Third Party Press

Back to light.

BSW 1937

Here is presentation of my only 98K but I really like it.

To make it short, I know this rifle since I was born (nearly 40 years ago) and it belongs to my family since 1944.
But to the contrary of the previous owners I have followed the French laws and legally own it. Previous keepers (3 after the Germans) have kept it into a safe.

Now here are the pictures. The front sight hood is missing on the picture but I have got it.

I just need to find rounds to fully enjoy it now!

Attachments

• DSCF2164.jpg
    DSCF2164.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF2165.jpg
    DSCF2165.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF2166.jpg
    DSCF2166.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF2167.jpg
    DSCF2167.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF2168.jpg
    DSCF2168.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF2169.jpg
    DSCF2169.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF2171.jpg
    DSCF2171.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF2172.jpg
    DSCF2172.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF2173.jpg
    DSCF2173.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF2174.jpg
    DSCF2174.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF2175.jpg
    DSCF2175.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 103
No, I don't.
It was collected by my uncle's father who was the mayor of a small village in Brittany.
When my uncle passed away, his son, my cousin, has kept it in and finally sold it to me.

It was a kind of familly secret because it was illegally owned, until last month.

For me, it was the Mauser that was locked into the uncle's safe, next to his hunting rifles.

Last edited:
Very, very nice looking rifle. One of the harder to find solid walnut stock byf rifles seen mostly in the "f" suffix range, nice to see an "e" suffix rifle. I have an "f" block in walnut myself. It looks like it was stored and kept well though the buttplate has active rust that should be taken care of soon to preserve any further advancement of the oxidation process. I love the rifle and congratulations on making it legally owned. Thats always a good step to take.

mow.

Very, very nice looking rifle. One of the harder to find solid walnut stock byf rifles seen mostly in the "f" suffix range, nice to see an "e" suffix rifle. I have an "f" block in walnut myself. It looks like it was stored and kept well though the buttplate has active rust that should be taken care of soon to preserve any further advancement of the oxidation process. I love the rifle and congratulations on making it legally owned. Thats always a good step to take.

mow.

Thank you.

I really like the stock and will take care of the oxidation soon. I haven't clean it at all.

Really nice looking K98 and glad you thought it was important enough too keep in the family. What did you have to do to make it legal?

Really nice looking K98 and glad you thought it was important enough too keep in the family. What did you have to do to make it legal?

Here is the procedure to own a rifle in military caliber in France:
- Be a member of the French shooting federation, and of a local club.
- Make your shooting license validate by a physician.
- Make three test sessions into the club, with at least two months between each.
- Have a favorable notice from the president of the club and the federation.
- Make a file with the evidences of all the above, plus the fact that you own a safe for the rifle and ammunitions, at your home.
- Wait one to three months for the authorities to check the file and the fact that you are a good citizen.
- Then you have an authorization to buy a rifle in a military caliber, within three months.

If you are fast, it takes around 9 months.

And you have to ask for the renewal of your authorization(s) every three years. For that, you have to pass three test sessions per year and of course justify that you have been a member of the federation and a club in-between.
Of course, if you don't have an authorization anymore, you have to sell your rifles, or make them deactivated.

This explains why so many French collectors chose to modify their rifles in a non military caliber, mostly 8X60 for the Mauser 98K.

This explains why so many French collectors chose to modify their rifles in a non military caliber, mostly 8X60 for the Mauser 98K.

Because as everyone knows, non-military calibers are much less deadly than military ones. :facepalm:

Glad to see you made the effort to keep it original.

Because as everyone knows, non-military calibers are much less deadly than military ones. :facepalm:

Glad to see you made the effort to keep it original.

This "non-military" rule dates from 1939. It was made to prevent the use of military stocked ammunitions by civilians during a revolution or riots.
That was the fear of the moment for the French government at the time, this with a war against Germany.

This will certainly change soon. At least, we hope so.

I have just taken this rifle in parts.
No bad surprise except a little rust that will be easily removed.
The original grease was still there between the stock, the handguard and the barrel.

Does the “2 18 43” I have found under the butt plate mean the stock was manufactured the 18th February 1943?

Know, I will clean the parts.

Last edited:
Does the “2 18 43” I have found under the butt plate mean the stock was manufactured the 18th February 1943?

Generally known this is the 18th (around May?) week of 1943, the 2 is anybody's guess.

Here is the procedure to own a rifle in military caliber in France:
- Be a member of the French shooting federation, and of a local club.
- Make your shooting license validate by a physician.
- Make three test sessions into the club, with at least two months between each.
- Have a favorable notice from the president of the club and the federation.
- Make a file with the evidences of all the above, plus the fact that you own a safe for the rifle and ammunitions, at your home.
- Wait one to three months for the authorities to check the file and the fact that you are a good citizen.
- Then you have an authorization to buy a rifle in a military caliber, within three months.

If you are fast, it takes around 9 months.

And you have to ask for the renewal of your authorization(s) every three years. For that, you have to pass three test sessions per year and of course justify that you have been a member of the federation and a club in-between.
Of course, if you don't have an authorization anymore, you have to sell your rifles, or make them deactivated.

First I would like to say that is a Wonderful K98 well kept for so many Years . Second once again we see how the Politicians we elect do there own bidding once Elected to office , Instead of do the Bidding of the Voters in which whom put them in this Position to do the Voters Bidding . Something VERY Wrong with this type of thing being allowed to continue to keep happening . When will People wake from there do nothing attitude and take back what was never given away to begin with .Sorry for the Political Side to get throne in here but so fed up with this happening here and else were . Best Regards

Well, I have fired this rifle and it was pure fun!

40 rounds at 300m in a day.

Now, I will try to use it regularly to improve my results.

Thank you.
So, this is a good indication of the production date of my e block BYF 43.

Close. This is when the stock was completed and moved into the parts pipeline. My bringback duffel cut byf43 I repaired has a stock date of 12/29/42 and was assembled in January '43, SN 21247 no suffix.

101_0301.jpg

PM

PM

Nice rifle

Nice rifle, looks good! glad you got in registered now its legal worthy of a display case
Here is the rifle I just bought this from a veterans son in PEI canada it was in his family since 1944 his dad found this in a fox hole in belgium in 1944, he had to cut the stock so it would fit in his duffle bag to bring it back to canada with him.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shaunman79/sets/72157626899420714/

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back