Third Party Press

A discussion on production, emphasis on scarce codes.

Especially as two of the books are now all sold, and as has been said, all will likely to have been sold within 12+ months or so, and then no one will be able to say go buy the books.........so what happens then to any new people when they ask a question on here?

Or does the forum become a select clique of 'book owners' rather than K98 owners?

The forum has never been about who owns the books and won’t ever be. Books in general are better than forums because information is easier to access. People I know, who own the books, even email me to ask questions. I have to look in the books to find it, and like Herk if the books are home then people have to wait or ask someone else, contrary to popular mythology neither Bruce nor I actually know everything by heart in the books. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Books and books

Mike and I have had some discussion about what to do down the road.
In all likelihood, we would license the 3-volume set to one of the better publishers.

This would not include Schiffer. Another possibility would be a digital edition.

We would come to a decision once Volume II is long gone.

Of course things could change as nothing is set in stone.

Well, we've talked about having another publish it, but like when we are both dead. LOL. I suspect thought finding a book printer in 2050 will be hard.

Maybe a digital version, maybe. The problem is once you go digital its out there and you can't put it back. My idea was a pocket version of the books, with the raw data, available anywhere. Cheap enough you could leave copies all over the place to access.

Well, we've talked about having another publish it, but like when we are both dead. LOL. I suspect thought finding a book printer in 2050 will be hard.

Maybe a digital version, maybe. The problem is once you go digital its out there and you can't put it back. My idea was a pocket version of the books, with the raw data, available anywhere. Cheap enough you could leave copies all over the place to access.

Audio books are the way to go! :laugh: :googlie

I say once the books sell out we have a celebratory party featuring some Bud lights! Bruce and Mike on one side, bud light on the other. Two titans of industry combining for glorious celebration.

well this thread was quite a train wreck.

Despite not posting anything on the subject, here's my problem with what Herk did: His post was entitled "questionable 660 1939". The rifle is not questionable and this automatically turns off interested parties based on zero fact posted by a new collector who admits to not knowing what he's talking about. I thought the receiver shot was the one used in the book, ill have to go back and check. If not, that's my mistake to own. But that certainly isnt the selling point on the rifle- the code itself is- and mentioning the book wasn't pushed as a selling point in the description. At all. Herk's thread questioned me as a seller and called me out for "taking advantage of Mike and Bruce". I, like many of us here, contributed to the books and know Mike and Bruce. Herk, I suspect, contributed nothing to the books and probably doesn't know Bruce or Mike.

Of course Herk didn't know any of this. But to Rockisle's point....if you're new and dont know the people or the community (or the rifles for that matter) less posting and more reading is warranted. Asking questions is ok, accusing isn't. To post something about a truly rare code, then start a discussion wanting to discuss rarity of a much more common rifle (all the answers to which are already posted on this forum), seems silly. Our crusty old bastards here have earned their keep, including Dave and Rockisle. I doubt any harm was intended and everybody should stop taking the internet so seriously.

Last edited:
I personally don't think that's right Rob basically telling somebody to keep their mouth shut until they get some more experience under their belt. I could kind of agree to that but it can sound kind of arrogant to newer collectors. After all Dave website is primarily used to discuss rifles brought to auction.

Still I would be quite happy right now Rob your rifle did bring close to $5,000. So I guess him bringing your rifle up actually brought more bidders to your sale.

In the end it's a beautiful rifle I hope your buyer is quite happy and I hope you're quite happy with your sale.

well this thread was quite a train wreck.

Despite not posting anything on the subject, here's my problem with what Herk did: His post was entitled "questionable 660 1939". The rifle is not questionable and this automatically turns off interested parties based on zero fact posted by a new collector who admits to not knowing what he's talking about. I thought the receiver shot was the one used in the book, ill have to go back and check. If not, that's my mistake to own. But that certainly isnt the selling point on the rifle- the code itself is- and mentioning the book wasn't pushed as a selling point in the description. At all. Herk's thread questioned me as a seller and called me out for "taking advantage of Mike and Bruce". I, like many of us here, contributed to the books and know Mike and Bruce. Herk, I suspect, contributed nothing to the books and probably doesn't know Bruce or Mike.

Of course Herk didn't know any of this. But to Rockisle's point....if you're new and dont know the people or the community (or the rifles for that matter) less posting and more reading is warranted. Asking questions is ok, accusing isn't. To post something about a truly rare code, then start a discussion wanting to discuss rarity of a much more common rifle (all the answers to which are already posted on this forum), seems silly. Our crusty old bastards here have earned their keep, including Dave and Rockisle. I doubt any harm was intended and everybody should stop taking the internet so seriously.

No, that was not my post. I was not the original creator of “questionable 660...” I’ve never even responded in that thread. I simply responded to the original post on Dave’s forum made by Dave himself, claiming nothing besides the fact that I didn’t actually see that EXACT rifle in the books. I did not see the same serial number on the page the seller said it was on in the selling description. I claimed it was a crummy sales tactic, but I never once through all of this said anything about the depot rifle itself. Why didn’t I say anything about the rifle itself? Because I’m not an expert on depot rifles. I think this whole thing has been a misunderstanding, I didn’t realize at least some of you guys are under the impression that I actually made the 660 post on this forum. No, again, I did not. Just my little response in Dave’s forum about the EXACT rifle not being in the book where the seller described if at all. I did not question the rifle nor the seller, with the exception of what I interpreted as a crummy sales tactic.

Last edited:
Jordan- As i recall i never got on Herk's case. And as i just said i have no problem with someone posting and asking questions about a rifle. This is how you learn (but so is reading existing information).

My problem is Herk's statement of "Taking advantage of two of the world’s best authors, and their incredibly hard work, is not cool to me. He should have and could have worded it differently, and I wouldn’t be upset."

Again, posted by someone who doesn't know Bruce or Mike and contributed nothing to the books about someone who knows them and contributed to the books.

That said, I did take a look at the book and it does appear the receiver shot may be a different 39. This is my mistake. The 660 just sold is one of the ones i took with me to Bruce's house to have photographed for the book. I did go back and where i confused this is that Paul used the receiver shot for an MRJ article and i thought it was used in the book as well.

Last edited:
Jordan and Herk- As i recall i never got on Herk's case. And as i just said i have no problem with someone posting and asking questions about a rifle. This is how you learn (but so is reading existing information). My problem is Herk's statement of "Taking advantage of two of the world’s best authors, and their incredibly hard work, is not cool to me. He should have and could have worded it differently, and I wouldn’t be upset."

Again, posted by someone who doesn't know Bruce or Mike and contributed nothing to the books about someone who knows them and contributed to the books.

That said, I did take a look at the book and it does appear the receiver shot may be a different 39. This is my mistake. The 660 just sold is one of the ones i took with me to Bruce's house to have photographed for the book. I did go back and where i confused this is that Paul used the receiver shot for an MRJ article.

That was my problem this whole time Dibbs, I didn’t see it in the book. A simple discrepancy that I probably could have brought up as such. For this, I deeply apologize. I do talk to Mike more than I talk to just about anyone else on this forum but I won’t even begin to claim that I know him or Bruce. I shouldn’t have been a jerk from the start by throwing that kind of fire your way for a simple issue. I didn’t even realize that it was your rifle, or that you had been so involved in the creation of the books. Again, I apologize, and I’m glad she sold for a good price and I hope it goes to a great home. Awesome rifle even though I don’t know much about depot guns yet. I hope we can all put this past us and march on.

Last edited:
That was my problem this whole time Dibbs, I didn’t see it in the book. A simple discrepancy that I probably could have brought up as such. For this, I deeply apologize. I do talk to Mike more than just about anyone else on this forum but I won’t even begin to claim that I know him or Bruce. I shouldn’t have been a jerk from the start by throwing that kind of fire your way for a simple issue. I didn’t even realize that it was your rifle, or that you had been so involved in the creation of the books. Again, I apologize, and I’m glad she sold for a good price and I hope it goes to a great home. Awesome rifle even though I don’t know much about depot guns yet. I hope we can all put this past us and march on.

I dont expect special treatment just because I'm a forum member. At the end of the day you were correct and I made a mistake. I just didnt like your insinuation but wasnt bothered enough to post about it until this thread went kaboom. As you said, all a big misunderstanding and no hard feelings on my end.

I dont expect special treatment just because I'm a forum member. At the end of the day you were correct and I made a mistake. I just didnt like your insinuation but wasnt bothered enough to post about it until this thread went kaboom. As you said, all a big misunderstanding and no hard feelings on my end.

Yes, I definitely should have just made a response in Dave’s thread saying something like “I didn’t actually see the number, is this a discrepancy?” or something more professional along those lines. That’s my mistake and I accept the responsibility. No hard feelings at this point on my end either, although that definitely wasn’t the case yesterday evening. I could have pulled back the throttle and not used vulgar language like I did, so I also apologize for that. I was angry and spooled up with attacks seemingly coming from all directions. I lost my bearing and used poor language choices. To the members here and the moderators, I apologize for that. Like I said, no hard feelings now. In fact, I’d even like to move on with those who threw some punches at me as well, we’re all a part of this hobby. I’m early on into it as a 26 year old and I have full intentions of amassing an awesome collection, and building more and more knowledge about the 98 along the way.

Last edited:
Well there you go, looks like everything has been resolved and my mistake Rob misread your posting.

Now let's get back to talking about k98k rifles!

Well there you go, looks like everything has been resolved and my mistake Rob misread your posting.

Now let's get back to talking about k98k rifles!

Yes please! Warrior, to go back to your comment earlier, I’d love to see the data you have so far on Erma/Feima production.

Especially as two of the books are now all sold, and as has been said, all will likely to have been sold within 12+ months or so, and then no one will be able to say go buy the books.........so what happens then to any new people when they ask a question on here?

Or does the forum become a select clique of 'book owners' rather than K98 owners?

I've not been to a site where the international membership is more knowledgeable and generous with the knowledge and free assistance. Some of us have expended a significant amount of time and effort compiling things like the pic sticky reference and helping. Regrettably (without reference to the OP and this brush up), there are always a few driveby, lazy people who don't care to invest time in reading or using a search feature, much less investing money in buying good reference. Like bobbly bald headed spastic baby birds they jerk and shriek for a free meal that has already been digested for them. This site is not for them and such people will be aggrieved, but no matter, they are generally drive bys anyway, looking for someone to give them a free meal. I must say that many times I am surprised at the level of help graciously extended by the members here even to such bobbleheads.

It's quite the wank move to suggest as you have. It's offensive to me, in a humorous way. I generally (and arbitrarily) issue avatars (some permanent) for such impertinence as it's good for order, morale, and of course, it amuses me. And make no mistake, my amusement is important to me. You aren't out the woods yet on the avatar thing, we'll see how the rest of my day goes.

Cheers,
HB

All said and done, I am gonna take another look at the beautiful album for Bigdibbs’ 660. That in it of itself is worth viewing more than once. Both seller and the new owner should be proud.

I agree the it's in the books or it's on the forum is unnecessary. If you don't want to answer someone's question don't reply to it. I'm sure there are others who will answer it. If no one answers than the person asking will have no choicez but to search a little harder or buy a set of books. Regardless let things play out on their own. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back