Third Party Press

1936 Polish Wz.98a Long Rifle

krukster86

Snagged another one, thanks to a delightful in person meetup with another forum member here.

Interestingly, the conversation on this one started when I was doing research for my video on the Wz.98a Long Rifle. I contacted various members on the K98k Forum and GunBoards that posted examples of theirs from a while back and asked for more information and detailed photos. Only one member reached out back to me, and they hinted that if they were ever to sell it, I would be getting “first dibs”. Several months later, I happened to be on an out of state assignment for work and about 15 minutes away from that forum member, so we had a meetup and we came to a handshake deal on it.

I am very pleased to add this one to my collection. It is a 1936 dated example, the first year of Wz.98a production. It has the correct Polish unmarked triggerguard, follower, floorplate, and has a correct Wz.98a matching bolt, and it is not import marked. While it is a bit “salty”, it shows no signs of any rework. Bore is in excellent shape, and should be an excellent shooter, though I rarely have any time to hit the range these days.

The story that the forum member relayed to me (from the original owner of it), is that it was a bring back by a family member and the stock was sporterized, so a reproduction (PPHU Fox?) late WWI pattern Gew.98 stock and bands were fitted to it, which honestly is a good enough facsimile for a Wz.98a pattern stock.

I do have a FB marked Polish rework of a Gew.98 sitting in a Wz.98a stock, so when I get back home, I might do some stock swapping to put this one into its original configuration.

That is awesome. I'm looking forward to more pictures when you swap the stocks!
Finally made it back home. One of the first things I did was attempt to swap stocks. Unfortunately, the Wz98a stock I have on my Polish Gew.98 rework doesn’t seem to want to play fair with fitment of the 1936 Wz.98a. Rather than use force and potentially cause damage to a rare stock, I just let it be and returned everything to their former stocks. I’m ok with that.

Military Rifle Journal
Back