Third Party Press

AC44 ejection pattern/distance with shooters kit.

Excellent thread guys! Learning some good info here!

PS: Some of you guys are truly cunning linguists! I’m giggling here reading some of the replies! Lol

I had a similar malfunction in my AC44, hammer following the bolt home. The bottom of the bolt was not pushing the hammer far enough
down for the sear to engage.
First I thought that the bottom of the bolt was worn, but it looked good.
What it turned out to be was the back end of the stamped steel bolt carrier, it was not all the way down and making solid contact with the receiver.
This resulted in the bolt travelling too high and not pushing the hammer down far enough.
The cause of this was the two holes in the back of the bolt carrier, slightly elongated allowing the bolt carrier to lift off the receiver.
The pins protruding through these holes are from the spring detent disc.
My solution, not that elegant, was to carefully peen the two holes with a punch in order for the pins to fit tight and bringing the bolt carrier
down into tight contact with the receiver.
Solved my issue, have fired at least a couple of hundred rounds since.
Hopes this helps.
Herman

The way it's supposed to work , with the trigger held all the way back, the first hammer hook is supposed to catch the disconnector when the bolt comes back , then when the trigger is released the hammer will jump off the disconnector onto the second hook (trigger resets ) and you're ready to fire. But in some rifles the disconnector may be too far down to grab the hammer hook, and the hammer will follow the bolt so it may also help to back off the little screw in the trigger bar so the sear will not go down so far.

Last edited:
I did back off the screw as much as I feel comfortable with. I hope to test it out after these rounds of rain finish next week.

It's easy to test it without going to the range, just take out the magazine, hold the trigger all the way back and cycle the action.
Hammer should stay back, first hook on the disconnector, release trigger, you will hear a click when hammer slips off the disconnector and resets.
Than pull trigger and hammer should fall if all is working as it should.
Do this repeatedly and you should have the same results.

I did the reset test you suggested although I didn’t have it out of the wood so not sure what’s going on until I take it out of wood. When I pulled bolt all the way to rear while holding trigger and then releasing trigger would not reset. If pulled and released without holding trigger to rear it would catch the hammer but not sure if by sear or by the “burr” shown in previous pictures. I need to pull out of wood and try again. May need to swap out some triggers or hammers or something.

It's easy to test it without going to the range, just take out the magazine, hold the trigger all the way back and cycle the action.
Hammer should stay back, first hook on the disconnector, release trigger, you will hear a click when hammer slips off the disconnector and resets.
Than pull trigger and hammer should fall if all is working as it should.
Do this repeatedly and you should have the same results.
Reading this it's the exact 2nd (semi) part of our function check. Good stuff.

Step 2 through 4 if we're gonna get stupid.

Last edited:
Make sure the disconnector ( the stamped steel part with the little spring tails on it )is not broken or the pin holding it on to the sear assembly is not missing or bent.
You could even verify that by just taking out the bolt assy.

I think I fixed it. Had to tweak the trigger travel set screw. Had it screwed in to far. Actually needed to screw out almost all the way out.

Set screw in too far.
IMG_0693.jpeg

Hammer will not travel far enough to catch disconnect. Itch while trigger is still held to rear during cycling.
IMG_0698.jpeg

Backing out set screw seems to allow everything to engage correctly. At this point when I release the trigger, the hammer reset properly. Of course, shooting it may give different results but I won’t know until that happens.
IMG_0704.jpeg

Military Rifle Journal
Back