoff.

Military Rifle Journal
Back