Third Party Press

71/84 from the TMCA show

RoscoeTurner

Picked this 71/84 up a couple of weeks ago at the Tennessee Military Collectors Association show. Purchased it from Tim Prince of College Hill Arsenal. Super nice fellow who specializes in 19th century firearms and is also an evaluator for Antiques Roadshow. Odd thing about that sale was that after I got home I noticed Tim's inventory tag number was the last four of my social security number so I guess I was meant to have this one.

I missed a 71/84 four or five years ago at SOS, at that time I did not know hardly anything about them so I was hesitant. It was on a table across from ours for four days and when I finally made up my mind it was gone. I am sure others here have had similar experiences.

Did not see any more in reasonable condition until this last SOS, all way over priced with one selling for around $1600 and being moved to another table to be priced at $2600.

The only real goober I see on this one is around the tang screw but I can live with that.

Attachments

• 3978.jpg
    3978.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 3978a.jpg
    3978a.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 3978e.jpg
    3978e.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 3978f.jpg
    3978f.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 3978g.jpg
    3978g.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 3978h.jpg
    3978h.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 3978J.jpg
    3978J.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 3978k.jpg
    3978k.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 3978L.jpg
    3978L.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 7184b.jpg
    7184b.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 7184c.jpg
    7184c.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 31
Picked this 71/84 up a couple of weeks ago at the Tennessee Military Collectors Association show. Purchased it from Tim Prince of College Hill Arsenal. Super nice fellow who specializes in 19th century firearms and is also an evaluator for Antiques Roadshow. Odd thing about that sale was that after I got home I noticed Tim's inventory tag number was the last four of my social security number so I guess I was meant to have this one.

I missed a 71/84 four or five years ago at SOS, at that time I did not know hardly anything about them so I was hesitant. It was on a table across from ours for four days and when I finally made up my mind it was gone. I am sure others here have had similar experiences.

Did not see any more in reasonable condition until this last SOS, all way over priced with one selling for around $1600 and being moved to another table to be priced at $2600.

The only real goober I see on this one is around the tang screw but I can live with that.
That's a great late one! Thanks for posting it up. The lack of unit mark is pretty typical for these late ones. Great bluing on the barrel!

This is a nice one. I’ve been tempted more and more to pick one up myself. A neat design and usually in top notch condition. Congrats on the patience to pick one up at what I’m assuming was a fair deal.

Great example, rather minty.. added it to the research thread, cool handle too (Roscoe Turner), reminds me of the old south growing up! The pilot or a real name? Hope the latter!

Great example, rather minty.. added it to the research thread, cool handle too (Roscoe Turner), reminds me of the old south growing up! The pilot or a real name? Hope the latter!

Thanks. Not the real name, I live where he grew up.

Great that he is remember where he grew up! Would have been cool to have a relationship! I have known a few Roscoe's and they are always characters!

Great that he is remember where he grew up! Would have been cool to have a relationship! I have known a few Roscoe's and they are always characters!
When I first moved here in 1996 I did have the opportunity to meet with several people who knew him. They all said he was quite the character walking around the downtown area with his pet lion.

Attachments

• roscoe-turner-gilmore-1930.jpg
    roscoe-turner-gilmore-1930.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 13

Military Rifle Journal
Back