Third Party Press

Questionable Factory Helmets

http://www.germanhelmetdepot.com/html/_125f.html

M42 FIELD POLICE

Research indicates no M40/M42 field police production by the NS factory. If authentic, this would be a field/depot application. The beak of the eagle appears to have been cut off; a graphic feature I do not see on any of the field police decals listed in 'Germany's Combat Helmets 1933-1945' by Ken N. I do not have the latest decal book, so maybe someone can enlighten me ?

I wouldn't touch It with a 10foot pole.. NS made a ton of M35 Police helmets but, that's where it ends Im afraid. As for M42's on EF and HKp
made police lids.

SD HEER CKL 4557.

Posted on GHW2, a very convincing decal. However, lot# research indicates a problem with high lot#, 1944 dated band and 5-44 inkstamp.

Lot# research provides another way for collectors to detect postwar altered helmets. Many of us are not decal experts, but lot# research is an easy tool that anyone can use.

An apparently Euro-fake decal.

GHW2 lot number data base has ckl SD Heer all the way up to LN# 4692, with several being higher than you have observed. Just food for thought, interpret as you will. Nathan M.

GHW2 must be using my lot# reference and not their own. An example of a m42 CKL SD HEER helmet with a higher lot# (in the 4000 range) not passing muster.

Did somebody say that lot# research was "the savior of the hobby" ?? What a minute, that was in reference to XRFacts, wasn't' it ?

I for one would like to know where this decal originated from ? Interesting indeed. Never seen a grey boarded fake before. This is typical gun-broker crap and you could fill 10 forums with GB and ebay fakes.

NEW! Item 888 M42 single decal army helmet

http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/helmetssale.htm

This is a very nice and completely honest example of what I like to call "The Quintessential German WW2 Combat helmet"; the M42 single decal army. The helmet is an Hkp64. The wartime textured paint remains 95%+ intact. The texture and the matte appearance of the paint are quite good and it has not been made shiny by collector handling. The decal is a Huber Jordan type which mainly exists as a after-factory reissue type but is one of the types used by Hkp as factory application. It remains 98% intact. The leather liner is sound and sturdy. The chinstrap is by all indications; original to the helmet. Price $1150.00

This appears to be a late hkp M42, the lot# I read to be 5015, well into no-decal territory. The HJ&K Heer decal was not used by the SE/hkp factory to my knowledge, only the ET Heer decal.

The paint color looks like the slate color used by hkp occasionally later in the war after the 8-28-43 decal drop.

Ken's new decal book does not specify which Heer decal(s) is found on hkp M42 helmets. There was a dealer slapping these HJ&K decals on every ND helmet he could find; this may be one of them.

The newness of the decal jumps right off of that 70 year old paint, doesn't it ?? The garage paint drips are a nice touch.

M42 hkp64 3428 SD HEER ZSH RM RTGG ET-DECAL LAST KNOWN SD HEER

M42 hkp64 5015 ND RTGG ZSH RM

I don't know about you, but I feel so much better about paying an original price for a postwar modified helmet when someone mentions the word 'honesty' : )

EDIT 9/5/2022: I recall this helmet being downgraded as a postwar modified helmet and sold for $500. Ken must have read this post. Quite a difference in price between original and postwar modified helmets.

Attachments

• 888M42SDarmy (1).JPG
    888M42SDarmy (1).JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 888M42SDarmy (2).jpg
    888M42SDarmy (2).jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 888M42SDarmy (4).JPG
    888M42SDarmy (4).JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 888M42SDarmy (6).jpg
    888M42SDarmy (6).jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 888M42SDarmy (9).jpg
    888M42SDarmy (9).jpg
    214 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Remarkably, I just found this thread looking for hkp lot number date code correlation for a ND helmet I posted recently on ghw.

http://www.ghw2.com/topic/54633-m42-nd-hkp64/

At first I thought the lot was 5645, but it may be 5045. I think the one on Ken N's site "The Quintessential German WW2 Combat helmet"; has exactly the same lot number (The 1 is actually a 4). Even the stamping has the the same depth and position for each character.

Remarkably, I found this thread on this forum after looking for a date correlation for a hkp64 ND helmet I posted recently on ghw. Here:

http://www.ghw2.com/topic/54633-m42-nd-hkp64/

At first I thought the lot number may be 5645, but it may be 5045. The 4 is well defined.

When I look at the lot stamp on "The Quintessential German WW2 Combat helmet" on Ken's site it appears to be the exactly the same number (the 1 could be a 4) The depth and relative position of the stamping of each character seems to match mine.

This is a very nice and completely honest example of what I like to call "The Quintessential German WW2 Combat helmet"; the M42 single decal army. The helmet is an Hkp64. The wartime textured paint remains 95%+ intact. The texture and the matte appearance of the paint are quite good and it has not been made shiny by collector handling. The decal is a Huber Jordan type which mainly exists as a after-factory reissue type but is one of the types used by Hkp as factory application. It remains 98% intact. The leather liner is sound and sturdy. The chinstrap is by all indications; original to the helmet. Price $1150.00

This appears to be a late hkp M42, the lot# I read to be 5015, well into no-decal territory. The HJ&K Heer decal was not used by the SE/hkp factory to my knowledge, only the ET Heer decal.

The paint color looks like the slate color used by hkp occasionally later in the war after the 8-28-43 decal drop.

Ken's new decal book does not specify which Heer decal(s) is found on hkp M42 helmets. There was a dealer slapping these HJ&K decals on every ND helmet he could find; this may be one of them.

The newness of the decal jumps right off of that 70 year old paint, doesn't it ?? The garage paint drips are a nice touch.

M42 hkp64 3428 SD HEER ZSH RM RTGG ET-DECAL LAST KNOWN SD HEER

M42 hkp64 5015 ND RTGG ZSH RM

I don't know about you, but I feel so much better about paying an original price for a postwar modified helmet when someone mentions the word 'honesty' : )

Shouldn't Ken of all people know this?

This appears to be a late hkp M42, the lot# I read to be 5015, well into no-decal territory.

I see that Lot Number as #3015

EF

I see that Lot Number as #3015

EF

I would be interested to know the liner band date, should be 1943 or 1944. If 1944 that would be past the 28aug43 decal drop order.

Also, the HJ&K heer decal does not belong on that shell unless it was a reissue (hkp used ET heer decals exclusively IMO).

AND don't forget the decal itself which appears unissued/brand new against the aged finish.

I would be interested to know the liner band date, should be 1943 or 1944. If 1944 that would be past the 28aug43 decal drop order.

Also, the HJ&K heer decal does not belong on that shell unless it was a reissue (hkp used ET heer decals exclusively IMO).

AND don't forget the decal itself which appears unissued/brand new against the aged finish.

When boxed in a corner the dealer will always lie away saying possible field applied decal....:facepalm:

I suppose you could consider 'the field' as a dealer's back workshop in the year 2000.

This one dealer I recall had many helmets for sale with these mint HJ&K decals applied. Of course the helmets were priced as original SD helmets.

Shouldn't Ken of all people know this?

The new decal book is quite surprising in that 5 pages were devoted to children's toy helmets (which almost no one collects) but the reader is left guessing as to which factory Heer decals are found on M40 and M42 helmets.

ORG TODT single insignia on a qvL shell.

My gut feeling is that this ORG TODT decal is a fantasy decal. No period photos exist of it IMO. Org Todt troopers are shown with Heer decals. (p.237)

The write up in Ken's decal book is not very reassuring: he has found several decals which are graphically identical and distinct from others. I guess that makes them authentic.

I also believe that the ORG TODT stenciled insignia is a postwar concoction.

Most have been found in France and have been known to collectors since the 1970s. Champagne SS had also been known to collectors since the 1970s.

"The Helmet Decals of the Third Reich" Ken Niewiarowicz pp. 237-239

Attachments

• ORGTODT LSII.jpg
    ORGTODT LSII.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 37
  • ORGTODT LINER.jpg
    ORGTODT LINER.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 20
https://www.ratisbons.com/shop/MILITARIA/Headgear/

It looks like dealers are having difficulty finding decent factory helmet stock. I know dealers have had difficulty finding decent camo stock.

Here beat helmets are being sold as is. Elsewhere they "grow" components such as bailing wire, chicken wire, camo paint, woodchips, concrete, a ghosted net/wire configuration, etc...

Attachments

• 183helab3.jpg
    183helab3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 183helab5.jpg
    183helab5.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 183helab10.jpg
    183helab10.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 183helq3.jpg
    183helq3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 183helq10.jpg
    183helq10.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 183hels3.jpg
    183hels3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 183hels10.jpg
    183hels10.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 186hels3.jpg
    186hels3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 186hels5.jpg
    186hels5.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 186hels15.jpg
    186hels15.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 19
  • 186helw3.jpg
    186helw3.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 186helw9.jpg
    186helw9.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 186helw14.jpg
    186helw14.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
https://www.ratisbons.com/shop/MILITARIA/Headgear/

It looks like dealers are having difficulty finding decent factory helmet stock. I know dealers have had difficulty finding decent camo stock.

Here beat helmets are being sold as is. Elsewhere they "grow" components such as bailing wire, chicken wire, camo paint, woodchips, concrete, a ghosted net/wire configuration, etc...

yes they do! But try and tell that to the unwashed masses,,,they will try to beat you down with insults in a vain attempt to cover for their ignorance
They refuse to believe or understand

WW2 M40 Q64 German Wehrmacht Helmet​

Item H695: These are becoming harder and harder to find because it is a perfect blank palette for the counterfeiters. It is a rear stamped Quist M40 which was issued from the factory with zero decals. The Third Reich only issued rear stamped Quist M40 helmets with decals on Combat Polizei helmets. Nothing else. If you encounter an M40 rear stamped Quist with decals other than Polizei decals it’s a fake. Anyway, Super tight fitting liner system 100% original to the helmet. All three untouched split pin rivet fasteners intact and complete with all three slotted washers. Pig skin leather liner is undamaged, fully pliable and has taken on a darkened aged appearance. Drawstring in full length with original factory knot still in place. Buckle end of chinstrap is steel. Long portion of strap is fully pliable but has been cut down about an inch to accommodate the soldier which was not uncommon. Overall excellent condition. Price: $1150

These are becoming harder and harder to find because it is a perfect blank palette for the counterfeiters.

In this case, the helmet itself is not questionable; it is 100% authentic. It is the description of the helmet that is questionable.

When dealers go into detail about why their common no-decal helmets should command super-high prices due to fakery, I just feel like I'm being played for a fool. As the description goes, counterfeiters have been using no-decal helmets as the perfect blank palette to modify them into something they never were to sell for higher prices. And yes, for decades dealers have been deeply involved with such helmets. But now, since so many ND helmets have been postwar modified, the existing untouched ND helmets are more difficult to find, thus the higher prices !! Talk about a marketing strategy !!

The Third Reich only issued rear stamped Quist M40 helmets with decals on Combat Polizei helmets. Nothing else. If you encounter an M40 rear stamped Quist with decals other than Polizei decals it’s a fake.

This is a common misconception, that EVERY rear stamped Q M40 helmet with decals other than Field Police is fake. I suppose they just like to Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS). It is not surprising that dealers are peddling questionable information along with all of their other questionable wares.

The rear marked Quist M40 helmets appear at around Lot# DN300 and are seen mixed with Side Marked (SM) helmets to lot# DN361 where is found the last SD HEER helmet.

Rear marked Quist M40 helmets are seen as SD SS, SD Heer, SD Luft and DD Field police (factory Quist decals all) in addition to ND Green-gray and ND slate gray and a Beaded helmet.
(A significant number of Side Marked-SM helmets are also seen in this range but I did not list them. I was concentrating on Rear Marked-RM decaled helmets.)

M40 Q64 DN301 SD SS ZSH RTGG Q-SS 41STRAP SM/RM SAME LOT#
M40 Q64 DN323 SD HEER BF ZSH, ZPG RTGG SM/RM SAME LOT#
M40 Q64 DN327 SD LUFT ZSH RM RTBG ET/LUFT
M40 Q64 DN331 SD HEER BF ZSH, ZPG RTGG 40STRAP-LEON H.BECK SM/RM SAME LOT#
M40 Q64 DN343 SD HEER BF ZSH RTGG SM/RM
M40 Q64 DN343 DD POLI BD ZSH RTGG RM TILT
M40 Q64 DN345 SD HEER BF ZSH RM RTGG JAW-LESS BF (ref: Ken N. II p.61 bottom)

M40 Q64 DN348 SD HEER BF ZSH RTGG RM 43STRAP/RBSTRAP

M40 Q64 DN348 DD POLI BD ZSH RM RTGG

M40 Q64 DN348 ND RTGG ZSH RM (I N348 ERROR) (GENERAL ISSUE)

M40 Q64 DN350 SD HEER BF ZSH RTGG RM
M40 Q66 DN355 SD LUFT ZSH SM RTBG ET/LUFT LAST KNOWN SD LUFT
M40 Q64 DN356 SD HEER BF ZSH RTGG RM
M40 Q64 DN357 SD SS 42ZPG/STRAP-G.SCHIELE SM RTGG Q-SS (LAST CONFIRMED Q-SS)
M40 Q64 DN358 SD HEER BF 43ZSH-DRP, ZPG RM RTGG IKA43-RIVETS RBNr. STRAP-0/0950/0302 Juni43-LINER INKSTAMP

M40 Q64 DN359 SD HEER BF ZSH RM RTGG 43STRAP-gtg

M40 Q64 DN359 DD POLI BD ZSH, ZPG RM SLATE TILT 2-SEAM LINER 57cm
M40 Q64 DN359 BEAD ND SFDB-SATIN FINISH DARK BLUE RM (USE UNKNOWN)
M40 Q64 DN360 SD HEER BF ZSH RTGG RM

M40 Q64 DN360 DD POLI BD ZSH RM RTGG

M40 Q64 DN360 ND SLATE 42ZSH RM (GENERAL ISSUE)

M40 Q64 DN360 ND RTGG ZSH RM (GENERAL ISSUE)

M40 Q64 DN361 SD HEER BF 43ZPG-FWM RM SLATE STRAP-Henseler&Co LAST SD HEER

M40 Q64 DN361 ND SLATE, RTGG ZSH, ZPG RM

Attachments

• H695-1.jpg
    H695-1.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 14
  • H695-4.jpg
    H695-4.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 10
  • H695-5.jpg
    H695-5.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 13
  • H695-7 crop.jpg
    H695-7 crop.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
SE64 4464 rear markings. I know of no such SE marked M42s. The hkp mark started during later SE factory M40 production. All M42s by this factory were marked hkp as per my own experience. All fake components as well. Ventilation holes are incorrect for this factory. Paint is incorrect.

This helmet sold on German Ebay for nearly $200 USD. Novice collectors could well be sucked in by this nonsense.

As I see militaria collecting in general, it seems 50% of those involved are out to screw you; 25% could not care less if you get screwed; and 25% are actually there to help you.

Attachments

• ZM42LS.jpg
    ZM42LS.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ZM42RS.jpg
    ZM42RS.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ZM42LINER.jpg
    ZM42LINER.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 14
  • ZM42STRAMP.jpg
    ZM42STRAMP.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 14

WW2 German Army double decal M35 steel helmet by F.W. Quist G.m.b.H., Esslingen​

Model 1935 steel helmet, with Heer decal (95% present) to left side and national tricolour decal (95% present), with excellent bottle green coloured finish to body, with light wear. Retains leather liner, showing use, with all fingers present, showing light service, with leather chinstrap. Steel shell maker stamped Q64 and 269 to rear skirt. Scarce.

$5,495.00
SOLD

I don't believe there is anything original here. Movie props are getting expensive.

Attachments

• WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen.jpg
    WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 15
  • WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen-5.jpg
    WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen-5.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 15
  • WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen-4.jpg
    WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen-4.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 15
  • WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen-9.jpg
    WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen-9.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 15
  • WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen-10.jpg
    WW2-German-Army-double-decal-M35-steel-helmet-by-F.W.-Quist-G.m.b.H.-Esslingen-10.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
H-220

WW2 German Model 1942 Luftwaffe Single Decal Helmet​

https://www.therupturedduck.com/col...rman-model-1942-luftwaffe-single-decal-helmet
  • $ 1,250.00

WW2 German Model 1942 Luftwaffe Single Decal Helmet-This example has a rough texture, blue grey finish that remains mostly intact. The decal is 80% intact. The interior has a brown leather, size 56 liner which has minor discoloration only. A very unique feature is the perforated forehead which I am certain was done by the wearer, who also wrote his name onto the liner. There is a drawstring and a zinc liner band. The side of the interior is stamped ET 64 indicating production by Eisenhuttenwerke of Thale in the size of 64. The rear skirt is stamped with the lot number 1535 indicating 1942 production. There is a dark brown leather chinstrap that is in fine condition as well. Excellent!

It is a good idea for German helmet collectors to be well familiar with postwar stahlhelms such as West German. This liner brow perforation was used on 1970s era west german M40s. This liner was apparently fitted to an original band. Notice extra bends on rivet legs.

Also interesting is how dealers will become certain of the authenticity of unusal aspects of the helmets they are selling. (I knew that snow camo was authentic the second I laid my eyes on it)-Ken N.

Re: Sham pain SS ruins: (I just considered them part of the SS decal pantheon). Kelly H.

Attachments

• WW2_M42_Luftwaffe_Combat_Helmet_37057_1024x1024.jpg
    WW2_M42_Luftwaffe_Combat_Helmet_37057_1024x1024.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 27
  • WW2 M42 ET64 LUFT PERFORATEDLINER.jpg
    WW2 M42 ET64 LUFT PERFORATEDLINER.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
geez.. I knew it was bad out there but, didnt think it was this bad.. The RD has really gone down hill.. Havent looked there in years..

Military Rifle Journal
Back