Third Party Press

Questionable Rifles at Legacy

As I’ve been led to understand, many of these numbers/letters are hard or impossible to find in exact font. This is of course, a blessing for all involved, besides humpers themselves. The humpers, between the skill of their “craft” and their ability to generate hyperbole for their product, are getting very good at suckering the unwary and/or uneducated. We have to remain vigilant and call these out as they come by.

Tom at Legacy should be ashamed of himself. He's a crook, flat out. He's well and truly burned all of his chances in terms of being granted the benefit of the doubt. This is at least the 5th or 6th rifles that have been bad. I can clearly see that he's using his position to knowingly and willingly peddle this crap for large profit margins, and maybe even has someone doing the 98k dirty work for him behind the scenes. Speculation of course on the latter
Let me jump on my CAD program, a simple 3 axis CNC mill, and I'll be rich! No worries, but it really wouldn't be THAT hard. Just some plain old annealed carbon steel would do fine.

Here is the bolt from that 147/S that with your help I found out some things I knew nothing of. Here is the bolt boss showing a set of numbers magnified 200X under a dissecting microscope. Lousy picture because my camera I use died and another I had to hand hold because it did not fit the adaptor I made for the dead one. I'm fixing that. Anyway, I'm interested in this numbering thing! It's obvious the boss, safety and excractor were ground (not machined and my guess is by hand) then renumbered and blued. The cocking piece looks to be a blank, numbered, as there is no grinding. Another interesting to me thing is it seems the numerals were put down from right to left as can be seen by the 7 displacing material into the 3.

I'd really like to get a look at one of these pantographed things. They would have to show fresh tool marks unless, perhaps, a bit of muriatic acid was applied. But that would have some tell-tales, too.

This also raises questions I have about renumbering. If what I have was legitimately a refurbed (for lack of a better term) How does one actually know? Because, these restamped fonts to me do not match those on the receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_1437 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1437 (Medium).JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I used to just shake my head in bewilderment at people who would pay big money for guns or other collectibles that they clearly had done little or no research about, but now I have come to accept that so many people are broke or in debt because they spend even huger amounts of money on even stupider junk. So at least the guy buying an over-priced humped K98 has something he can hold and shoot and isn't worth zero dollars, unlike the crushing interest debt he probably also has. I don't like that it screws up our market, but I guess you can say the same thing about a lot of other things too.

Wow, the tech to fake fonts is pretty scary! This rampant fakery is why so many newer collectors are hesitant to get into K98k’s.

The best takeaway- always post pics of a perspective rifle here before buying.

Like everything else money draws out the worst in people.

However, those who fail to do a bit of research before they spend their money do not deserve any sympathy, IMHO....

It makes me sick when this crap is sold, regardless of if its a simple GB listing, or high end auction like Rock Island.
Irregardless, the methodology is the same - pushing junk. Hopefully in our small way, this forum can continue to "call them as we see them".

It makes me sick when this crap is sold, regardless of if its a simple GB listing, or high end auction like Rock Island.
Irregardless, the methodology is the same - pushing junk. Hopefully in our small way, this forum can continue to "call them as we see them".
Agreed, it’s sad when the faked stuff gets over on someone and only afterwards do they think to look for opinions on the authenticity of the gun. In fact, most of the time they aren’t even looking for THAT, they want to know “how they did” or “what can you tell me about my new rifle?”

I hope everyone here that has been around a while continues to scrutinize everything we see, and shares their ideas even if it’s bad news. In order to advance knowledge of the K98 we have to really police the hump jobs.

Here is the bolt from that 147/S that with your help I found out some things I knew nothing of. Here is the bolt boss showing a set of numbers magnified 200X under a dissecting microscope. Lousy picture because my camera I use died and another I had to hand hold because it did not fit the adaptor I made for the dead one. I'm fixing that. Anyway, I'm interested in this numbering thing! It's obvious the boss, safety and excractor were ground (not machined and my guess is by hand) then renumbered and blued. The cocking piece looks to be a blank, numbered, as there is no grinding. Another interesting to me thing is it seems the numerals were put down from right to left as can be seen by the 7 displacing material into the 3.

I'd really like to get a look at one of these pantographed things. They would have to show fresh tool marks unless, perhaps, a bit of muriatic acid was applied. But that would have some tell-tales, too.

This also raises questions I have about renumbering. If what I have was legitimately a refurbed (for lack of a better term) How does one actually know? Because, these restamped fonts to me do not match those on the receiver.
I’ll say this: at least currently, even stamps made by a CNC machine and then used on a bolt or part now in 2021 are going to be detectable with enough scrutiny, and of course with good photos or better yet in hand. But yes, the CNC capability to generate stamps from actual legit parts is doable today. STAMPING parts with them today and making it PASS for 1945, not so much.

We take care of each other here. This forum is really one of the last hopes for honest 98k collecting. Unfortunately, it’s only natural that we don’t reach out to everyone, that’d be impossible. But we can reach out to those we can, and assist each other. We can also recommend people to the forum, and although growth isn’t always good in every aspect, for the most part at least some people will find some actual informative content that negates such purchase stupidity, and maybe these d-bag sellers chomping at the bit to make a dishonest buck will be stuck with the floating turds.

There’s a reason all 4 of my 98k’s have come from members of this forum, right out of the trader. I trust vetted members here to the point I’d be glad to have a beer with any of them if I could. Long story short, we are the 98k collector community, as we know it. There are others out there yes, but as for the web, this is the best of the best. Legacy is not, they are only interested in money. Should that mean selling their soul for a buck, then so be it. That’s why I have no respect for Legacy Tom and his cucks in sales.

Last edited:
Again, with ALL THE RESOURCES AVAILABLE , both publicly and privately, to vet potential buys, there is absolutely NO VALID reason for anyone willing to do just a little work, to be able avoid these expensive pitfalls, and / or dishonest dealers.

FOOLS AND THEIR MONEY ARE, AS ALWAYS, SOON PARTING WAY.

If they are happy getting screwed then so be it !!!!!

I mean look at this crap and tell me any reasonable person would bid on it....

We take care of each other here. This forum is really one of the last hopes for honest 98k collecting. Unfortunately, it’s only natural that we don’t reach out to everyone, that’d be impossible. But we can reach out to those we can, and assist each other. We can also recommend people to the forum, and although growth isn’t always good in every aspect, for the most part at least some people will find some actual informative content that negates such purchase stupidity, and maybe these d-bag sellers chomping at the bit to make a dishonest buck will be stuck with the floating turds.

There’s a reason all 4 of my 98k’s have come from members of this forum, right out of the trader. I trust vetted members here to the point I’d be glad to have a beer with any of them if I could. Long story short, we are the 98k collector community, as we know it. There are others out there yes, but as for the web, this is the best of the best. Legacy is not, they are only interested in money. Should that mean selling their soul for a buck, then so be it. That’s why I have no respect for Legacy Tom and his cucks in sales.

Yeah as a newer collector I refuse to buy unless it's from the trader. There's nothing better than knowing you're in safe community where everybody looks out for each other to preserve these beautiful pieces of history. That and I still don't know enough to be dangerous with GB, auction, or gun show rifles...even with all volumes of the books and collecting for more than a year now.

Again, with ALL THE RESOURCES AVAILABLE , both publicly and privately, to vet potential buys, there is absolutely NO VALID reason for anyone willing to do just a little work, to be able avoid these expensive pitfalls, and / or dishonest dealers.

FOOLS AND THEIR MONEY ARE, AS ALWAYS, SOON PARTING WAY.

If they are happy getting screwed then so be it !!!!!

I mean look at this crap and tell me any reasonable person would bid on it....

Jeezus! $2k for THAT?? It's a perfect example of 'what's wrong with this thing' for newer guys because there's plenty. Insane.

Military Rifle Journal
Back